ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Cam kit for my 1.2

Mk2 V6, MK1 Track Sl#g

Does anyone know a manufacturer that sell a cam kit for my lil 1.2? and does anyone know a reasonable price for fitting one or know anyone who will fit one?

FN2 Type R +MK6 Golf

Im not being funny mate ,but why would you want to put cams in a 1.2.Youll get them and youll gain about 4bhp coz your engine is so small and youll still get overtaken by a 1.6.

Seriously,Wait your time and get a bigger car before you tune it,and i mean at least a 16v.

Again no offence,just been down that road before.

Regards,ian

Nissan R35 GT-R

Seriously - if you want your car to go fast, buy a fast car in the first place. Itll be far less trouble for you in the long run.

Thats not to say dont modify your car to make it personalised and your pride and joy, but you cannot make it fast with little mods here and there.

Just my opinion - again speaking from experience. Dont take my opinion in a derogatory way.

Save your money and buy a valver !! Im 19 now but was 18 when i got my valver ! And trust me itll be faster than anything you can do to your 1.2 (except a 5k GTT conversion)

IF HE WANTS TO, LET HIM

LEAVE IT AT THAT

who are we to tell him what he can and cant do

dont recommend other cars, he wants the 1.2 16v, which is why he bought it

the above really gets my goat

[/rant over]

Nissan R35 GT-R

Quote: Originally posted by bambam on 03 December 2003

[/rant over]
Then why does he want it to perform like it isnt a 1.2 16v if thats "why he bought it"?
Oh and [/rant over] should be written </rant>(rant in here)</rant> to comply with the XML 1.0 specification. :D

Quote: Originally posted by Frosty on 03 December 2003

Seriously - if you want your car to go fast, buy a fast car in the first place. Itll be far less trouble for you in the long run.

Thats not to say dont modify your car to make it personalised and your pride and joy, but you cannot make it fast with little mods here and there.

Just my opinion - again speaking from experience. Dont take my opinion in a derogatory way.

So why do the 172 boys create endless threads about chips and exhausts? Doesnt really make your car faster..but people think it does.

The problem with adding a better cam to your 1.2 is that the car already has not little torque and the cam will make that worse. However, piper cams can fettle with yours if you send it to them. Youd need a pulley too to make it worth it..and some headwork..gas flow. Youd get a sound gain from that, but the amount spent would be disproportionate as youd be the first so taking all development costs too..its not worth it. But then modifying has never been worth it financially.

-Rob

frosty - i wanted a 1.2 16v, as it was a sensible car, and i was likely to kill myself in another powerful car, it was cheap(ish) to run, free to insure, never went wrong on me, got stolen :(

but that didnt stop me from wanting to make it quicker than it was

std 1/4 mile - 18.8 (santa pod)
exhaust & filter - 18.5 (santa pod)
exhaust & filter 18.0 (york) 18.1 (santa pod)

0.8s over a 1/4 mile is quite a good distance for a 1.2 16v and it brought it up in line with the Punto Sporting in a straight line, but handled better than it

again, its out of choice, but if someone wants to modify a slower car, let them do it, its like you adding an exhaust and filter to your car, in essence you will not see much gains ofut of them, but you want to do it, because you think your car will be quicker

KDF

Audi TT Stronic

Quote: Originally posted by Frosty on 04 December 2003
Quote: Originally posted by bambam on 03 December 2003

[/rant over][/QUOTE]Then why does he want it to perform like it isnt a 1.2 16v if thats "why he bought it"?Oh and [/rant over] should be written </rant>(rant in here)</rant> to comply with the XML 1.0 specification. :D

shouldnt that be <rant>(rant in here)</rant> thereby ACTUALLY complying with XML 1.0 ? without the / in the first tag ... ;)

Oh and [/rant over] should be written </rant>(rant in here)</rant> to comply with the XML 1.0 specification. :D
That should actually be <rant>rant in here</rant>

;)

H22A7 Accord Type R

*********dont go mental at me for this.........see the funny side.........im defending the 1.2 16v........

Why would a 172 owner want to add chips, exhausts and filters to their cars when a 1.6 saxo is still up their arse laughing at them with a pocket full of cash on him?????

*Rob - 1.2 16v owner! lol.

**please note, i love the 172s, just felt like adding that in defence! Like Bambam says, let the guy!

Well for my 1.2 16v I was going to put a super charger on it and NOS... Should get about 100bhp normal and 150 with nos... I bet Id beat a 172!

Remapped derv Golf

Oh yeah and how much would that cost then!?!?! What if the 172 had NOS! We could go on about this all day! The point we are trying to get across is there is no point spending thousands and thousand of pounds getting a little 1.2 produce the power of a 1.6! In the hope that your might just be able to beat your mates VTR round B&Q car park:) (just a joke)

A 1.3 Rallye may have 100 bhp but still only has 80lb ft!

You could spend over 10k on a 1.2 but still get back into another time zone by a old 5k Pulsar, Lancer Evo 1 or scooby wrx!

I think if youre of the frame of mind to modify a car youre going to do so whether its a 1.2 or a ferrari so its not really a question of just buy something faster. Sure, hell get a gain with a camd 1.2 which is what hes interested in so fair play as long as he can afford to take the consequences of doing so.

However, IMHO, theres always a line - at the end of the day it is a 1.2 and at best will never really be quick no matter how hard its pushed so hell never be truely content with it. Using a quicker car as a base in the first place will always be more rewarding.

Nissan R35 GT-R

Quote: Originally posted by Roamer on 04 December 2003

That should actually be <rant>rant in here</rant>

;)
Youre quite right.

In my haste to post a smart-ass comment I got the syntax wrong myself. Still Im pleased you all saw the funny side of it.

Nissan R35 GT-R

Quote: Originally posted by Steve on 04 December 2003

Well for my 1.2 16v I was going to put a super charger on it and NOS... Should get about 100bhp normal and 150 with nos... I bet Id beat a 172!
Yea, and how long before that blows up?

Dont tell me - you were going to alleviate the problem of too high a static compression ratio by fitting two head gaskets instead of fitting low compression pistons.

And what gearbox was going to transfer all that power to the road?

Where were you going to get an ECU from to account for the extra fuel load needed for the 100 nitrous jet and the supercharger or did you think the standard Renault unit would be more than up to the job? If you were planning on a wet system instead, how were you going to link up the other injector? An off the shelf solution probably - great!

Your car would be so unreliable its just funny!

So now youve got all this power - your going fast and, "Oh no - I cant get it round the corner because Im going too fast, I cant scrub off enough speed because my breakes are designed to stop a car with 75bhp, and I have drums at the rear. I cant get round the corner at this speed either because I have 1.2 16v suspension - fine if your doing 30mph - but..."

Do you see the problems Im getting at. You would be much better off buying something that can do the job in the first place.

Im not against tuning in any shape or form - but dont build a house on a swamp, have a good solid foundation and itll be better in the long-run.

(Before anyone has a go - a swamp is just a metaphor, Im not saying 1.2s are crap at all - Im just saying its not a good foundation for a performance car).

Dont tell me - you were going to alleviate the problem of too high a static compression ratio by fitting two head gaskets instead of fitting low compression pistons.

Where were you going to get an ECU from to account for the extra fuel load needed for the 100 nitrous jet and the supercharger or did you think the standard Renault unit would be more than up to the job? If you were planning on a wet system instead, how were you going to link up the other injector? An off the shelf solution probably - great!

So now youve got all this power - your going fast and, "Oh no - I cant get it round the corner because Im going too fast, I cant scrub off enough speed because my breakes are designed to stop a car with 75bhp, and I have drums at the rear. I cant get round the corner at this speed either because I have 1.2 16v suspension - fine if your doing 30mph - but..."

Do you see the problems Im getting at. You would be much better off buying something that can do the job in the first place.

Im not against tuning in any shape or form - but dont build a house on a swamp, have a good solid foundation and itll be better in the long-run.

(Before anyone has a go - a swamp is just a metaphor, Im not saying 1.2s are crap at all - Im just saying its not a good foundation for a performance car).
Lol chill... Im just mucking round... Ive done all I want to do to my car im just saving up for a Type R or something...

Ive got K-Tec Relocation pipe and piper X filter, K-Tec Exhaust, Green stuff pads and Spax suspension... There is no point in doing much more as you say its only a 1.2

NOS kits dont use the ECU to give it fuel it takes fuel directly from the line and mixes it with nitous oxide sprayed into the induction....

But what your saying then, why mod a 172 why not save up and get something faster? It would only be unreliable eh

Seems to me that moding a 172 to the point where it would kill 95% of other cars would not make it that unreliable at all.....

hmm..

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

" Why would a 172 owner want to add chips, exhausts and filters to their cars when a 1.6 saxo is still up their arse laughing at them with a pocket full of cash on him????? "

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- really? hope u r jokin ! LOL ;)

H22A7 Accord Type R

lol ...........only used it to get my point across!!!! it seems that some 172 owners like to point out that they have the car with the bigger penis..........hmmm, thinking about it, why modify a 172 when u could have a V6!!! lol! i mean this all in good humour, but if the guy wants to modify his 1.2 16v to give himself a greater smile factor.........why not!!??i got a panel filter for mine to get the most out of the air filtration, and an exhaust to give it a nice noise to drive to for the years i have it!! Im happy! yea if you want a fast car, buy one, but there is nothing wrong with having a little car u can afford and tweaking it to your own preferences.

At the end of the day, there is always going to be something faster..........i DID enjoy pulling away from a Corsa SXI 1.2 16v on the motorway last weekend!! Easy 5th gear job!!! Each to their own guy n gals, i know my 1.2 16v aint fast, sounds it, but it aint, ........makes me smile though, and thats what i pay for!!!!!! MINT!! :D cams on a 1.2 16v..........why not!

-Rob

Nissan R35 GT-R

Lol chill... Im just mucking round... Ive done all I want to do to my car im just saving up for a Type R or something...

Ive got K-Tec Relocation pipe and piper X filter, K-Tec Exhaust, Green stuff pads and Spax suspension... There is no point in doing much more as you say its only a 1.2

NOS kits dont use the ECU to give it fuel it takes fuel directly from the line and mixes it with nitous oxide sprayed into the induction....

But what your saying then, why mod a 172 why not save up and get something faster? It would only be unreliable eh
This is it - youve hit the nail on the head. Bolt on stuff like exhausts and filters are fine which is as far as youve gone. Their power gains are minimul on these cars, but they add the personalised touch to the car.

And your right - why mod a 172 (as in properly mod e.g. turbo, wild cams etc, steel botom end etc.). The 172 is fairly near the sensible power through front wheel drive limit, so if you want much more power then buy something with more power.

Remember this is my opinion - and its what I do. Each to their own. I am advising, not dictating. :D

BTW I didnt mean to sound harsh in my last post, but I thought you were totally serious as I didnt see a smiley face in it.