ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Canon EOS400d 250 or 300mm IS lense?

Oil Burner
Im after a stabilised Lense for my 400d, i have a 90-300MM f4.5, but it is pretty hard to get good pics with in low light. Any recomendations, i was looking at the 55-250 IS USM f4-5.6

I cant unfortuantly afford an L lense, is this a happy medium?

NICK

Oil Burner
motor sport, this time of the year, brands hatch, late afternoons, just not getting the sharp images.

IS stops hand held shake and helps with panning a little but it won't stop the motion of a car. The 55-250 won't help as its actually slower at the long end than your current lens, f/4.5 vs f/5.6

Are you shooting f/4.5 and ISO 1600 and still getting bad shutter speeds, say below 1/100?

Oil Burner
im shooting f5.6, which is the lowest it will go for some reason and typically iso400 or 800, as too much noise above this, mostof my issue is hand shake, im going to get a mono pod and try again tomorrow, shutter speed is about 1/500, most come out unuseable, maybe 1 in 10 are decent.

some of my good ones from tuesday http://www.flickr.com/photos/21703448@N03/

hmmm you shouldn't really see handshake at 1/500@300mm, post up some of the shots that went wrong, could possibly be miss focus? Are you using Ai-Servo?

Monaro VXR
I have the 70 - 300mm IS quite a good lens. One of my pictures with it below. It was my first time using the lens and that was my 2nd ever shot with the lens. So be kind.

http://mybigspoon.com/wozza/RWS/rws3.jpg

Thats straight off my camera only cropped down slightly. Its a bit too bright because I was stupid and forgot to check the exposure compensation settings on my camera.

Good pic wozzaa.

dunganick - looking at the Ibiza picture it looks sharp around the door handle, just looks a little back focused. Same with the second one, it looks a bit soft but sharp where it says red fox, could be poor light or just the lens being shot at maximum aperture. You could try stopping the lens down to around f/6.3 or f/7.1 for more depth and increase the sharpness of the lens (if light permits).

You could also give Custom function 04 a chance (its 4 on my 350D) and move the focus button to the * on the back and see if that works better for you..

I think only a faster focusing lens can help in this case, maybe keep an eye out for second hand 70-200 f4 L's or 70-300 IS's....