ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Cape Verde - Boa Vista

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
After uploading these, it seems photobucket really does kill the quality and even colour depth.

I'll be getting flickr later.

But anyway, here's a few shots from Cape Verde, the first time I've ever really used a DSLR:

The view from the room.

1.jpg

2.jpg

The bed was made up daily in a manner of patterns. :eek:

3.jpg

The beach was lovely, so peaceful, but the sea was rough a couple of days (which I thoroughly enjoyed).

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

View from the balcony

7.jpg

Adults only pool bar/pool/beach etc...

8.jpg

9.jpg

10.jpg

The hotel was like a giant sand castle or something, all quite subtly lit.

11.jpg

This last one it was pitch black camera resting on table, long shutter.

12.jpg

All comments and especially criticism very welcome :)

Last edited:

Cookie

ClioSport Club Member
I should have gone there rather than Egypt, awesome pics.

I love the one of the surf.

BMW F21 125d
Cracking shots. I've stayed at that hotel, really relaxing place.

Were you in Adults only? We were, makes it even more enjoyable. The reason I ask is we were in the accomodation block at the far side of the pool in your pics, but are there now more blocks to accomodate the adults?

Ay Ay Ron

ClioSport Club Member
Nice. We were looking at there this year. Maybe next year for the honeymoon.

Was this a first choice package with the silver wrist bands?

Adults only areas are amazing. So much better than having kids running around screaming by the pool.

Did you do much out of the resort?

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
Cracking shots. I've stayed at that hotel, really relaxing place.

Were you in Adults only? We were, makes it even more enjoyable. The reason I ask is we were in the accomodation block at the far side of the pool in your pics, but are there now more blocks to accomodate the adults?

We were adults on yes mate, really made it. Didn't book it but upgraded after two days thank god.

There's only two blocks for adults, the one I was in and the one opposite. It means it's not in the slightest bit busy and is so relaxing as you must well know.

The normal area was OK, but was a bit more "lout-ish" at times around the pool bar, with one bloke getting so pissed he had to be carried out of the pool.

Nice. We were looking at there this year. Maybe next year for the honeymoon.

Was this a first choice package with the silver wrist bands?

Adults only areas are amazing. So much better than having kids running around screaming by the pool.

Did you do much out of the resort?

Yep, silver wrist band is adults only, but we were Thompson not first choice, but it's all the same thing.

We didn't do much, I just wanted to get away, and think about/do nothing. So I did.

There is a fair bit to do, you can go for a day out on a boat, go fishing, go out on quad bikes for an island tour, go see the sea turtles if they're in season or the whales on the boat earlier in the year.

Nice pics Robert. I want to go there! Now!

Cheers Luke, but you're supposed to tell me what's wrong with my pictures, not that's they're "nice".

Some good shots there dude. Just think about your composition a bit.

Like this one..

4.jpg

I expect you've taken it sat on your lounger because you're hella lazy. But a few steps to the right and getting all of them in the frame (and central) would have made it a better shot.

Colours look a bit mellow to me but that's probably a mixture of my crap laptop and Photobucket.

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
TY dude, actually, funnily enough, I was barefoot, and I would have had to stand in some bushes to get further right. :eek:

I did try, honest. I have another similar, but it's not as nice.

As first attempts go though? :eek:

Hixle

Hi Kiss Luke E****
ClioSport Club Member
  E90 M3
Cheers Luke, but you're supposed to tell me what's wrong with my pictures, not that's they're "nice".

Composition, composition, composition. Do some reading up on the rule of thirds mate.

Also get a flickr account. Photobucket not only rapes the overall quality but kills some of the colour too.

Hixle

Hi Kiss Luke E****
ClioSport Club Member
  E90 M3
I would've done that differently to Dan actually and gone more left, providing that it was just bare sand that way. But both would work :)

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
Composition, composition, composition. Do some reading up on the rule of thirds mate.

Also get a flickr account. Photobucket not only rapes the overall quality but kills some of the colour too.

Have you been drinking today? Or is my sczm meter on the fritz?

Read up on the rule of thirds, not an easy thing to do naturally actually, lol!

Hixle

Hi Kiss Luke E****
ClioSport Club Member
  E90 M3
Yeah it takes some practise.

sczm? fritz? f**k are you talking about cat boy?

TheEvilGiraffe

South East - Essex
ClioSport Area Rep
Rule of Thirds is the easiest thing to do. Your display (live view) will even show you it if you can't work it out yourself ;)

The hard thing is breaking the rule successfully.

Good pics dude. Would like to see these on the MB or my iMac live or via Flickr. Free account will do you for now - 100 shots @ 1024x size.

2 year account is about £34 IIRC. Full size unlimited pictures. Soooo worth it for back up reasons alone !

Nice to see you haven't resorted to pics of the missus doing impressions of fish to bring the crowds in.

TY dude, actually, funnily enough, I was barefoot, and I would have had to stand in some bushes to get further right. :eek:

I did try, honest. I have another similar, but it's not as nice.

As first attempts go though? :eek:

Yeah, good shots mate. Holiday photos are typically hard to make 'exciting' anyway.

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
Rule of Thirds is the easiest thing to do. Your display (live view) will even show you it if you can't work it out yourself ;)

The hard thing is breaking the rule successfully.

Good pics dude. Would like to see these on the MB or my iMac live or via Flickr. Free account will do you for now - 100 shots @ 1024x size.

2 year account is about £34 IIRC. Full size unlimited pictures. Soooo worth it for back up reasons alone !

Nice to see you haven't resorted to pics of the missus doing impressions of fish to bring the crowds in.

Cheers dude, yeah I know it's easy, but it's easier to forget :eek:

I'll get myself a flickr account later (more money, sigh) then.

I'll put up a few more pictures, but these were the best of the bunch I think.

Yeah, good shots mate. Holiday photos are typically hard to make 'exciting' anyway.

Cheers mate, I'll be playing with the camera lot more now, quite enjoy it.

Hixle

Hi Kiss Luke E****
ClioSport Club Member
  E90 M3

I'd agree with this completely. Last year we went to Fuertaventura, and this year Tenerife. Haven't looked back at either sets tbh.

Dubai one's were fun though! Going out there again next year, so may see if I can find a 10-20 to rent for it.

TheEvilGiraffe

South East - Essex
ClioSport Area Rep
It's not easier to forget. Just do it. Watch TV ads, shows, films etc.. it's all based on the rule.

Mini_Advert.3470.640x480.jpg

^ See ? Thirds.

It's £34. Get a real job you bum ! Get the wench to get a real job. Sell the wench. Harvest her organs instead perhaps .. the mitchell brothers would earn you a years wages at least on here. Cookie would be stupid enough to buy them I'm sure.

I'd agree with this completely. Last year we went to Fuertaventura, and this year Tenerife. Haven't looked back at either sets tbh.

Dubai one's were fun though! Going out there again next year, so may see if I can find a 10-20 to rent for it.

I'd lend you mine, but you've bought the wrong camera.

Mini Cooper S sport
Nice photos, it looks very quiet, almost deserted!

That's what you call a relaxing holiday.

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
It's not easier to forget. Just do it. Watch TV ads, shows, films etc.. it's all based on the rule.

It's £34. Get a real job you bum ! Get the wench to get a real job. Sell the wench. Harvest her organs instead perhaps .. the mitchell brothers would earn you a years wages at least on here. Cookie would be stupid enough to buy them I'm sure.

I'm aware it's not much but I've had broken boilers and all sorts :eek:

I know about it's uses dude, I'm just used to pointing a camera at something and photographing it! I just need to work on my composition.

Nice photos, it looks very quiet, almost deserted!

That's what you call a relaxing holiday.

Cheers sugar, it was very quiet, perhaps not as quiet as my photos make out, but I've honestly never come back from anywhere feeling so chilled out.

Bliss.

Tim.

ClioSport Club Member
The surf shots are impressive! Would you consider going back, either to the island or to the resort, or was it good, but not THAT good?

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
I don't really do going places twice, like ever, but of all the places I've ever been for this kind of holiday, this'd be my first choice to go back to.

Other places like NZ and HK I'd go back to because I haven't seen enough yet, here I'd go back because it was bloody lovely.

And thanks for the comments, I got quite a few more wave ones :)

Bubbles

ClioSport Club Member
  BMW I4 M50
Where did you stay Rob?

Looking to book a last minute holiday and Cape Verde has been suggested... Hotels seem good review wise too and tempted as its not Sharm!

Bubbles

ClioSport Club Member
  BMW I4 M50
Nice :)

Riu Karamboa I think is what we're tempted by, but been told all 3 Riu hotels are good

Coby.

ClioSport Club Member
  XC60-R.......V40-R
Parents have been to one of the Riu's a few times and they love it, Always go late Nov/ Early Dec for some mid winter sun.

Fiesta ST2 MP215
That's a RIU isn't it Rob? glad you liked it but you wouldn't like the kitchen in them places, Done inspections there last year and mate how people survive I have no idea, Gorgeous place though and OT great Shots.

Fiesta ST2 MP215
Imodium Packed...

Don't take Imodium, it works by slowing your digestive system down, and sometimes your body wants this stuff out, hydration Sachets are what you want, If you've got the s***s then blast it ALL out and keep hydrated in places like this, and DO NOT drink the water unless bottles even from coolers, Cape Verde has no natural water source, it's worse than Egypt their stuff.

Shame they have these issues really as people there really nice and such a beautiful place, It's like Iceland without the Cold and Ice landscape wise.

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
Silly question.... how much is correct tipping wise to reserve sun beds?

TBH, when we went the quality of the food was brilliant.. Not to mention in that particular hotel ALL of the food is cooked infront of you. There's no hidden kitchen so to speak. So don't worry on that front. The hotel is only 2 years old etc, so nothing is getting manky or anything of the sort.

On the tipping front bubbles, I really couldn't tell you, we were adults only and it was very much more sunbeds than people so that was never a problem.

On the third day we moved rooms to adults only and I tipped the guy they sent to move our luggage, what turned out to be WAY to much. Although this did mean we wanted for nothing at any point, he'd double stack our mini bar every day rather than every other, he also sorted us out with a waiter at the evening meal who always made sure we had everything we wanted and even went and got us drinks despite being serve yourself.

Tipping seems to go a long way and they don't earn a great deal I don't think. The thomson lady indicated that what ever I'd given the bloke in cape verde money was about 3 days wages? TBH I had no idea what the conversion rate was so just gave him a random note.