ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

I've gone Full Frame...

As I'm getting married in a few weeks and probably starting a family soon after I figured it was now or never (I can only assume I'm going to be very poor once kids arrive!), so I bought a 5D. It arrived yesterday but unfortunately my other purchase, a Canon 200mm 2.8 L II is sat in a Parcel Force Depot in Bristol. So I popped to Bath this morning and picked up the good old 50mm 1.8. Took a few quick snaps this evening even though I don't really understand the Canon way just yet, first impressions are wow, what a viewfinder, wow, just how ridiculously shallow f1.8 appears on full-frame, and after processing a few shots, wow, that's a lot of detail captured.

IMG7133a-L.jpg

Are there any other Canon FF shooters here? I'm currently figuring out which wide-standard zoom to get that I can comfortably take on holiday, the 24-105 f4 seems to tick all the boxes, anything else around the £600 second-hand budget worth considering? The other obvious option is a bunch of primes (24mm 2.8, 35mm f2, 85mm 1.8) which works out at roughly the same price and are faster but obviously means changing lens quite frequently.

dk

911 GTS Cab
Is it a I or a II?

I considered buying a II but went with the 7d as I have the 17-55f2.8 and 10-22 which I love, and wouldn't be able to use with the 5d :(

Marky_

ClioSport Club Member
I'm surprised you weren't already shooting full frame considering how good some of your stuff is!

Is it a I or a II?

I considered buying a II but went with the 7d as I have the 17-55f2.8 and 10-22 which I love, and wouldn't be able to use with the 5d :(

It's a I, second-hand at that, cost me £600. I wanted to free up as much money as possible for lens. Even though I'm not a big fan of the handling (seriously, who decided some of those button placements were a good idea?!), I went with my head rather than my heart, as Canon lens are in plentiful supply second-hand, and they hold their value reasonably well.

I'm surprised you weren't already shooting full frame considering how good some of your stuff is!

I've been shooting with Micro 4/3s for the past 8 months, even managed to shoot a wedding with it (as a last minute favour, I might add!)...amazingly it turned out very well.

Cupra
Nice choice! The 24-70 f2.8 or 24-105 f4 IS are the two main contenders for lenses. It depends on whether you need the reach and IS more than half a stop. The 24-70 is in the process of being replaced with a MKII so the should be plenty of bargains to be had in the second hand market soon if the lens quality lives up to the hype.

There are also a number of viable third party lenses too! POTN is worth dropping into for all things Canon.

I found the 50mm too wide for my purposes and recently got rid of it for an 85mm 1.8 which is also a great addition to my bag. Everybody needs different things though.

Are you planning on getting a flash too?

Nice choice! The 24-70 f2.8 or 24-105 f4 IS are the two main contenders for lenses. It depends on whether you need the reach and IS more than half a stop.

Are you planning on getting a flash too?

Had a nosey at the 24-70 today, far too big for me personally. I think the 24-105 will win, it seems perfect for travelling and we have a big honeymoon coming up so I need to sort something soon.

And yes, flash is on the list. I have absolutely no idea about them though (never used one), so I need to do some research.

Oil Burner
Glad to hear you have got another big camera. The 5d1 should still be a stunning camera, especially for the sort of stuff FF is typically used for.

I would love to get a FF camera and a 135L F2.0 or 85mm F1.8... Ubber Bokeh

Looking forward to seeing your results with it.

Nice upgrade, uber jealous... I'm one of those peasant 1.6x canon shooters! The 5D Mk1 is very appealing and IMO one of the best camera for the money on the second hand market in the canon range. What's the price on the 200 2.8L? I've been browsing the 70-200 market and the prices are extortionate!

I would love to get a FF camera and a 135L F2.0 or 85mm F1.8... Ubber Bokeh

Mmmm, 135mm f2, I had to force myself not to order one, I tend to use 200mm quite a lot when travelling so went with the 200mm 2.8 instead, still a beauty of a lens apparently so can't wait to use it (maybe even a cheeky bit of motorsport as I fancy the Festival of Speed this year).

What's the price on the 200 2.8L? I've been browsing the 70-200 market and the prices are extortionate!

£490 for the 200mm, pretty reasonable I thought, I couldn't justify the price of the 70-200, especially as it's too big to take on my travels anyway.

Still can't get my head around having Canon boxes around the house, just doesn't feel right! This arrived today, can't wait for the weekend to give it a bit of a workout...

6911782195_1101be81dc_z.jpg

My first L by Harry_S, on Flickr

2.2 bar shed.
Good effort, I cant wait for the new Canon FF body. Ditched my last EFS lens, so im stuck for a real wide angle until I get something with a real sensor now :(