ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

British Firepower

Well I got a rare outing from the office today - managed to be invited to the British Army Combined Arms Firepower Demonstration on Salisbury Plain! Was a great afternoon with lots of big toys wizzing about, ranging from Quad bikes, through to Challenger 2 Main Battle Tanks and Apache helicopters.

Needless to say I took the camera along, although the grandstand wasn't great for photo ops, since it was quite a shallow and cramped grandstand. However I did manage to get loads of shots, allbeit 80% had people's head in.....the lighting was also pretty tricky, with a grey but bright sky and dull terrain. Got absolutely covered in dust, since the plain is damn dry at the moment and the Apache hovering overhead kicked up a sandstorm.

Anyway, here are a selection of photos - not by best by any means, but they capture the action well. Let me know what you reckon.

3402359026_cc5ab2eb7b_b.jpg

3401553859_d805f1e627_b.jpg

3402358798_da9fac4f22_b.jpg

3401552525_47a6fba70e_b.jpg

3401551569_4327c1aaa5_b.jpg

3401549653_3ed4760e1c_b.jpg

3402354138_507c935e71_b.jpg

And one last one BOOOOOOMMMM!

3402359448_ce98bf1ae6_b.jpg

There are some more on my Flickr account

RS6+ & 40d MSport X5
Take it u liked the Chally 2's firing?

I was a Challenger 2 advanced gunner for 6 yrs!

:)

Amazing pics, that missile/RPG/whateverthehellitis shot is incredible.

Heard this going on all day (I live in Hilperton), quite a few jets flying over really low and could here the guns in the distance.

It's a Javelin - I managed to get a series of three...

3401550909_8000918bf8_b.jpg

3402356718_a98a5995c1_b.jpg

3401551569_4327c1aaa5_b.jpg

It's a reasonably tight crop as 200mm was a bit short at times, plus peoples heads were getting in the way.

Re. getting to this sort of event....I work for a big defence company and work on contracts that support some of the vehicles in the pics.

Last edited:
  Cupra
amazing pics. I went to one of there days when i was at school. Part of the cadet force recruitment drive. Was an awesome day out, beats the royal tournament hands down. Lol

Skoda
Amazing pics, that missile/RPG/whateverthehellitis shot is incredible.

Heard this going on all day (I live in Hilperton), quite a few jets flying over really low and could here the guns in the distance.

Javelin missile... nice bit of taliban busting kit:rasp:

Nimbus Megane R26
isnt just used against tanks iirc. Anything terry taliban is hiding in, it can be used against.

Nice shots mate, lucky boy getting to see that lot! live rounds coming out that apache?

Cheers all.

Yep - live rounds from the Apache. I only got three or four reasonable photos of the Apache, dark subject on a bright grey / white sky was playing havoc with the metering (tried spot & evaluative) which meant some were very blown out and others far too dark.

Revels Mum & Sister
Awesome I did not realise the Apache ejected the casings. When I worked at GKN the US ones had collector boxs!

They let off some seriously big 'thing' on the hill today. Sat at work and all of a sudden the entire building/windows/desks etc started shaking. Lived under the Plain for 27 years and I've never felt anything like it in my life.

LY 182 FF CUPPED
did this job for 2 years.....pain in the rectum!!!!

3 weeks of rehearsals lol

great shots though