ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Building a work sharing system.

Typhoon

Gangsta
ClioSport Moderator
Bascially, we all use OneDrive at work so we can go in to the folder, update spreadsheets and everyone has it to hand.

OneDrive is a little bit sh*t. We're also not interested in DropBox.

We have a spare PC which we'd like to turn in to a server of some sort.

How would we go about this?

We want that desktop hidden away somewhere, where all users can connect to it and share/view/edit files on it?

Any ideas?

Cheers

JonnyK

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
  500 Bhp Golf R 7.5
just setup a network share? essentially using the spare PC as a NAS. Depends how much storage you need I guess!

Typhoon

Gangsta
ClioSport Moderator
I was going to use FreeNAS OS but it requires at least 8GB ram for the new distro. This only has 2GB ram. Don't need much storage to be honest. I was going to set up a homegroup on it but that would mean setting everyones laptop(s)/desktop(s)/tablet(s) to "Home" as the wifi group here wouldn't it?

If you just need to have one folder everyone can view while in the office, just share a folder on the spare PC? Literally share it, and set each machine up with the login credentials (Run: control keymgr.dll). Map the drive on each machine. Done.

If you want to go fancier, on the spare PC install Server 2008 or newer, create multiple users (or one if you'd rather), share a folder to those users, add user credentials to each machine, done.

FF Clio 182
A whole standalone PC for file sharing is a little over kill.

Either set a shared folder on one of the computers (requires it to be on for access) or if you need more space, purchase a USB hard drive and connect it to one of the computers and map that as a shared drive.

BMW M4; S1000 RR
A whole standalone PC for file sharing is a little over kill.

My thoughts entirely. Unless you were going to give your company a technology overhaul and move to some sort of multiuser database, using a server just to share spreadsheets seems like wasted investment and then another maintenance overhead.