ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

buying guide to clay and wax! help!

mk2 Leon Cupra
I have read that its a good idea to clay and wax your car.
Ive got a inferno orange 182 cup and need some advise on what good affordable products to buy and how to use properly.

Cheers
Tom

Porsche Boxster987S
i used megs quick clay with detailing spray a couple weeks back. had very good results. polished it with srp afterwards and then gave the car a coat of dodo juice orange crush wax and the shine / finish was immense. worth the cash imo

Porsche Boxster987S
yea mate it would work a treat. some people apply with a foam applicator pad but i just used my hand and put it on in thin layers , left for 10mins then buffed off. i put pics up of the finish it left

Porsche Boxster987S
links not working for some reason:S

thread is called LY182s first detail (dodo juice orange crush style) , in clio section

Last edited:

RichCup

ClioSport Club Member
Bilt hamber is the stuff you want mate :) The normal clay is mild to medium so is very good if you're car has never been clayed or hasn't been clayed in a while or you can go for the softer one which is a little bit milder. Best thing is you only need to use water as a lube so saves you loads on quick detailer! Here's the stuff:

http://www.bilthamber.com/autoclaybuy.php

Or you can get it in a very good value package here:

http://www.carnaubawaxshop.co.uk/shop/viewproduct.php?product_id=94

If you need a mitt, microfibres etc etc then definately go for the second deal!

RichCup

ClioSport Club Member
Cool. Is the clay a problem on the plastics? Do you have to be careful?
Tom

Won't do anything to the plastic, but if you've put any sort of trim stuff on the plastic you'll end up with black marks in your clay which will reduce the number of times it can be used.

Just as a pointer, you need to use a new piece of clay whenever you can't get a clean bit after folding it over. The 200g clay I posted will last you ages!

L'arctic Bleu Clio 182FF
i used megs quick clay with detailing spray a couple weeks back. had very good results. polished it with srp afterwards and then gave the car a coat of dodo juice orange crush wax and the shine / finish was immense. worth the cash imo

Hey Paul, thinking of claying soon too... Does the Meg quick clay come with the detailer, or do you have to buy it separately?...

Porsche Boxster987S

Hey Paul, thinking of claying soon too... Does the Meg quick clay come with the detailer, or do you have to buy it separately?...

nope it comes with it:) 11pound iirc

Inferno 182
2nd vote for the Bilt Hamber clay here.
Wax wise you could do a lot worse than either Collinites or more Bilt Hamber product - the auto balm. A very durable polish and wax in one, brilliant for hiding swirl marks. Either of these are much better value than the Orange Crush but I have not tried that one myself so cannot make direct comparison. Auto Glym super resin polish and extra gloss protection is a very good combo and you can get both for cheaper than the orange crush.
Check out the Detailing world site for recommendations on everything. Beware, it's addictive though.

L'arctic Bleu Clio 182FF

Sweet, think i'll go for that then me thinks!
Assuming you do a proper job and cover all the paint, how much time should you allow to clay the whole car?.... never done it before, and doing it before someone comes over with a rotary! ;)

L'arctic Bleu Clio 182FF
2nd vote for the Bilt Hamber clay here.
Wax wise you could do a lot worse than either Collinites or more Bilt Hamber product - the auto balm. A very durable polish and wax in one, brilliant for hiding swirl marks. Either of these are much better value than the Orange Crush but I have not tried that one myself so cannot make direct comparison. Auto Glym super resin polish and extra gloss protection is a very good combo and you can get both for cheaper than the orange crush.
Check out the Detailing world site for recommendations on everything. Beware, it's addictive though.

AG SRP
AG EGP
+ Wax

All 3 ftw!!

RichCup

ClioSport Club Member

Sweet, think i'll go for that then me thinks!
Assuming you do a proper job and cover all the paint, how much time should you allow to clay the whole car?.... never done it before, and doing it before someone comes over with a rotary! ;)

Mate, go for the bilt hamber! Much better than the megs and you get loads more for the same price! Plus no need for the quik detailer either.

If the car's never been clayed before, I'd say an hour to two hours depending on how bad it is, especially with the megs clay as it's quite mild.

Si

RS Clio 172
megs clay does the job as said before. great for the price too concidering what you get.

bit money saving advice - you only really need to use half (or less) of the clay bars provided in the megs pack. use it wisely and you'll get at least 4 claying sessions out of the 2 bars and 1 bottle of quik detailer. Got told this at a meguiars open day i went to :p

12012008305.jpg

as for other bits.... i went off SRP cos of how dusty it is. i now use clearkote vanilla mousse (get it on ebay) it's soooooo easy to use and gives just as good results.

Wax? P21s every time. also available on ebay. same seller i believe.