ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Cams comparison Colombo vs. CatCams

Clio Sport 172 ph1
Just checking out fastchip page, I saw Colombo Bariani road medium ECU software (can't download, but lets take it as a reference)
Now almost all voices on this forum say I can't run CatCams 421 on a standard ECU successfully. on the other hand Colombo cams seemed to be running on remap.

Can someone tell me what's the big difference of those cams, that determines ability to run on standard ECU

CatCams specs:
clearance[cl] 0.00mm 0.00mm
duration[0.1mm+cl] 275° 267°
duration[1.0mm+cl] 239° 230°
valve lift[cl=0] 11.25mm 10.20mm
cam lift 5.70mm 5.20mm
peak angle 124° 104°
timing[1.0mm+cl] -4/63° 39/11°
lift at TDC[cl=0] 0.65mm 2.25mm

Colombo Briani specs:
UtilizzoStradale Medio
Alzata ASP 10.3
Alzata SCA 9.7
Angoli di Lavoro 280°/268°
Fase di distribuzione 28°-72° / 66°-22°
Calettamenti 112°
Alzate PMS ASP/SCA 1.7 / 1.0

Last edited:
  RS RIP
in english ;;)

Camshaft details Part No.R2R.SM1 MakeRenault ModelCLIO 2000 RS Model with phase variatorCamshafts codes
R2R.057.286S (1)
R2R.055.280S (1)
ApplicationRoad medium
Cam lift IN5.7 Cam lift EX5.5
Duration286°/280°
Timing19°-87° / 70°-30°
Timing with phase variator opened39°-52° / 70°-30°
Lobe center angles124°
Lobe center angles with phase variator opened104°/ °
Valve lift TDC0.5 / 1.2
Valve lift TDC with phase variator opened3.5 / 1.2
ClearanceHydraulic tappets

*** i just realised these are different specs from what you are talking about, these are however the specs C&B come up with for the "road medium"** Strange !

RS RIP
Just looked again, the specs i mentioned are for the VVT models, yours are the non vvt (?) I took the specs from the RS 2000

TVR Cerbera
Just checking out fastchip page, I saw Colombo Bariani road medium ECU software (can't download, but lets take it as a reference)
Now almost all voices on this forum say I can't run CatCams 421 on a standard ECU successfully. on the other hand Colombo cams seemed to be running on remap.

Can someone tell me what's the big difference of those cams, that determines ability to run on standard ECU

i don't think you'll find any aftermarket cams that will run on a standard ecu without a remap. i believe 421's may run with a remap(idle will be lumpy), but 428's are better on a remap as not as wild. i believe the main restriction is the electric throttle and as yours is a ph-quick you don't have that problem. best bet is to ring some suppliers / tuners ans they will tell you. you will only get so much out of the standard ecu, without going aftemaket eg omex.

i have 422's in mine and i don't think the idle is lumpy at all. omex ecu of course.

RS RIP
Yes mine 421 are VVT Cams

yes but you are mentioning the wrong specs for the C&B's in your first post. The other specs i'm mentioning are the ones for the vvt. Looking quite "wild" in comparison to the Cats and Schricks that are sold to drive on standard (remapped) ecu, but i do'nt know too much about this.. I'm curious too as i'm wanting the C&B's soon too, got my cambelt change coming up.

Clio Sport 172 ph1
by standard ECU I ment Siemens Sirius unit. I'll work on remap with RSTuner once they are in

I know idle can be a problem for most of mk2 owners
I'll on the other hand take the advantage of ph1 with mechanical throttle.
So we are down to one thing... Overlap
Since I'm new to ECU tampering ;) can someone shed some light on this matter ?
Can ECU be programed to somehow overcome this problem, I don't know, like use the highest possible value when it can't calculate it properly ?

ValverInBits

They mean that the cams will run on the standard hardware, but need a remap. iirc 428 cannot be run on the standard ECU remapped, so you need to go down the route of standalone management

I think I remeber ben saying youl need to set the idle to about 1100RPM and then unplug the ICV and it should idle okay at that speed bit of a bodge but best you can do without aftermarket ecu/tbs etc... Sorry I know not much help but im sure one of the more experienced guys will pop there head in.

Dont think itl idle well at all overlapping at warm idle but okay on fast