ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Cam belt quote!!!

Clio182, Mini Cooper 1275
Just been quoted 250 quid for new cam belt inc pullys and fitting by my lovely mechanic!! ....should i laugh or ask his daughter to marry me?

Cheap. Cambelt kit alone is £100 give or take, then add 4-5 hours steady labour. I assume at that price he's not replacing the aux belt too, nevermind the aux kit?

Cheap. Cambelt kit alone is £100 give or take, then add 4-5 hours steady labour. I assume at that price he's not replacing the aux belt too, nevermind the aux kit?

Didnt think to mention the aux at the time as i fell over when he quoted me for the cambelt, i will see if he will do it for a bag of chips and a rizla

assuming thats not including parts? and even at that i wouldnt bother unless he has the correct tools or the timing will be out

inc parts, i know! cannot belive it really, he knows me and knows the car and has apparently changed a fair few on this engine, comes with a guarantee too. i will post back next week when its fitted and if all is good post his number on here for all.

Ph1
To quote a old saying, usually if it sounds too good to be true it usually is!

Sounds like he's doing it for free as the parts wont be far off 250 alone. Hope he's got the right timing tools too

Volvo S60 T5
Bargain!!

Non genuine kit I take it, nothing wrong with them at all.
Make sure he changes the Aux belt as well, you would be suprised at the amount of cambelt changes I have seen without the aux belt change.

Ph1
Make sure he has the right timing tools. If he has and youve searched all the bits you need to replace like x2 belt kits and tensioner then your on to a winner.....unlike the bloke doing it haha

K-Tec are charging £350 for the full cambelt kit and aux belt during August/September (for aircon models, £280 for non aircon)... much cheaper than every other quote i've had, they were all £400+

Golf GTD Mk7
K-Tec are charging £350 for the full cambelt kit and aux belt during August/September (for aircon models, £280 for non aircon)... much cheaper than every other quote i've had, they were all £400+

Good deal that :approve:

Lionel Richie
aux belt KIT should always be fitted IMO, but that's just me, do it all at once or don't bother, the amount of noisy/knackered aux belt idlers i see is ridiculous!

Craig

ClioSport Club Member
  E46 330i tourer
so like i got my aux belt done end of last year 36k. my cambelt is due next year because its 5 years old do i get the aux belt done again the car is only on 41k.

Craig

ClioSport Club Member
  E46 330i tourer
so im best getting the aux belt done again? the cambelt was getting done anyway btw

thanks

Mondeo TDCI 130
aux belt KIT should always be fitted IMO, but that's just me, do it all at once or don't bother, the amount of noisy/knackered aux belt idlers i see is ridiculous!

What fred says!! The amount of broken plastic pulleys etc is unreal!

Peace of mind for a few extra quid at the time!!

Clio 172 Cup
Booked into Ktec on 17th Sept, handy cause car's in London anyways, going to see Coldplay at Webley Stadium on the Friday, talk about killing 2 birds with 1 stone!

Happy as a pig in s**t!

172 Cup £285 for the lot, bargain of the century!

Craig

ClioSport Club Member
  E46 330i tourer
^^ lol can imagine Renault wanted £700 for the 36k pmsl. will be going to birchdown for mine

172 Cup
£250's about right for a nice PJ. Thats what i charge people to do them. To do it quickly, it takes about 2 hours on a full fat, 1 hour on a cup! Change the aux belts at the same time, as said already, its been removed to fit the other parts!! Special tools are critical to these engines as even a couple degree's can cause 10bhp out of the mid range!

Oh and dont forget the camhaft end cap's!!

Booked into Ktec on 17th Sept, handy cause car's in London anyways, going to see Coldplay at Webley Stadium on the Friday, talk about killing 2 birds with 1 stone!

Happy as a pig in s**t!

172 Cup £285 for the lot, bargain of the century!

dude... you know K-Tec's nowhere near London? ;)

Ph1
Try 850....

I got quoted £745 including water pump and dephaser from my local R Dealer, £70 quid more expensive than Birchdown although they quoted for the non Genuine belt. With the genuine belt difference is roughly 45 sheets wasnt going to be worth a 300 mile trip and day off work :dapprove:

Lionel Richie
if it ain't broke really, if the car has had regular oil changes with decent oil then it should be fine

check them for play and decide from there

So really something that can only be decided once the belt is being changed? I was hoping there might be some kind of audible indication it was on it's way out like a rumbling or whining bearing or something.

It's A Reno

That is scary cheap. What's their normal price for the same work?

SG9 Forester STi
Mine needs doing so I reckon a trip to Ktec is needed ,for that price can't really say no.