ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Can't have sky or Virgin - what are my options

Waitey

ClioSport Club Member
  Alpina D3, AC Cobra
Hi guys.

I can't get sky or Virgin to my new place due it is retarded position in the building.

What are my options for TV through the Internet?

182, SQ7, Trafic
You could get a BT box. Just uses your phone line connection.

Please don't give bad advice!

BT Vision is just a Freeview box which needs an aerial connection, it then plugs into your router (not the phone socket) where you can use the on demand features, which are poor.

Ay Ay Ron

ClioSport Club Member
Please don't give bad advice!

BT Vision is just a Freeview box which needs an aerial connection, it then plugs into your router (not the phone socket) where you can use the on demand features, which are poor.
Lol. Ok

Technically it uses your phone line, via your router (so it's something I assume would already be in the property) . You don't have to have extra cables coming in like you would with sky (don't know about virgin)

I'm pretty sure BT is better than nothing though?

I've only had a few issues with my BT box over the last 3 years and apparently the new ones are a lot better (tivo boxes?)

sbridgey

ClioSport Club Member
  disco 4, 182, Meglio
I'm sure sky has the ability to use 1 dish to supply many homes, have you discussed with sky?

They must run into this issue all the time with blocks of flats/apartments.

Waitey

ClioSport Club Member
  Alpina D3, AC Cobra
Yeah we went through everything. The one wall which has line of sight is a no go.

On the bright side it'll save me £60 a month lol

A shiny black one.
So is Virgin not in your area? Or are they being lazy and not offering it in your flat as it would be too hard or expensive to install.

182, SQ7, Trafic
Lol. Ok

Technically it uses your phone line, via your router (so it's something I assume would already be in the property) . You don't have to have extra cables coming in like you would with sky (don't know about virgin)

I'm pretty sure BT is better than nothing though?

I've only had a few issues with my BT box over the last 3 years and apparently the new ones are a lot better (tivo boxes?)

BT Vision gives you all the features that a standard Smart TV has.

The boxes are clunky as s**t.

sbridgey

ClioSport Club Member
  disco 4, 182, Meglio
BT Vision gives you all the features that a standard Smart TV has.

The boxes are clunky as s**t.

Parents have BT vision, i can confirm it is s**t.

Saying that the virgin media TiVo is also pretty naff.

182, SQ7, Trafic
Parents have BT vision, i can confirm it is s**t.

Saying that the virgin media TiVo is also pretty naff.

Nothing beats Sky, you can get it cheap when you start, then just ring up after a year and carry on at same price.

Bun paying £60 a month, all TV is free if you know where to look.

Have you met the OP, he wipes his arse with £50s ;)

Waitey

ClioSport Club Member
  Alpina D3, AC Cobra
Like I said all options for a dish is are a no go.

Looks like free view for me!

Looked at Now TV but it doesn't stream in HD.

Goliath I
Nothing wrong with BT Vision, true you dont get sky sports/movies etc... which if thats what your after there isn't much options.

But it has all the usual on demand channels including Netflix, much easier to use than Sky (at least since I last had it) and if you have Infinity broadband you get extra channels again.

Jack!

ClioSport Club Member
I'm currently sat watching West Ham vs Spurs in HD for free.

Movies? People wait a year to watch an old film once it comes round on Sky and pay £20 a month or so for the privilege?

Waitey, just use XBMC and look into utilising its full potential, no need for a subscription service.

Rich-D

ClioSport Club Member
  E90 LCI 330d
Like I said all options for a dish is are a no go.
Looks like free view for me!
Looked at Now TV but it doesn't stream in HD.
Perfectly watchable though, we have a Now TV box in the bedroom and it's built into my 47" LG TV in the lounge.
Netflix does stream in HD though, as does Sky through the XBox 360 (I think), so a combination of those and Freeview HD does me fine, more than enough crap to watch LOL