ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Canon 50mm F1.8 any good?

Seems reviews say image quality is excellent, but build quality is bad... but for around £50 I'm think this may be the next purchase!

Any of you Canon users got or used one and opinions?

182-racing-blue

got one you can have it if you like

I don't think that answers the question somehow.

I have one and the build quality is fine. I don't use it as much as I should. The 50mm prime lens is amazing at creating superb dof. If you get to buy one for the right price, go for it. Just make sure you use it.

I don't think that answers the question somehow.

I have one and the build quality is fine. I don't use it as much as I should. The 50mm prime lens is amazing at creating superb dof. If you get to buy one for the right price, go for it. Just make sure you use it.

doesnt answer teh question but its obvious he was after one so i was offering it to him

pfft some people

Dafthead

ClioSport Club Member
  Q8 E-Tron
Yes they're very good for portraits especially.

I've got one, use it for taking pics of dirty girls ;)

Dafthead

ClioSport Club Member
  Q8 E-Tron
Haha i'll PM when I get them on t'inters dude ;)

Just so you can get a feel for the lens....

182-racing-blue

doesnt answer teh question but its obvious he was after one so i was offering it to him

pfft some people

You remind me of a saturday kid in a diy store. Yeah this will do the job mate. Absolutely no advice. You might be selling it cos it's crap.

So how does he know if they are any good or not? It's like talking to a bird on the phone, she sounds nice but when you meet her she has ginger hair. Then it becomes a waste of time.

christ everyone one knows its a great lens hence its called the nifty fifty

and fyi i was just sorting him out some pics :)

182-racing-blue

christ everyone one knows its a great lens hence its called the nifty fifty

and fyi i was just sorting him out some pics :)

No drama mate. I don't know JJ anymore than I know anyone else on here so I take a question at face value and don't assume anyone knows anything what they ask a question about, otherwise why would they be asking?;)

all taken with 50mm1.8 MK2 on a 400d
2984014316_dc9632e5bf_o.jpg

2984014258_d92d82eefc_o.jpg

2983158393_f05113894c_o.jpg

2984014116_9612307a42_o.jpg

2984014016_4804e0259e_o.png

2984013946_1a57dfda0e_o.jpg

2984013886_58b7913525_o.jpg

2984013798_12082d0a67_o.jpg

Built like a McDonalds happy toy, focus was piss poor on my 350D and found it to long indoors but it taught me a lot and sold it on, much preferred my 28 f/1.8 and 85 f/1.8 which is fantastic but much more expensive and I just sold them on so not sure what that tells you.

For the money go for it, might have to buy mine back as I'm prime-less.

p.s. don't bother with the Canon hood.

Bestest bang for buck in the world imo, to get that kind of quality at any other focal length you are looking at hundreds of pounds.

I can't think of a single reason not to get one.

1.2 Dynamique billabong
the image quality and fast apperture are great, its a good portrait lens especially on a non full frame sensor where the 50mm becomes 80mm which is about the same focal length as the human eye

MaLicE

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
  Lazy v8
50mm is the human eye focal length, 80mm is the sweet spot for portraits.

Oh and Nifty Fifty is the **** nikonians use for the 50mm f1.8 not failures... sorry i mean canonians lol

1.2 Dynamique billabong
the image quality and fast apperture are great, its a good portrait lens especially on a non full frame sensor where the 50mm becomes 80mm which is about the same focal length as the human eye

yup i tried to edit this after posting but my internet died lol.

what i ment was on a 35mm camera its the same as the human eye, or if you are using it on a non full frame sensor its about 80mm which is a good length for portraits, mainly because something much wider will distort the face and something longer can flatten it

dk

911 GTS Cab
great value for money lens, feels very light and plasticy but the image quality is damn good.

Just not an easy lens to use IMO, takes a bit of getting used to with the very shallow DOF, its caught me out a few times.

I managed to get the nifty fifty for £30 off a friend as he has upgraded to the 1.4.

Its better built than I thought, yeah its all plastic, but it fells more sturdy than I have been led to believe! Very light, wouldn't even know its there!

Noisy AF, but nothing major, focuses quick enough for my needs and will probably be stuck on my camera more than my other lenses!

Set up now is 450D with 18-55, 55-250 and 50mm. Next is a flash!

2014 Focus Titanium
I managed to get the nifty fifty for £30 off a friend as he has upgraded to the 1.4.

Its better built than I thought, yeah its all plastic, but it fells more sturdy than I have been led to believe! Very light, wouldn't even know its there!

Noisy AF, but nothing major, focuses quick enough for my needs and will probably be stuck on my camera more than my other lenses!

Set up now is 450D with 18-55, 55-250 and 50mm. Next is a flash!

Pretty much the same as me mate! My set up is 400D + Sigma 18-50 2.8, 55-250 and 50mm. I'm getting a 580EX II for christmas :D I love all my lenses, and I think the build quality of the 50mm is grossly underwritten.

^ Agree, its no worse than the 50mm f1.8 I had on my D40, if anything its better!! Great little lens, so damn light I cant get over it! Time to go try some low light situations over the weekend!