ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

calipers

wot is every one using to paint there calipers? ive seen some kits about 4 20 quid and ive heard that you can use hammerite,is it any good? or is it best to get the kit?

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)

Can i ask a question, is there any point to this? (serious not taking the piss)

i just dont see it.

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)

and thats the reason you came up with.

you can see my calipers too, but i havent painted them.

Bubbles

ClioSport Club Member
  BMW I4 M50

Hehe, purple is on the inside.. And tom.. i dunno, just something people like to do.

yea but mine r rusted and look sh*t through my wheels so best of paintin em!

Bubbles lookin good but cant say i saw ne purple! maybe its the new tints ;)

they just make them look a bit tidier especially on an older car cos they are all pooey and horrible well mine were anyway!

mine are blue and i did them with hammerite cos its cheaper than that sh*tey caliper paint and does the same job

you got more of it so you can do the drums too thats what i did but its personal opinion

vix

BMW 320d Sport

Painted calipers are the nuts as long as you choose the right colour. The Foliatec stuff is perfect for the job and everything is included, proper brake cleaner, the right paint, everything. You could save a few quid by getting Hammerite but do you really want a hammered finish on your calipers? And I dont know what temperature hammerite goes up to either.

Quote: Originally posted by Nick Read on 08 September 2003

Painted calipers are the nuts as long as you choose the right colour. The Foliatec stuff is perfect for the job and everything is included, proper brake cleaner, the right paint, everything. You could save a few quid by getting Hammerite but do you really want a hammered finish on your calipers? And I dont know what temperature hammerite goes up to either.
You can get Smooth Hammerite now - I have it ready for mine.

it goes up high enough cos i checked that before i got it

mine come out mint but depends on whether you are an artist or not! lol

just need a wire brush to get rid of all the sh*te then you can paint over it

I wouldnt paint my calipers purely because id feel stupid if i was next to a car with Brembos or such like, i dont consider it the best idea to attract attention to crappy 2 pots with tiny discs!

Wouldnt it be best to just get a nice brake upgrade? Then its not all shout and no clout. I understand some peeps like the attention, but you shouldnt disappoint viewers! ;)

-Rob

Depends, not everyone paints their Calipers to look like Brembos.. they paint them to make them look better than rusty brown things..

E87 118i

just dont paint the rear drums (if you got em) a funny colour......

I had mine redone black the other day when I had a puncture, just to "clean" em up.

Some people do them black - or Silver.. or Gold.

I know there are a few calipers which come as Gold as standard..

Quote: Originally posted by RobFenn on 08 September 2003

I wouldnt paint my calipers purely because id feel stupid if i was next to a car with Brembos or such like, i dont consider it the best idea to attract attention to crappy 2 pots with tiny discs!
Wouldnt it be best to just get a nice brake upgrade? Then its not all shout and no clout. I understand some peeps like the attention, but you shouldnt disappoint viewers! ;)

-Rob

This coming from the bloke that has 172 Cup alloys and a CUP number plate on his black 1.2, do you feel stoopid when you pull up next to a cup with a CUP number plate?

Rob,

Just painted the rear calipers on my red 172 using Hammerite and they look the nuts. It takes a lot of cleaning, masking, and then coats of paint, and loads of patience but they look awesome!

When the wheels go back on you cant really see the callipers because the spokes on standard 172 wheels are pretty thick so was a bit disapointed until a mate of mine drove along side me on the motorway!

He stopped me at work and said that he had noticed them straight away and the red calipers really looked nice with the red car.

Morale of the storey is that you cant really see them when standing still but look great when you are moving.

cheers guys. My clios in red so im gonna do my calipers the same colour, I think it will look pretty cool. Still not sure wot to use, but I will let u know how I got on when I decide.

Well, Im going to Hammerite my calipers sometime this week probably - so Ill let ya know how I get on..

Well, itll appear "dry" after about an hour.. but it wont be properly done for a good few hours - I plan on not using my car for 24 hours after Ive done them... just to be safe.

I painted mine back cos i wantd them tidy but not try to make them look like like anything special, but then i was shafted cos on a white car its easy to make bits stand out ina bad way, ie blue calipers/blue car not a problem!

Now i have a big brake conversion i plan to just go over them again smooth black cos they have had a beating, but with the phase 2 standards alloys you can hardly see the disks and the calipers dont look that amazing through them anyway.

I use the proper caliper paint cos its 2 part epoxy and dries well quick if you use a little more activator than they tell you, was driving mine half hour after id finished. hammerite is fine though it would seem, just takes alot longer to dry.

I used engine enamel/laquer since its realy thick, up to the heat, and is available in a squad of colours for a fiver (throw in three quid for spray brake cleaner and you r laughing). However they need touched up know, so cant say it lasted brilliantly, wee bit over a year maybe, but they got worked hard, so cant moan and I still have the origianl paint to redo it!