ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Can CV joints just fall apart

don't

Ok carrying on from my other topic from world of ice lowering my clio

i have spoke 2 2 garages/mechanics and they both have said they there is no way a CV joint would just fall apart

world of ice rekon it has just fallen apart due 2 it being old and also that afta it was lowered that it put more strain on it etc,

now i am a bit stuck here, at moment they r ordering in a driveshaft for me and fitting it 2mora and charging me an extra £121

I questioned the CV joint just falling 2 pieces and he rekons that he needs 2 show me it 2 get me 2 understand (so he can just point out stuff that i wont know about and just give me aload of crap possibly??)

I said can i take cv joint away with me and old driveshaft and he said no but i can c it but he needs 2 send it away by end of week 2 get money back 4 it!

so i will have 2 try 2 find a camera i rekon and take pics etc and just have a damn gd look, may ring them in morning and just say any chance of a deal c in as i have just paid u 4 aload of other stuff and i was not warned that this could happen etc

otherwise other option is 2 give in and accept it, its a tough 1 but after being told by 2 mechanics it shouldnt happen its a lil sus

thanks 4 any opinions, 1 mechanic i spoke 2 said they may have just not popped the shaft back in 2 cv joint properly or may not have noticed that they had unpopped it!! w.o.ice said they wouldnt need 2 go near cv joint etc, but been told other stuff, i.e they would need 2 move the hub and shock which would affect the cv joint

.Dave.

172 cup,s2 rs turbo

anything mechanical has the possibilty to break. post up some detailed pics so i can have a look. i must admit its rare for a joint to fail unless its run out of grease due to a split gaitor.

don't

the garage said gaitor was fine and grease all in it,

I will get pics taken 2mora but by then i will have paid 4 damage 2 b fixed which is a pain, but will try 2 find a camera 2 get sum pics done

hopefully they will knock sum money off anyway

don't

Ok just had w.o.ice on phone,

Things have now changed,, he said he fitted new driveshaft and went 2 test drive and engine Is moving a lot + gearbox, has found that engine mount has fractured and so lots of movement and so reason 4 driveshaft 2 pull out etc and damage cv joint

He said he weren’t 100% happy with his theory about c.v. joint yesterday, (i rang up last nite and questioned him about it as other garages had told me it was very odd 4 a CV joitn 2 just fall apart)

but now he knows what was the problem

He said the mount is aluminium which they don’t use anymore as they use steel, so he is replacing it with a steel mount for £10, and then guna test drive it and check everythings ok

Make any sense??? Kinda explains a lot really, more clearly anyway but could just b lying again or could have damaged the mount themselves, but 2 b honest it makes more sense, although thought I woulda noticed that much movement really unless it only went when car was lowered cos of pressure,

anyway he has the mount in stock and its only £10 extra so im just glad he spotted it b4 i screwed another 2 driveshafts up!!! so feeling bit better now

Anyway that’s how he’s left it anyway , fittin new mount soon and guna test drive it, so will have 2 c but hopefully will run smoothly now

.Dave.

E55, KitCar & '85 Quattro

that shud be ok. maybe it was on its way out, and the lowering of ure car just put that extra strain on it?

-phil-

Quote: Originally posted by Essexlad_Dave on 22 June 2004

Ok carrying on from my other topic from world of ice lowering my clio

i have spoke 2 2 garages/mechanics and they both have said they there is no way a CV joint would just fall apart

world of ice rekon it has just fallen apart due 2 it being old and also that afta it was lowered that it put more strain on it etc,

now i am a bit stuck here, at moment they r ordering in a driveshaft for me and fitting it 2mora and charging me an extra £121

I questioned the CV joint just falling 2 pieces and he rekons that he needs 2 show me it 2 get me 2 understand (so he can just point out stuff that i wont know about and just give me aload of crap possibly??)

I said can i take cv joint away with me and old driveshaft and he said no but i can c it but he needs 2 send it away by end of week 2 get money back 4 it!

so i will have 2 try 2 find a camera i rekon and take pics etc and just have a damn gd look, may ring them in morning and just say any chance of a deal c in as i have just paid u 4 aload of other stuff and i was not warned that this could happen etc

otherwise other option is 2 give in and accept it, its a tough 1 but after being told by 2 mechanics it shouldnt happen its a lil sus

thanks 4 any opinions, 1 mechanic i spoke 2 said they may have just not popped the shaft back in 2 cv joint properly or may not have noticed that they had unpopped it!! w.o.ice said they wouldnt need 2 go near cv joint etc, but been told other stuff, i.e they would need 2 move the hub and shock which would affect the cv joint

.Dave.

Do you listen or not???????????? What did i tell you yesterday???? They would not of even touched your CV Joint Or Driveshaft!!

Its not there fault if under the strain it has given up!!

Why should they warn you? You want it done so they did it! Your fault full stop!

Get over it and put it down as one of those things!!

don't

if u read about it then it says that the engine mount went

i spoke 2 , 2 mechanics last nite who both said they wil ahve had 2 move the hub and so things will have been disturbed!!!

they also both said that CV joints will not just fall apart and that if they had done the work they would hold their hands up

i listen m8 but i am being told lots of different things by different ppl so what exactly should i believe

u having a go does not really help now does it

anyway seems like things av been solved so end of, thanks 4 ur opinions b4 but having a go will not help anythin

[Edited by Essexlad_Dave on 23 June 2004 at 12:07pm]

don't

as u can tell i am stressed out!!! ignore previous reply as u were only voicing ur opinion and tryin 2 help

so thanks 4 ur opinions, the reason they have now given makes alot more sense and i am happy with it

world of ice mechanic said himself that he was not overall impressed with the reason he gave me because he knew himself it was odd

but now he has found the mount was cracked and so makes sense 2 every1

job done and all happened cos of an old engine mount, typical

don't

yea i know, they have said that reason it fell apart is cos of the engine mount, not just cos of the extra pressure on it

so in the end its the engine mount that has done the damage to everythin rather than the lowering or world of ice

will just b happy 2 b back driving it, and glad nothing else went wrong

anyway thanks 4 every1s help on this, hopefully all will come 2 an end at 6pm when i pick it up

thankgod 4 that

Sorry Dave, but it annoys me when people ask your advice and ignore it!! I had lowered both my cars previously myself and was 110% certain that they wouldnt of touched it!! And the end result shows that they did not touch it and it was nothing to do with them.

Well glad you got it all sorted in the end anyways fella, and look forward to seeing the pics

don't

cheers m8, spose best thing 2 do is do things urself then u know exactly whats been going on and only have urself 2 question and blame

did renault use 2 use aluminium engine mounts???
isit true that they now only use steel 1s

cos that engine mount is prob same 1 that car was made with in 1995

don't

got the clio back , nice £130 bill though

For new drive shaft, new engine mount, and fitting

engine mount has clean snapped, got that at home! and so engine could move and so pulled driveshaft out of cv joint, cv joint was fine basically apart from serclip had buggered off sumwhere and 1 of the bearings had fallen out

w.o.ice said cos bearing had come out needed new driveshaft>????

serclips r pennies so is he tellin truth bout cv joint cos otherwise he coulda jus fixed it and put shaft back in, was only 1 of the bearings in the CV joint that had come out............

anyway he was tellin truth about engine mount anyway and im happy 2 have car back, de-cat arrives 2mora so more fun