ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Canon 50mm f1.8 Mk II £50New FTW

yup
new%20dita%20sm.jpg

Cupra
Read nothing but praise for them! People really seem to love the things..... in fact, seeing as I cannot stretch to the 10-20 with my new camera, I might add one of those to the shopping basket. :D

sn00p

ClioSport Club Member
  A blue one.
hong kong with duty exempt....dont know why people shy away from hong kong stuff, jessops stuff comes from the same place.. lol and ity only took 4 days to get to my door..... it was 50 as i haggled but normally 55 from this guy

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/NEW-Canon-50m...oryZ4687QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Only "exempt" from duty because it's being fraudulently labelled - which the receiver is liable for! Whether you actually get caught is another matter....

There do appear to be some in scotland for not much more, but not sure if they are actually in scotland or not!

hong kong with duty exempt....dont know why people shy away from hong kong stuff, jessops stuff comes from the same place.. lol and ity only took 4 days to get to my door..... it was 50 as i haggled but normally 55 from this guy

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/NEW-Canon-50m...oryZ4687QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Only "exempt" from duty because it's being fraudulently labelled - which the receiver is liable for! Whether you actually get caught is another matter....

There do appear to be some in scotland for not much more, but not sure if they are actually in scotland or not!

kerso is in scotland iirc and his is fron HK

one stop digital will refund any duty you have to pay if it gets stopped

B

Brown.

If your worried about buying from hong kong dont buy. simple. i would happily pay the few extra pounds. i just so happened to rather have my cash go to an individual rather then a corperate empire.

sn00p

ClioSport Club Member
  A blue one.

kerso is in scotland iirc and his is fron HK

one stop digital will refund any duty you have to pay if it gets stopped

Cool. Good to know about the scotland place.

Doesn't really bother me where it originates from, but it's only cheap if you avoid VAT, duty & charges. I've seen the places that guarantee to refund the charges, but I always wonder how easy and quick they actually make it.

Think I might treat myself to one of these lenses too, been thinking about it for a while now and seeing these pics and hearing even more positive comments has convinced me :)

VaVa
I love the 50mm. I got mine for about £54 off abay when I first got my camera. Absolute steal for the money.

If all else fails give it some shallow DOF lol.

IMG_1902copy.gif

riz

ClioSport Club Member
  Jaguar XFR
what does this 50mm do? blur everything in background? with a shallow depth of field?

B

Brown.

what does this 50mm do? blur everything in background? with a shallow depth of field?

noo no no and
yes

it has f/1.8 which means that every thing around the point of focus will be out of focus which is very good and low light shots are a breeze cos of such a wide apature BUT...it also goes to f/22 which......

gives you a very large depth of field so EVERYTHING is in focus......so it can be used for land scapes....but the lens is not wide angle, so unless you want a fixed focal point in your l'scape you need maybe a 30mm prime or even a fish eye 10mm and crop afterwords but these lens are hugly expensive

the main point of its greatness is its construction......its PRIME which means fixed.....therefor having less groups of blades ( lens internally) and less moving parts.....and cos the glass dosnt rotate when focusing the images are pin sharp,......you cannot get a crisper picture with another lens any were near the same money. i have used canon 24- 104 L and compared similar portrait shots...this little bute wins every time.

nuff said NOW GO BUY IT LOL

canon also do another 50mm with a F/1.4 now this is some serious s**t but costs about another 100 quid...unless your a pro, earning from photography you dont really need anything but this lens.

Last edited by a moderator:

riz

ClioSport Club Member
  Jaguar XFR

noo no no and
yes

it has f/1.8 which means that every thing around the point of focus will be out of focus which is very good and low light shots are a breeze cos of such a wide apature BUT...it also goes to f/22 which......

gives you a very large depth of field so EVERYTHING is in focus......so it can be used for land scapes....but the lens is not wide angle, so unless you want a fixed focal point in your l'scape you need maybe a 30mm prime or even a fish eye 10mm and crop afterwords but these lens are hugly expensive

the main point of its greatness is its construction......its PRIME which means fixed.....therefor having less groups of blades ( lens internally) and less moving parts.....and cos the glass dosnt rotate when focusing the images are pin sharp,......you cannot get a crisper picture with another lens any were near the same money. i have used canon 24- 104 L and compared similar portrait shots...this little bute wins every time.

nuff said NOW GO BUY IT LOL

canon also do another 50mm with a F/1.4 now this is some serious s**t but costs about another 100 quid...unless your a pro, earning from photography you dont really need anything but this lens.

so this is better for closer shots not necces. macro but not great for landscapes? compared to the standard lens that you get with a d4x what is better for landscapes this prime or standard lens?
oh and whats the nikon equivalent?

The sharpness of these things is just awesome, (I've got the Nikon 50mm f1.8, but they are essentially the same) I'm probably more impressed with that than the f1.8. At first I thought the sharpness of my kit lens was amazing compared to my previous camera, but as soon as I got the 50mm it was like stepping up another 10 levels.

I'm not one to pixel peep or anything, but if I use the 50mm and then go and use my Sigma 10-20, the difference is quite shocking. The 10-20 is by no means a bad lens, but in terms of sharpness it's certainly a weak link in my lens collection when I compare it to the 50mm.

The next best thing about the 50mm? If you have an idea, no matter how odd or stupid it is, it will be able to do it, macro, portraits, rallying, night shoots, or even just bonkers stuff...

131730214_HTWGa-L.jpg

B

Brown.

does no one read posts ffs.........

the lens is perfect for landscapes....if you want to focus on a particular subject....isolate/only look at/ only thing in the picture...... think when people say landscape it is taken to literal where the word panorama would be more precise......

no good for panorama as you will not fit a whole horizon in a pic just the selected bit.

the comparison with the f/1.4 is that the price is higher, so is the apature....more light is available to the 1.4........... i would only buy a 1.4 if i was a pro/ minted ;)

the 1.8 at f/22 will be sharper then a zoom at 50 but there wont be as much in the pic if ya get me.......

B

Brown.

so this is better for closer shots not necces. macro but not great for landscapes? compared to the standard lens that you get with a d4x what is better for landscapes this prime or standard lens?
oh and whats the nikon equivalent?

you have to stand at lest meter away for portraits. minimum focas distance is half a meter,..... to not so good as a macro, but will give the effect if the subject big enough.

GW RS200
Devastatingly fast and sharp lens. Giveaway price. Check this one of my cat - see how trees and chimney stacks of the buildings on the opposite side of the road are visible in the eye reflection. And that was handheld, no tripod, no flash!

pic_catseye.jpg

riz

ClioSport Club Member
  Jaguar XFR
does no one read posts ffs.........

the lens is perfect for landscapes....if you want to focus on a particular subject....isolate/only look at/ only thing in the picture...... think when people say landscape it is taken to literal where the word panorama would be more precise......

no good for panorama as you will not fit a whole horizon in a pic just the selected bit.

the comparison with the f/1.4 is that the price is higher, so is the apature....more light is available to the 1.4........... i would only buy a 1.4 if i was a pro/ minted ;)

the 1.8 at f/22 will be sharper then a zoom at 50 but there wont be as much in the pic if ya get me.......

lol cheers mate

riz

ClioSport Club Member
  Jaguar XFR
so would i use this instead of my normal lens or aswell as? if it can do landscapes/portraits and close up?

so would i use this instead of my normal lens or aswell as? if it can do landscapes/portraits and close up?

I would, I do infact, the 50mm lives on my camera as my standard lens, and if I want to travel light I have a small camera bag that holds my D50 and 50mm easily, don't really need anything else if you are clever/creative about it.

SLRs used to come with 50mm lens as standard, the zoom kit lens is a relatively modern thing, no doubt driven by the marketing departments.

Monaro VXR
I am still deciding between this and the Sigma 30mm F1.4 Price as long as it is under £300 isn't as issue. I just can't decide part of me tell me to go Sigma though as I think the 30mm focal range might be better for indoors compared to the 50mm.

B

Brown.

I am still deciding between this and the Sigma 30mm F1.4 Price as long as it is under £300 isn't as issue. I just can't decide part of me tell me to go Sigma though as I think the 30mm focal range might be better for indoors compared to the 50mm.

erm all i can say is you will pay alot for a sigma lens to equal this canon prime....

riz

ClioSport Club Member
  Jaguar XFR
i am going to buy this but how is this different from the standard lens? just hta its prime and has lesss lenses in it?

Dafthead

ClioSport Club Member
  Q8 E-Tron
i am going to buy this but how is this different from the standard lens? just hta its prime and has lesss lenses in it?

You mean the kit lens?

The kit lens is OK, but the 50mm is in a TOTALLY different league in terms of sharpness, plus the aperature size is significantly lower on the 50mm

Yeah there are less lenses in it, fixed lens or "prime" lenses generally offer better quality pictures