ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

bucket seats , but keeping standard seatbelts

Golf TDI
just wondering someone could tell me how it works after fitting bucket seats , basically i wouldnt have the money for harnesses straight away so at first would want to keep the standard seat belts . i looked today and it seems to me that the part your seatbelt clips into is part of the standard chair /seat . ? how would i go about keeping that . :)

Clio Sport 182
unbolt the pre tensioner and bolt it on the seat frame on the bucket seat if it has the mounting for it...

Golf TDI
so before i was to buy a set of subframes i would need to find out if it had the mouting for the pre tensioner ?

you'll not be able to thread the standard belt through the slots in the sides of the seat though, and depending upon the depth of the seat (with the standard belt pulled over the top), you might not be particularly secure 'in the event'.

Golf TDI
its quite confusing all this about seats . could someone clear it all up for me . basically i want bucket seats and harnesses . but then you have side mounted ? base mounted ? pre tensioner ? lol sorry for sounding a bit dull , i think i understand but i would like it if someone could enlighten me on it all . do i need base mounted ? side ?

most likely side mounted in a Clio i'd have thought - although i guess it depends upon the application. if you used a subframe (expensive and not the best idea), they'd be base mounted.

basic advice when buying seats is to try them before you buy.

i know the Forzas are attractive at that price but they are (or were - don't know if they've been redesigned) quite uncomfortable. they're a very deep seat and the springs in the front of the cushion rub the back of the knees; the sides of the seat are high (at the hips) and you'll almost certainly have the problem i mentioned above with the belt tightening against the seat and not your lap.

apart from the try-before-you-buy thing, i'd wait until you can afford to fit harnesses at the same time

Golf TDI
just been looking at harnesses now after that comment ^^^ basically was wondering whats the whole 3 point / 4 point harnesses about ? whats better etc and where are these points that theyre bolted too ? thanks in advance .

ATS CUP'd Dynamique
you can thread the belt through bucket seats ! I did it for about a year !you just undo the bar at the bottom of the B-pillar where the seatbelt is bolted to, thread the belt through the side hole in the bucket seat and then reattach the belt to the bar.

( it will look like this )

Porsche_911_GT3_RS_5d.jpg

To clear up your issue, you can have side mounted and base mounted buckets. Base mounted HAVE to be mounted by using a subframe but side mounted seats can either be bolted to a subframe or straight to the floorpan. My bucket seat was side mounted but i attached it to a subframe so it could be adjustable. ALSO, the clio floor plan is an awkward shape ( not flat) therefore it is easier to mount the sidemounts to a subframe.

Golf TDI
you can thread the belt through bucket seats ! I did it for about a year !you just undo the bar at the bottom of the B-pillar where the seatbelt is bolted to, thread the belt through the side hole in the bucket seat and then reattach the belt to the bar.

( it will look like this )

Porsche_911_GT3_RS_5d.jpg

To clear up your issue, you can have side mounted and base mounted buckets. Base mounted HAVE to be mounted by using a subframe but side mounted seats can either be bolted to a subframe or straight to the floorpan. My bucket seat was side mounted but i attached it to a subframe so it could be adjustable. ALSO, the clio floor plan is an awkward shape ( not flat) therefore it is easier to mount the sidemounts to a subframe.

so basically if i was to buy side mounted seats then i buy the mounts and drill / bolt the mounts straight to my floor wheras subframes fit to the standard holes ?! .

Golf TDI
sounds alot easier just to buy subframes then ...hense why they are probably more expensive i take it .