ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Bumper Strips

Clio mk2 1.2
Im thinking of painting my bumper strips gloss black has anyone done this?

20958_312494275527_695605527_400578.jpg

17022010344.jpg

Hi! I'm actually in the middle of doing my black ph2 sides, front and back.

It does take quite some work if you want it to look good but this is what you'll need.

Sandpaper, from 120, 240, 400, 800 to 1200 grit
Some grey plastic primer
Paint, I'm using halfords colour match.
Clear lacquer.
And depending on how fussy you are on wanting a body shop finish and having a completely flat clearcote, you may want some Cutting Paste.

Start off by using the 120 grit to strip off the texture of the bumpers, once you get to bare plastic go up to 240 grit and sand out the scratches, working up to 400 grit.

Wash the plastics with a decent detergent and make sure you rinse well and dry it off without leaving any lint on it.

give it a few coats of plastic primer (about three thin coats should do depending on how well you sanded it) leave about 15 mins between each coat then allow to dry over night.

sand it with some 1200 grit and wash it again to remove all of the dust.

Paint, again as with the primer work your way up through about 3 light coats, leave it over night and sand again with 1200 grit and wash.

lacquer should then be sprayed on in about 3 to 5 light coats to get a good finish. and after a week or two the lacquer should be hardened enough to flatten using rubbing compound.

Hope this helps, and sorry for such a lengthy post!
I'm off to finish mine! :)

MK3

Dynamiqueee
There's a yellow 106 GTI near me that's painted there strips gloss black, looks pot on! Not sure how it would work with white though. Have you done it yet?

Daz.

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 200 RS EDC
it'll look chipped to fook in a few thousand miles, leave it as it is.

1.5dci
yea, would be great if you can post some pics, i've been thinking about doing this, or something different to normal to the inserts, just to avoid the grey meh look

Clio mk2 1.2
nahh aint done it yet due to lack of pennies,
nd havent decided on doing it yet dunno to go smooth or gloss black :S

3 Series touring
yea, would be great if you can post some pics, i've been thinking about doing this, or something different to normal to the inserts, just to avoid the grey meh look

i've done it on mine..will get a pic up tomorrow,

takes a while to sand down etc , but its really worth it in the end...wont fade like the grey plastic either!