ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

70mm - 300mm Canon, Tamron or Sigma?

Citroen DS3 White
Looking for a budget telephoto for everyday and as a bit more range than my kit lens for going on Safari in Kenya soon.

Using on a 350D at the moment but may upgrade soon.

So, which one? Both Canon and Tamron are £130ish then the Sigma is a bit more and I have heard it's better but how much better and whether its worth it?

Canon
Tamron
Sigma

Last edited:
  Citroen DS3 White
I think the Tamron and the Canon are quite similar in optic quality but the Canon has the USM which is useful. Might have to find a nice shop and play, then buy online for cheap.

The Sigma would be nice but it's an extra £50 which will almost pay for a 50/f.18, which I am also tempted by...

I've used the Canon 75-300mm (borrowed) and have to say I was not that impressed, soft images, focus slow and can hunt quite a bit. The newer 70-300mm is generally seen as a much better lens, albeit significantly more expensive.

Can't speak about the other two lenses, however I think quite a few people on here have the Sigma and are generally pretty impressed.