ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Can you hold 2 different insurance polices on a car?

RS6 C7
Hi,

Having just purchased a car from my parents i am looking at sorting insurance out, I am adding both my mum and dad as named drivers on my fully comp policy as it brings it down a fair bit.

While my dad finds a new car he wants to keep the insurance policy he as on the car with mum and him on it. I am not a named driver on the policy and the premium would be too much to add me.

Mum uses the car for business at the minute and will do for a couple of weeks until she gets a new car.

What i need to know is if it is possible to get a policy in my name with both parents as named drivers while their policy is still active? I can't afford to add them as named drivers for business as it's over £500 extra.

I have been told that you can't insure 1 car with more than 1 insurance policy. If i can't then they do have another car they can use for a while but it's not ideal.

Any help is much appreciated :)

jenic

ClioSport Club Member
When a guy at work bought a used car he had to get the free 7 days drive away insurance so the garage could buy the tax. He also had to transfer his policy the day he picked it up as it was for business use. When he rang both companies he mentioned this and they said it was fine, any claims would be split 50/50 between the 2 companies.

But, my dad who's worked in insurance all his working life told me that's not right, so I suppose it depends who you ask?

Best to ask your own insurance companies imo.

Ph1 ITB'd 172
When a guy at work bought a used car he had to get the free 7 days drive away insurance so the garage could buy the tax. He also had to transfer his policy the day he picked it up as it was for business use. When he rang both companies he mentioned this and they said it was fine, any claims would be split 50/50 between the 2 companies.

But, my dad who's worked in insurance all his working life told me that's not right, so I suppose it depends who you ask?

Best to ask your own insurance companies imo.

Yeah, I have read similar.

I believe it is more that its frowned upon as its a perfect way to fraudulantly claim on a car twice. I don't however believe it is illegal as such and therefore you can do so as long as if there is an incident you only claim on one policy.

Bluebeard

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
My loan cars specificly (sp) state that we are to either insure the car and driver ourselves or get the customer to insure it on their own seperate policy.

My broker was the one that told me its illegal and falls under dual insuring.

.Luke. is the best person to ask, he works in insurance.

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
My loan cars specificly (sp) state that we are to either insure the car and driver ourselves or get the customer to insure it on their own seperate policy.

My broker was the one that told me its illegal and falls under dual insuring.

.Luke. is the best person to ask, he works in insurance.

I never though I'd hear anyone say that, ever.

RS6 C7
I did search earlier, Some people seem to say you can, Others say it's illegal. I need a definite answer before i do anything. I can ring up tomorrow and find out.

CBR1000RR Fireblade
It's illegal to have 2 policies on one vehicle. I got stung when I sold my golf to a mate. I told my insurance company I had sold it and the person I spoke to Said it was fine to leave my policy running. Turns out they were wrong and I was mis informed and got into bother.