ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Canon EOS 60d announced

Skoda Fabia Vrs 180b
saw a 50d going for £500 the other day with only 4000 actuatuions. If I can shift my 500d for £350ish then I will def be happy spending less than 200 for an upgrade

ITB BG 182
Its not really an upgrade for the 50d though, it has all of 1fps quicker than the 50d, ISO speeds are basically the same, the sensor is still a cropped one, yea the pictures are 18MP with some slight features with it, the screen is well looks s**t basically, its made of plastic and not weather proof.
Not really an upgrade for people who own 50D's more like a slight jump for people who have the xxxD series of canon.
ok it can do 1080p movies but woohoo, £100 less and you can get the 7D that has alot more features and benefits over the 60D that has a swivel screen.

ITB BG 182
replacing the EOS 50D. However, following the launch of the EOS 7D, the 60D has been repositioned in the market, so isn't a simple upgrade to its predecessor the 50D. Instead the 60D is a smaller camera featuring an articulated screen and plastic body shell and utilizing SD memory cards. It combines the 18MP CMOS sensor and 1040k dot 3.0" LCD from the EOS 550D (Rebel T2i) with the AF system from the 50D. Meanwhile it gains the 7D's HD movie capability

Ie stick with your 50D's or get a 7D.

ITB BG 182
Andy, the 60D is not significantly better than your 500D, Keep the 500D and save a few £££ till you can afford either the 7d or a full frame 5dmII. You can pick up second hand 5d mk2's for about 800 now though.

ITB BG 182
dunganick is the mk2 the new new ones or am i getting the 5ds and 1ds mixed as i know one of them is nearly up mk5 now.
I know the old version of the 5d can be had on fleabay for about 800.

A red missile
Looks decent but I can't justify swapping from the 30D, don't even use that enough. If I blow any more on gear it'll be more glass most likely.

Cupra
Sounds like a nice camera. I'll see if i can borrow one and give it a test. The xxD range is never a huge jump up from the xxxDs. They just offer better ergonomics and a couple of nice features.

Once the new model premium is dropped it'll probably be easier to justify it's existance.

Skoda Fabia Vrs 180b
not wanting a full frame as cant justify starting all lens etc from scratch. 7d would be nice bit way too much money for me :(

Cupra
I thought the same way about full frame until I tried it. I then sold all my old EF-S glass and made the jump. The difference in quality makes it well worth the hassle and investment IMHO. But I regularly pixel peep and bin shots that are not sharp at 100%. Other people don't worry about it so much.

A mate of mine jumped to a 2Nd hand 5D(MkI) from a 40D and was also sold on full frame in an instant. For some people, frame rate and auto focus are more important so the xxD or 7D make more sense, or the D700 (boooooo). ;)

Give it a go if you get a chance and see if it adds something to your work. :)

Skoda Fabia Vrs 180b
Im scared it would add to my work and since I am skint would have to sell my bottom to buy one and I dont fancy that prospect!

Oil Burner
Or go half way, 1.3 crop. I cant comment on full frame as i've never owned one, but the 1.3 crop gives you shallower DOF and better ISO (to name a few advantages) and it completely changed my photography from using 1.6 crops. Bokeh.... mmmm

ITB BG 182
Well spoke to some one tonight about the 60D and was told with a 2.8 lens on zoom it was not holding the image with some thing moving, yea it has the nifty screen so you can get shot from off the floor without laying down.
But was told it would not do sport photography, now im going for the 7D i know that much with one of the 2.8 lenses.

Cupra
Whoever you spoke to was wrong. If my 5DII can track a moving object then the 60D will do just fine. The 5D has a pretty basic AF system FYI!! Perhaps they meant that it wouldn't do it through live view? The 7D won't do it either AFAIK.

That said, if you can afford it, then the 7 is clearly the better camera but you will have to do some reading to get the most from the AF system on it from what I've heard.

Oil Burner
has anyone in this country even got a 60d to try besides maybe magazines? How would someone know?

The AF system is very similar to the 50d, which isnt bad.

As Andy says, the 5D2 copes and thats not really designed for sports photography.

dk

911 GTS Cab
Well spoke to some one tonight about the 60D and was told with a 2.8 lens on zoom it was not holding the image with some thing moving, yea it has the nifty screen so you can get shot from off the floor without laying down.
But was told it would not do sport photography, now im going for the 7D i know that much with one of the 2.8 lenses.

well i've never had an issue with my 50d and sport, its very good, i do lots of motorsport with it, infact i thought the 50d was aimed at the sport photographer. Thats with an f4 lens though. maybe its because they have changed to a plastic body if you're talking about the lens moving as its heavy?

i'd like a 7d, can't justify changing from the 50d though, and can't go to a 5d mkII as i have loads of EF-s lenses. i like the extra length a crop sensor gives me on the 200mm.

ITB BG 182
I looked at getting the 50d with a f2.8 lens but after talking to some of the people who take ice hockey photos under poor lighting the 50d could get a good image but could not freeze the image.
The 60d has almost the same as the 50d but has the HD video from the 7D an 1fps quicker than the 50d.
Although the 60D might be good for editing in camera your loosing some features that would be better rather than a mix and match camera from other models.

Now ive spoken to many people who own a 7d and some that have a 5dmk2 or mk1, now the 5d's do get good images from having a full sensor but the frame rate is lost with 4fps, yet you will still get highly good image quality just not be able to get 'frozen' action shots like im after.
The 7d has 18mp pictures and able to shoot in raw or jpeg at the press of a button, it also shoots video in hd quality with 1080dpi, on top of this it shoots a continous 8fps for 126 consecutive shots and i have seen many images where people have taken photos of icehockey players moving fast that look frozen to cars at high speeds and the list goes on, the only camera to shoot faster than a 7d is the 1d and now your talking silly money.

I looked at getting the 50d with a f2.8 lens but after talking to some of the people who take ice hockey photos under poor lighting the 50d could get a good image but could not freeze the image.
The 60d has almost the same as the 50d but has the HD video from the 7D an 1fps quicker than the 50d.
Although the 60D might be good for editing in camera your loosing some features that would be better rather than a mix and match camera from other models.

Now ive spoken to many people who own a 7d and some that have a 5dmk2 or mk1, now the 5d's do get good images from having a full sensor but the frame rate is lost with 4fps, yet you will still get highly good image quality just not be able to get 'frozen' action shots like im after.
The 7d has 18mp pictures and able to shoot in raw or jpeg at the press of a button, it also shoots video in hd quality with 1080dpi, on top of this it shoots a continous 8fps for 126 consecutive shots and i have seen many images where people have taken photos of icehockey players moving fast that look frozen to cars at high speeds and the list goes on, the only camera to shoot faster than a 7d is the 1d and now your talking silly money.

At the end of the day it's the shutter speed that will allow you to freeze the action and not the fps. To do this in low lighting you'll need a fast lens (f2.8 probably) - and adjust the ISO accordingly to get a high enough shutter speed to freeze the action - you can do this whether you're shooting a Rebel, xxD, 7D or 5D. Clearly the overall image quality and amount of noise will vary depending on the relative noise handling abilities of the body.

dk

911 GTS Cab
i'm not sure what you mean by frozen look? the fps has nothing to do with how fast the camera can shoot to 'freeze' the action, its all about taking several shots of the same target to see the action move. Personally i've never really felt the need to take advantage of 6.3 fps, let alone any faster. when taking fast moving objects i'd say the AF system is more important.

dk

911 GTS Cab
At the end of the day it's the shutter speed that will allow you to freeze the action and not the fps. To do this in low lighting you'll need a fast lens (f2.8 probably) - and adjust the ISO accordingly to get a high enough shutter speed to freeze the action - you can do this whether you're shooting a Rebel, xxD, 7D or 5D. Clearly the overall image quality and amount of noise will vary depending on the relative noise handling abilities of the body.

this, plus a decent AF system.

Oil Burner

I've highlighted a few errors or things that don't make much sense.

The 60d is roughly 1 FPS Slower than the 50d

Fullframe is an advantage in terms of ISO Performance (larger sensors often perform better at high ISO) However generally speaking Full frame cameras are aimed at being studio/portrait cameras and the focus is not on AF performance (which is what you need in sports in poor lighting)

As has been said above, to 'freeze' action you need high shutter speeds, in low light this requires a large aperture lens and high ISO. The 50d can do ISO 3200 and still produce useable images, so it ticks that box. FPS has nothing to do with freezing action, you use high FPS in sports to capture lots of moments quickly, you can then select 1 frame out of 6 which contains the correct content.

1080P (progressive scan, DPI is a measurement of resolution for printing)

Every camera i have used has the option to shoot JPG + RAW or JPG or RAW - Maybe not at the touch of a button, but you tend to just set it and leave it.

Cars do not require fast shutter speeds to photograph or high FPS, they require accurate autofocus.

1dmk3's are not about £1300, thats only a few hundred more than the 7d.

Honestly I recommend you try some of these cameras and shooting some of these sports before handing out advice.

And i'm still interested who you know that has used a 60d already.

ITB BG 182
where have i said the 1d is 1300? s**t i would love a 1d for that amount of money brand new.
I know you can get the 1dmk3 for about 1500 2nd hand - http://www.talkphotography.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=252685
or http://www.talkphotography.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=252146.

Well, dunganick. I have listend to you aswell as others. Im on a forum where people all over the world do photography for indoor sports under false or poor lighting and this is what im being told.
Ive been told that the 50D could do it but wont produce ones with much quality even if i do get a f2.8 lens, ive been told that i should get some thing on the lines of the 7D or 1D just for the higher iso and fps with the image megapixels too as this would produce crystal clear images.
Ive been advised not to bother with the 60D from some one that does reviews as the 7D out rates it by a mile because of quality of the pictures and body. Also the 7D is more weather proof.

So all im being told by these people who do things that im looking at trying to get into with the dslr world are talking absolute tosh.
Should i have saved the £700+ and got the 50D instead of the 7D with a f2.8 lens.

Im not saying your wrong with this, im simply passing on info that alot of other people have told me.

Cupra
Ken Rockwell also writes reviews...... just saying.

John, just go with the best that you can afford for a balance of glass and camera. Anything less and you'll just kick yourself later and upgrade anyway.

I honestly don't think that you will see a huge difference between an image from a 60D or a 7D, especially in print. The high ISO performance will probably be near on identical too. Even the big names in reviews have not released anything other than a preview so far, so anything being batted about on forums is purely based on speculation or a pre-production model. The same things were going on about the 7D with a lot of people point blank refusing to believe that 18MP could be resolved correctly on a 1.6 crop sensor. When the final product was released, everybody loved it.

It does seem like some of the info you have been given is a bit off the mark. The X0D range of bodies is well used for sport photography and by journos, so for somebody to claim that the latest incarnation wont be up to the job has to be rubbish. It might not do it as well as the 7D, but you will still get a good result, or possibly better at the start as you wont be fighting with the AF system!! I just use centre point focus on servo and rarely miss a shot be it with mountainbikes, horses (indoors with ISO6400 and f2.8) or motorsport.

Good luck with whatever you choose!!!

ITB BG 182
sorry if i seem arsey, well i am a arseho;e but not all the time. Im being given that much info to the point i have thought ah f**k it. but i guess its a wait and see moment.

Oil Burner
John, appologies I made a typo on my post it should of read 1dmk3s are now about 1300.

It is just frustrating to see information being given out 2nd hand that is wide of the mark in a few cases. Esspecially about a camera where most people can only speculate as there are no hands on reviews afaik.

Andy's advice is sound, get the best you can afford.

Cupra
Finally managed to have a play with one of these tonight. It felt good and there is no way to tell that the body is constructed any differently from a 40/50D.

The only fragile/ plasticy bit is the flip out screen.

The 800L and 1DIV made up for it though. :)