ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

cambelt change

just like to know what the signs are of when the cambelt needs to be changed, I know there are guidelines like 72k/5yrs but is there anyway u can see if they need changing before hand. reason im asking is because when i start my car i get a high idle roughly 1200rpm but it goes down to 900rpm after 5mins but when at high idle it does make a louder noise from the engine bay

thanks

BMW M135i
No signs really they can fail at any time. 5yrs/72k is the longest you should leave it between changed, ideally 4yrs/60k is more realistic to err on the safe side.

ITB'd MK1
high idle when cold sounds normal. No real indicators it needs doing until it breaks, but if you've done a few you can take the top cover off and kind of tell when a belt is old and dry. If you've no evidence it's been done then just do it

172 CUP
Whats the average price for a cam belt + aux belt change inc parts and labour from a reputable independant garage?

Thanks,

Chris

worth a search mate, seems to be a common topic at the moment, anyting around 500 quid mark iirc

if i'm right on thinking, on a cup its a pretty straightforward job - literally 1-2 hrs so you should be able to get it done pretty cheap (i think its got something to do with not having the air con? the kit only costs £130ish i think)
otherwise i paid £250 for my standard 172, but have seen quotes for anthing between £300 - £700 on these forums so it seems to depend where you live

Lionel Richie
1-2 hours to change a cambelt on a 172 cup? good luck with that!

FOR THE 10000000000000000 TIME, MAKE SURE WHOEVER DOES IT HAS THE SPECIAL RENAULT TOOLS!