ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Cambelt Snapped :( :(

Lunar Mk1 & Flamer

There i was Driving my beast this morning new i needed fuel but light haddnt come on so knew i was ok for a while. Got going up a hill then suddenly engine died and thought damn run out of fuel. Pulled over at bottom of hill got Step mum to bring a can of unledded tried starting. Nothing. Tried again gave abit of gas. Nothing. Got Towed to nearest garage and bloke told me cam belt had gone. Bugger! Now if ive screwed the timing and bent the valves how much is it gonna cost me to repair? If iam one of the luckey ones and all i need is the cam belt how much for that?

1.2 Rl E type engine i think

Iam hoping its the second option! Ideas people? Is it gonna be cheaper to lob and old engine in it? 1.2 or 1.4?? Even RSI or Va Va Valver. Or if iam feeling flush a GT conversion (BUT THESE ARE A LAST RESORT!)

Skoda Fabia vRS

well there is a 1.4 engine sat on the floor of GDI at the moment that needs a home mate, brand new clutch and fairly new starter motor on it....

not sure on the cost of the other stuff to be honest, be a few hundred id have thought

mate im gutted for ya big time!!

I have a valver engine and gear box you can have for £250 fella!!;)

Go on you know you wanna!!

yes m8. Id get an engine transplant rather than getting your own 1200cc repaired. If u can afford it, see about getting a 1.6 8V megane conversin or something. Sorry to hear about the situation.

if you had it, you should have rang the AA up and they repair it for the price of a cam belt! - unless youve bent the valves. A cam belt to get fitted is around 130 quid but if your valves have seen better days then perhaps a new engine is a better idea.

300bhp MR2 Turbo

I fcuked up my RT so bad the piper-x air filter shot off the top of the throttle body!!

£500 fitted including a newer engine on 26k miles. - Cant argue with that!!

Only took a few days to find an engine and get a garage to fit it for me too.

Itll cost around 475quid to repair your on old engine at most garages. It is quite likely that you have damaged some valves. My GF cambelt snapped on her 1.2 about 2months ago. She was doing about 30mph and damaged 5 valves.

If it was me i would try and get hold of a 1.4 engine and put that in.

joe

Tough break mate, on your way to your test thats double sh*te!

Hate to be the one to tell you this but more often than not on smaller engines youll have buggered the valves, as mentioned above its cheaper, easier and quicker to replace the whole engine, than bugger about getting the other one repaired, its all the labour cost thatll bump the price up.

20VT Clio & 9-5 HOT

id go for a bigger engine for def. mine snapped on my old RT and it cost me about £250 to get it repaired! which wasnt bad, but now is a prime chance to get some extra power!

Lunar Mk1 & Flamer

I2ich16v- I Knew you were gonna say that!!

yeah was propper gutted! kicked car so hard in a fit of anger the number plate came off and i hurt my toe (which i found out today i broke :D:D :( PMSL!!)

Went to garage today and he fitted a new belt and yup ive dammaged some valves but he said even if all 8 valves are foobared then it will cost no more than £300 which is cheaper than lobbing in a new engine and DEFINATLY CHEAPER ON INSURANCE! Got some silly quotes today! (would need a disc conversion etc etc not worth the hassle!) happy with my 4 speed box and 1.2 engine for now (but i did drive a valver today! f**k me are they quick! neeeeeeeeeeed!)

oh well wait 2 more years and may be just maybe (next test 5th jan wish us luck!)