ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

can a mechanic

Clio MK 4
Check to see if spark plugs, ht lead, coil packs and tdc sensor are working properly? Or can you not tell until you replace these things??

Clio MK 4
ok. so if i bring it to a mechanic they can check all these things?

Basically my car has been cutting out. Only happens when outside temperature is around 13 degress or below.

Also my car misfires everytime in the morning. Second time i start it up its fine and will be for rest of day.

Then once it started i have a loud tinny sound coming from under the engine. this gets less pronounced once driven for a while but still there.

And when i just started the car in morning it idles very rough and if i hold the revs at 2k the car shakes, above 2k it fine. Again this will get better as after 10mins of driving. Also the car can be lumpy when driving sometimes

I've had new battery 4 months ago, throttle bodies cleaned 2 weeks ago and lambda sensor replaced week ago.

so im in a bit of bother lol

F4R'd ITB'd '92 cup racer
when did it last have a service?

if i was you i would replace spark plugs first then go from there, sounds like a misfire, but not sure on the loud tinny sound :S

hmmm quite recent then

could possibly be a temp sensor meaning the cold start map isnt being used on startup? best bet is to get it into a garage mate

which garage you take it to?

i 'think' its the cts sensor (coolant temp sensor) that signals the ecu to run the cold start map? someone confirm that for me?

Clio MK 4
north eastern tyres & auto care at st james retail park in knaresborough

and also the renault garage in harrgogate next to mini and honda

Clio MK 4
nope. Both got their diagnostics on to it and found nothing. Renault only found the lambda sensor to be playing up and so got that changed. Also had throttle bodies cleaned.

Even went to powerflow exhausts in leeds to get my system checked and nothing wron with that either.

Renault are however trying to blame it on my BMC kit which pisses me off as thats been on for 3 months

makes me laugh when they read the diagnostic as gospel, as if because it doesnt show on the diagnostic, it therefore doesnt have a problem :S :nono:

are you fairly handy with the spanners? or would you rather it go to a garage?

i could always take a look for you if you like? seeing as i am in harrogate :D

Clio MK 4
I am useless when it comes to mechanics. I am going to go back to the garage and give them a list to check :rasp: other wise ye i'll give you a pm. where abouts do you live? I actually live in knaresborough.

i live in harrogate, near where the TVR garage used to be on skipton road

give me a shout if you need anything mate :)

sort of ish lol

the old TVR garage is KD carpets now, near the roundabout with the little wonder pub

LY 182
dont take it to them and ask them to check those things.
take it and say check why its cutting out..

theres no need to say check all those things,, as just by hearing it running a decent tech should be able to say each of those are working ok

if the tdc sensor wasnt it wouldnt be running
if a plug was down it would be missfiring
if a lead was tracking/breaking down it would miss
coilpack same again..

it could be tdc sensor it has been known,, it would show up in diagnostics on freeze frame

more than likely wiring though