ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Cant select any gears clio mk2 1.2

clio mk2 1.2 16v 02
Car parked at work all day.engine on went to select 1st gear and the gear stick wouldn't move into it nor any other gears. After turning engine off and on a couple of times and trying it went into gear just fine .. it sort of fixed itself and drove fine for hours of driving so i thought maybe just stuck and be a one time thing.its ice cold here. Parked up got back in car after an hour and same thing happened only this time i could force gearstick into gears to get home thought it was really hard to force into gear you could feel tension. Selecting reverse to park you could hear grinding noise when going into reverse. I did notice a while ago it would grind into reverse somethimes even if i was dead stop and clutch right down it would sometimes do it. I thought this was maybe clutch cable stretched? Can anyone help me diagnose the problem please?

JamesBryan

ClioSport Club Member
  Titanium 182
So you can get gears with the car not running?

Sounds like the clutch release bearing.

PH2 172
Car parked at work all day.engine on went to select 1st gear and the gear stick wouldn't move into it nor any other gears. After turning engine off and on a couple of times and trying it went into gear just fine .. it sort of fixed itself and drove fine for hours of driving so i thought maybe just stuck and be a one time thing.its ice cold here. Parked up got back in car after an hour and same thing happened only this time i could force gearstick into gears to get home thought it was really hard to force into gear you could feel tension. Selecting reverse to park you could hear grinding noise when going into reverse. I did notice a while ago it would grind into reverse somethimes even if i was dead stop and clutch right down it would sometimes do it. I thought this was maybe clutch cable stretched? Can anyone help me diagnose the problem please?

Has the gearbox been removed recently for any reason.?

Make sure all bell housing to engine bolts are present & done up tight.

clio mk2 1.2 16v 02
Engine off clutch down i can select all gears even with clutch up. Engine on i try and push gearstick into first engine rev needle dips a little as i try and push gearstick into first. To get car in reverse i have to turn engine off put in reverse and turn engine on clutch down. Car starts to revese even though i got clutch down. To dr8ve car i have to select first gear clutch down turn engine on and as engine comes on car starts to move farward a little again i still have clitch down. Could this defanantly be clutch related?

clio mk2 1.2 16v 02
Think i found the problem

Attachments

• IPC_2018-12-13.12.56.37.6020.jpg
    IPC_2018-12-13.12.56.37.6020.jpg
    44.7 KB · Views: 62
  • IPC_2018-12-13.12.54.08.3270.jpg
    IPC_2018-12-13.12.54.08.3270.jpg
    37.6 KB · Views: 60

JamesBryan

ClioSport Club Member
  Titanium 182
I can see one or maybe two fingers has moved in if you zoom in on picture. I bet the release bearing has also failed but it made no noise when it was working ok

Gearbox off job then, new clutch while you're there