ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

bump / Side strips

just removed the black side strips off my clio and going to make it smoove just wondering whats best way to do this ////

many thanks :)

I'm doing this. Don't weld them whatever you do it'll cause a load of distortion as the panel is so big. I'm just testing at the minute so i've used 2 different methods on each door.

On one side i've fixed a metal plate to fill the hole with chemical metal. I've then fibreglassed over it and will skim with filler.

On the otherside I roughed the metal up with some sandpaper and have just filled it with fibreglass filler.

Whichever cracks first is getting redone with the other method.

Matt

clowo16v said:
I'm doing this. Don't weld them whatever you do it'll cause a load of distortion as the panel is so big. I'm just testing at the minute so i've used 2 different methods on each door.

On one side i've fixed a metal plate to fill the hole with chemical metal. I've then fibreglassed over it and will skim with filler.

On the otherside I roughed the metal up with some sandpaper and have just filled it with fibreglass filler.

Whichever cracks first is getting redone with the other method.

Matt

i thought if u just Slap filler in it. it will all crack ???? from door slamming and s**t

Not sure just trying it should be OK my mates got a corsa done the same and thats been fine for a couple of years.

Matt

keep me informed how urs going. have u just done the strips or have u doen the door handles and locks ?
im going fibreglass filler mine soon and not paint it for about a year so i no its all gone right and no cracks

im about to take the handles off but wondering if i should do the same with that or weld plates. i have welded plates behide the lock

many thanks mate

i have put fiber glass right into the holes pushed right in then belt that up a bit then filler over the top it was all smooth but 2 day i shut the door and it cracks :'( any over ideas people

many thanks

Clio mk1 1.2
weld up handles and lay matt in the bumpstrip grooves then sand it back and filler over the top, if you just fill the hole it will crack after a while