ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Calling all House bashers/Sparkys/AV Guru's

So a quick sketch on AC shows what i have to work with.

Image1-1.jpg

Now the probelm, the sketch is not to scale just for illistrative purposes.

The master bedroom has no Aerial point installed, meaning we cant use one of our new freeview tv's in there.

Is there anything i can do with out chopping out the wall, running some coax from the booster in the loft down through the wall and then getting it bonded, and skimmed ?

Thought about trying to come out the loft somewhere down the outside wall (left of the bed), then in through the cavity ?

Thanks in advance

Justin

Can't you just drill a hole in the ceiling against the wall, the run the coax down the wall in some of that plastic trunking stuff and then paint it the same colour as the wall, then fix a aerial point to the wall?

Not very technical, and not the neatest suggestion, but probs easiest.

Edit: Will be interested to answers as I will be doing this when I move into my house as I have the same problem.

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)
Which of those walls is exterior?

Go outside and drill back in.

Clio 172mk2
ye aggree with that ^^^

if u have cable in loft how does it get to one of the other rooms on same floor or down stairs, could always split that then go under flooring

ye aggree with that ^^^

if u have cable in loft how does it get to one of the other rooms on same floor or down stairs, could always split that then go under flooring

Goes through the wall, when the house was built the builders chased it into the wall to go from the loft down to the lounge. Then bonded it and skimmed it.

Want the neatest job possible, but also the best job possiblle.

Clio 172mk2
out side would be only option really for neatest, any other way would have a cable showing either down the wall from loft , or up the wall from living room , providing that u can go straight up.

VaVa
Outside and in. No point even considering anything else if you have access to an exterior wall and aren't re-decorating!

Make sure you at least use a splitter. Or an amp if your signal is weak.

Last edited:
Outside and in. No point even considering anything else if you have access to an exterior wall and aren't re-decorating!

Make sure you at least use a splitter. Or an amp if your signal is weak.

Already got a 4 way booster in the lost, so just need to take a spur off that.

Well i know there are a few guru's on here so i thought i would ask first, as i am new to this home owner stuff.

VaVa
Where the cable re-enters the house. Clip the cable so it enters the hole from below. Stops water running down the cable straight into your house.

Revels Mum & Sister
You can also get small shelters that will sit over the hole and help stop rain being driven in the hole that way.

Ah ok, great help. Will do this when i am on my feet again, thanks fellas.

Pic below shows it all.

cmfg5-9.gif

Trophy #267
^ easiest / quickest. getting to edge of my loft was a b**ch once so i managed to poke a stick down the interior cavity (eggshell plasterboard) and just make a hole above the skirtingboard where the cable popped out. wasnt the easiest and took quite a bit of shouting swearing and to ing and fro ing but in the end it looks really neat and tidy. dependson access in loft and interior walls

Got some proper walls in my house mate, so i think it might be harder to do it that way, being brick and all ?

Masonary Drill bit should do it yeh, and a hammer drill.

LOL whoever attempts it first can report back with tips.

Checking for services where drilling would be a good one!! I need to check if I'm going to have mine on an external wall though, if it's internal then I'm stuck.

B

Brown.

^ easiest / quickest. getting to edge of my loft was a b**ch once so i managed to poke a stick down the interior cavity (eggshell plasterboard) and just make a hole above the skirtingboard where the cable popped out. wasnt the easiest and took quite a bit of shouting swearing and to ing and fro ing but in the end it looks really neat and tidy. dependson access in loft and interior walls

this man knows his stuff..... before poking knock up from the hole to the ceiling to check there is no obstructions ie dot-dab......how the pro's doit;)

.....for gods sake try everything but chasing or drilling the outer wall (chase only if you intend to paper).....skyTV drill the outer wall for their own HSE policy and for their own ease not yours.....dampness will creep in

B

Brown.

i just read your previous post, if you dont have plaster board wall you wont be able to poke, you will have to chase then plaster over.....or use white trunking.... dot dab is a blob of plaster used to stick PB to brick

even with brick walls there will be a small gap between the brick and the plaster wall...

Bumder With A Buffer
Take a pic of your bedroom as You can get white coax cable and you could come down in the corner and run it down the wall?

(I used to be an Aerial fitter a few years ago :) )

B

Brown.

might just say f**k it and chase it in then.

lol..... quick way is just to lay it in a length of trunking in the corner of ya room....

if ya gonna chase try chase as small a channel as possible..... but say bye bye to getting your cable back (normally you chase then put a protecting channel and cap cover in the hole to protect the (power) cable) but seen as yours is just arial....ad just chase as wide as the cable ,then will beeasy filling it in with plaster.... you can always just sand over any bumps when it drys etc done this a few times around my house where i could not get into the loft eg downstairs kitchen, no other way then to chase..... going via loft is silly some times as it means over 20 meters of cableis required

I can skim a wall, but i might get my mate who is a pro to do it, he did my kkitched and got rid of the horrible orannge artex for me for £60. I will have to chase it out though, but i might chase it out then run some white trunking in the channel, then get him into bond it then skim it.

Just wanted to keep mess to a min as i have a feeling she will go tits when i tell her what i am going to do lol

Polo + Micra
wall mount near the top of the wall and only bring a short length down to tv?

just an idea

Ph1 172 + Combo van
Chase the wall out. Mini trunking or capping over the cable. Plaster it.

Can you not try going behind the plasterboard first? Isit a fairly new house?

fulhamfcboy

ClioSport Club Member
  Laguna V6 and 19 16v
Which of those walls is exterior?

Go outside and drill back in.

Why would you drill inwards? I would have though it made more sense locating where you want the cable to exit from inside the house, then drill outwards as it will be a clean hole, where as drilling from outsdie in risks blowing plaster etc?