ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Canon 7D or 60D

Lee

BMW M2C
I can't decide. Help.

Specs wise there's very, little in it, but I'm leaning towards the 7D due to the 8fps continous shooting.

Anyone care to thrown any thoughts or suggestions in?

Oil Burner
7d is the higher spec model. The XXd range is now more of a consumer model than it used to be. The 7d is a prosumer model.

If you have the cash then its got to be the 7d.

Lee

BMW M2C
Cheers guys. I'd pretty much decided on the 7D following some reading and a chat with the helpful dude in my local Jessops, but on paper the specs are so similar.

Last edited:

Lee

BMW M2C
buy 2nd hand 7D from somewhere like talk photograph. can get nearly new ones for about £900-£950 :)

I'm thinking Tesco Direct. Misses can get a staff discount and with cash back it's only just over a grand brand new. Hopefully I'll be able to sell my old 350D and get a couple of hundred back too.

A lad at work bought one from Hong Kong which came in at just over £800. Crazy b*****d. That's not a risk I'm prepared to take.

Oil Burner
I'm thinking Tesco Direct. Misses can get a staff discount and with cash back it's only just over a grand brand new. Hopefully I'll be able to sell my old 350D and get a couple of hundred back too.

A lad at work bought one from Hong Kong which came in at just over £800. Crazy b*****d. That's not a risk I'm prepared to take.

Its surprising how fast 1 year passes. And for a lot of people they barely use the cameras so its probably worth the risk tbh. About the worst thing that can go wrong with a camera is a shutter can go. Repairing that costs about £250, so you would still get the camera for retail in this country.

Lee

BMW M2C
I noticed simply electronics sell the 7D for £986, which is most likely an import.

If the latest models are as reliable as my old 350D which has been faultless for over 5 years, then I don't have anything to worry about.

If I bought from Hong Kong you can be sure I'd get caught out by import tax though.

Oil Burner
There are some ebay sellers that will pay the import tax for you if you get caught. Seems a fairly good deal.

Ironically i have only bought Four new camera products. Two of them have had claims made, My 40d did a shutter after only 10k (about 2 months old) - fixed under warranty, My 70-200 was replaced by the seller as it was a rubbish copy. All of my used products i have bought have been spot on.

Cupra
Nick, was your 1DIII also 2nd hand? I'd be reluctant to get a 2nd hand body as problems are not so apparent but have gone through loads of 2nd hand glass without any problems.

Oil Burner
Nick, was your 1DIII also 2nd hand? I'd be reluctant to get a 2nd hand body as problems are not so apparent but have gone through loads of 2nd hand glass without any problems.

Yup, was a bargin. And whilst it has a slight AF issue its more related to being in the effected batch of 1d mk3's at the start of production. Still its done 48k in about 9 months without fault.

Cupra
Interesting comparison. I'd agree that the 7D takes the lead for photos, and the argument fo the screen for video is fairly nonsensical as any handheld video from a DSLR is horribly shaky.

The 1D range would probably be the exception to the rule for me in terms of buying a second hand body. I'd sell a nut for one and they seem bombproof!

Lee, do not go anywhere near Simply Electronics. Or Simply Gadgets. Or whatever other name they have this week. Awful company, and you're right, they are all imports.

My camera stuff I buy in this country. Usually Jessops or a local camera shop. Any problems and it's a quick trip in the car, not having to fight with sending things back. With discount codes, quidco and a bit of shopping around, there isn't much of a difference anyway.

Lee

BMW M2C
Cheers Dan. That's what I thought when I saw the price. The 7D was £800 and something last week, which was way too cheap for a UK camera. I did some poking around on the net and the comments on them weren't good.

I love my local Jessops, the guy in there will stand and chat for hours. If I'm in town I pop in just to chat to him! I can get it for £1075 from Tesco Direct, plus that gives my misses loads of Clubcard points and she can get £30 back from Topcash back.

I'll then be needing a second batter, some super fast memory cards and most likely a grip. Good job my birthday and Christmas are on the way.

Lee

BMW M2C
Sorted. 7D is now on order.

If anyone is interested I'm going to sell my 350D. It's boxed and has all the manuals and cables, plus the standard kit lens. I'll also chuck in a 1 and 2gb memory card, the genuine battery grip, a second battery and a bag. All for £200. Otherwise it's going on eBay.

Lee

BMW M2C
Nice one.

Sounds like a good deal on the 350D too. How many shots have you taken with it?

I keep meaning to check. I'll try and remember to look this evening.

According to the guy in Jessops everyone goes on about how many shots, yet it counts for very little apparently, as that's one of the least likely areas of the camera to have a failure. I have no idea how true that is though.

Oil Burner
According to the guy in Jessops everyone goes on about how many shots, yet it counts for very little apparently, as that's one of the least likely areas of the camera to have a failure. I have no idea how true that is though.

Yeah there are certainly elements of truth in that. I would say Shutters are actually one of the more common issues on camera bodies (they are a moving part after all). However the shutter count on a camera doesn't necessarily have much to do with when they fail. I had my 2 month old 40d fail and i know a 400d that is still going on 250k, sometimes they just go - its part of life. It does however effect the resale value and as such people buying will always go for a low shot example - if only to help retain value while you own it - very much like cars.

Lee

BMW M2C
That makes sense.

Luckily for me, as with my cars, I use everything I buy with no real consideration for it's resale. I do look after everything well though.

I can't wait to see how many I've taken since I purchased it in September 2005.

How much did you end up paying for the 7D in the end Lee, if you don't mind me asking. And where from?

PM if need be please.

Cupra
I keep meaning to check. I'll try and remember to look this evening.

It was more for my own curiosity than anything. :)
Canon do have a rating for shutter life on their models though. I think that its only the pros who ever get close to meeting the limits. Like Nick, I had a 40D fail with less than 2000 shots, and it carried on after the repair for another 18,000 without a hiccup.

Canon EOS Digital Rebel XS / 1000D 100,000
Canon EOS Digital Rebel T2i / 550D ???,???
Canon EOS Digital Rebel T1i / 500D 100,000
Canon EOS Digital Rebel XSi / 450D 100,000
Canon EOS Digital Rebel XTi / 400D 50,000
Canon EOS Digital Rebel XT / 350D 50,000
Canon EOS 60D 100,000
Canon EOS 50D 100,000
Canon EOS 40D 100,000
Canon EOS 30D 100,000
Canon EOS 20D 50,000
Canon EOS 7D 150,000
Canon EOS 5D Mark II 150,000
Canon EOS 5D 100,000
Canon EOS 1D Mark IV 300,000
Canon EOS 1D Mark III 300,000
Canon EOS 1D Mark II N 200,000
Canon EOS 1DS Mark III 300,000
Canon EOS 1DS Mark II 200,000

Last edited:

Lee

BMW M2C
How much did you end up paying for the 7D in the end Lee, if you don't mind me asking. And where from?

PM if need be please.

£1,076.36 from Tesco Direct with a staff discount. Plus my misses gets loads of club card points and £30 from TopCash back. She's a good at that sort of thing!

Lee

BMW M2C
There's a lad at work who goes out to Hong Kong quite often. He can get one for around £750 for me, but I'm not taking the risk. He can get me some extras for it instead. Plus he's not going until January.

Lee

BMW M2C
I'd be saving your pennies, and getting some nice glass then.

That's my thinking. Maybe a decent macro lens. I've got a 24-105 F4L and a 70-200 F4L plus the 1.4 extender and one of the lads at work as a 100-400 L series Canon which I'm going to borrow at some point.

2.2 bar shed.
Get a 10 - 22, brilliant lens and L quality internals. Pretty much sits on my 7d most of the time.

Lee

BMW M2C
It was more for my own curiosity than anything. :)
Canon do have a rating for shutter life on their models though. I think that its only the pros who ever get close to meeting the limits. Like Nick, I had a 40D fail with less than 2000 shots, and it carried on after the repair for another 18,000 without a hiccup.

Canon EOS Digital Rebel XS / 1000D 100,000
Canon EOS Digital Rebel T2i / 550D ???,???
Canon EOS Digital Rebel T1i / 500D 100,000
Canon EOS Digital Rebel XSi / 450D 100,000
Canon EOS Digital Rebel XTi / 400D 50,000
Canon EOS Digital Rebel XT / 350D 50,000
Canon EOS 60D 100,000
Canon EOS 50D 100,000
Canon EOS 40D 100,000
Canon EOS 30D 100,000
Canon EOS 20D 50,000
Canon EOS 7D 150,000
Canon EOS 5D Mark II 150,000
Canon EOS 5D 100,000
Canon EOS 1D Mark IV 300,000
Canon EOS 1D Mark III 300,000
Canon EOS 1D Mark II N 200,000
Canon EOS 1DS Mark III 300,000
Canon EOS 1DS Mark II 200,000

Assuming this data is correct: The IMG XXXX number resets at 10,000, but on the camera in review mode, the image number says (for example, my last picture) 103-0342. The final number (3) gives you the ten thousands value.

In the 5 years I've had my 350D I've taken 49 467 pictures. It certainly doesn't owe me anything.

A red missile
That's my thinking. Maybe a decent macro lens. I've got a 24-105 F4L and a 70-200 F4L plus the 1.4 extender and one of the lads at work as a 100-400 L series Canon which I'm going to borrow at some point.

I'd be interested to see the difference between a 70-200 F4L and a 100-400, I bought a 100-400 5 years ago and it's still like brand new, people have said if you get a good one don't let it go but a bad one can be a nightmare with lockups, never seen a lockup ever so I must have got lucky.

Lee

BMW M2C
The 7d turned up today. I need to charge it but have just had a quick play with it. Dropped the 24-105 F4 L on it. It feels so much nicer in the hand, it really feels like a quality piece of kit. There are some new things to play with but overall it's not massively different to my old 350d.

I think I'll hold off on a grip for a while but will get a second battery and a couple of fast memory cards next week.

It's getting it's first proper outing at the Welsh Rally GB next weekend.

Jealous, love some of the shots and video footage I've seen people get out of these things! Feel free to ***** some pics of the body :)

Lee

BMW M2C
They are pretty epic TBH. Some of the HD video shot on DSLRs these are amazing.

I'll get some when I'm not posting from my phone.

Not sure how many of the threads I post in the media section you look at but a surprising number of the videos in them were shot with canon 5 and 7D Bodies.

Cupra
Looking forward to seeing the shots.

Sweet, would be nice to see some shots with it Lee, I've decided I'm going 5Dii now instead. I think.
You won't regret it. ... well, you might if you want speedy autofocus, but aside from that, you won't regret it. ;)

Lee

BMW M2C
Well I've still not used it in anger, but seeing as the memory card turned up I thought I'd drop it in and charge it up for the first time. So far all I've done is drop the 24-105 on it and take some pictures of flowers and my parents budgie! I've been blown away. In poor light it excels, the images are pin sharp and the colours are outstanding. So far the biggest thing for me is the way you can adjust the way it focuses right down to 1 of the 19 focal points. This might actually get me taking pictures of something other than cars for once. No matter what I did with the 350d I just couldn't get this sort of DoF going on.

I'm more than happy with my purchase, and can't wait to give it a good run at the Rally next weekend. I reckon I'll try and get out for some more general stuff too, really try and get to grips with it.