ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Camera and lens maintenance

The Boosh!

ClioSport Admin
  Elise, Duster
Hello!

Had my camera a while now, but would like it checking over, and the mirrors cleaned etc to make sure it's alright.

Where can I take it and how much am I looking to pay? Also, how often does it need doing?

Luke :)

Ian

Focus TDCi
You can take it into a local camera shop and they'll send it to be cleaned for you I think. There is a place that people recommend but I can't think of it's name. There's also a place you should steer clear of, but again I can't remember lol. I'll try and find them.

As for how often, it depends how heavy usage it's getting and in what conditions. Cameras are typically rated for around 50-150,000 actuations, so they're pretty solid. I imagine for what you're using it for, once every year to clean the sensor is probably enough (and you can do that yourself if you want).

I've never had to clean my sensor in the 14 months that I've owned the camera and I swap lenses a lot, if that's any help lol. Just be careful when changing lenses.

Oil Burner
Fixation is a popular place to get cameras repaired or serviced.

Sensor cleaning is something you can learn yourself, its easy enough - if a little scary the first few times.

Personally untill there is an issue, i wouldnt worry. If your careful swapping lenses then sensors shouldnt get too dirty.

3 Series touring
probably only worth cleaning when you can SEE its dirty in thte pictures (if your going to pay for it, if you DIY then clean whenever you feel like)

but if you are going to get it done by someone, find a well respected camera shop in your local area, id avoid jessops like the plaugue just incase you get a moron following a set of instructions he was told on his first day 2 years ago!

clio 182 black /gold
I have a fly in my lense. It is not on the pictures but anoying in the view finder.

clio 182 black /gold
Have you checked to see if it's in any of your other lenses....could be on the mirror if you can actually see it in the viewfinder.
I have not changed the lense no. It might be on the mirror as it is not on the pictures.

Oil Burner
I have not changed the lense no. It might be on the mirror as it is not on the pictures.

If it is then getting a rocket blower and opening the camera up and holding it upside-down while blowing some air onto the mirror will probably solve your problem. Don't use compressed air from a can, the propellent wont do the camera much good.

clio 182 black /gold
If it is then getting a rocket blower and opening the camera up and holding it upside-down while blowing some air onto the mirror will probably solve your problem. Don't use compressed air from a can, the propellent wont do the camera much good.
How about a compresser?

Oil Burner
Not sure to be honest, rocket blowers are only about £10. I would have a look for tutorials on the web. I think as long as there isnt anything in the air that can damage the sensor (not that its going to be showing if your cleaning the mirror) or any moisture in the air is going to just make things alot worse, then it should be fine. But please find a tutorial, don't take my word for it.