ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Jon Foz mounts for standard seats?

hopgop1

ClioSport Club Member
I've had my 182 a little while now and being (very) tall I'm a little fed up of constantly brushing my head against the headlining, I'm used to it and I still love the car, but I'd like to at least get an idea of how best to fix it. I know you can remove the seat spacers for a few extra mm, but I'd like to gain a bit more than that and I'm not convinced it hasn't already been done in mine, my drivers seat sits a bit lower than the passenger one (or is that just the height adjust you don't get on the passenger side?).
The only aftermarket seats I'd want would be a pair of black leather Recaro pole positions, but there's not a chance I'm spending that sort of money right now, so my question is, can I mount my standard seats and runners to, say, the Jon Foz seat mounts everyone raves about? If they fit so many aftermarket seats, I don't see why they wouldn't work with the standard seats? Although I've never even removed a seat from a car, let alone fitted new ones.
Any advice appreciated.

the_baron_von_richthofen

ClioSport Club Member
  2003 Clio 172 Cup
I don't think this would work because when you fit a bucket seat the lowered subframe bolts onto the car through the holes that the standard seat bolts through.

Then the side mounts go in the lowered part of the sub frame.

hopgop1

ClioSport Club Member
I don't think this would work because when you fit a bucket seat the lowered subframe bolts onto the car through the holes that the standard seat bolts through.

Then the side mounts go in the lowered part of the sub frame.
Right that makes sense. Sounds like I’m stuck until I want to upgrade seats, if I ever do.
Thanks

chazza114

ClioSport Club Member
Send him a message on facebook, he's very helpful and assited me for setting up the Recaros in my 172. He has various lowering frames, so he might have one that fits the standard seats.

Darryl_1983

ClioSport Club Member
  RB 182 Cup
Sounds like you need some Trendlines with his xlow seat rails…I have some soon to be for sale

The Recaro mounts he sells are different to the xlow mounts for bucket seats. You only drop about 1 inch with Recaro's and the specific mounts he sells, as the seat is still mounted to the top of the exhaust tunnel, with the runners and space for the pretensioner bolts to be mounted above this. I think I measured over 4 inch in total from the exhaust tunnel to the underside of the seat.

When I had Evo 8 Trendlines in my old RB, I bought the xlow bucket seat mounts and mounted directly to the subframes without runners. The underside of the seat needed to sit flush with the exhaust tunnel as the seat was too wide to drop any lower and still sit central to the wheel. But this allowed me to drop about 5 inches lower than the standard seat.

This is passenger seat in the background is using the jon foz recaro mounts vs the driver seat drop using the xlow subframes for reference
20200407_130305.jpg

I needed to use some spacer to avoid clashing with the exhaust tunnel, so a section of 25mm x 40mm (may have been 30mm deep) box section was cut, with a 3mm washer underneath.
20200413_180547.jpg

And from the top the seats were a few mm too wide hence this was the lowest they could be mounted and be central to the wheel
20200413_180614.jpg

I can't find any pictures of the belt buckles, but i used a Pug 106 buckle and fixed to a eye bolt through the subframe and tunnel with spreader plate underneath.

Haha don't tempt me, I like the look of the treadlines but I think I'd prefer leather seats, plus I'm not sure they're worth what they go for.

The lux model Megane r26's came with leather trendline I believe. But realistically you'd be better off with bucket seats if you don't need access to the rear. I'm 6' 3" myself and found Mirco seats really comfy for my size. I think from memory you're local to me, so if you wanted to go down that route GSM is only in Cotgrave and have a big selection of seats on display for trying out.

Pegasaurus Rex

Bon Jovi Officianado
ClioSport Club Member
Yeah but I didn’t want to fit a non fixed bucket directly to the floor. 1” is a pretty big drop in practice. It certainly changed the feel of the car, especially when I dropped the steering column further. I am fitting pole positions now, but will be fitting with runners now I think as even though I have no back seats I like having some form of access to the rear.

Either way, My opinion now is if you want a seat for anything other than cool looks, fit a proper bucket. Trendlines look cool, but are not supportive enough

Thrust-Rated

President of the KMAG fan club.
ClioSport Club Member
  F31 35d, Berlingo Na
Haha don't tempt me, I like the look of the treadlines but I think I'd prefer leather seats, plus I'm not sure they're worth what they go for.

Just look at them as a little investment you sit on and enjoy. You'll never lose money on them