ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Car almost died after fill up?

Clio III - S 1.5dci
Strange thing happened the other day with my MK3 1.5 dci, was getting low on Diesal (light on) so i went had filled it up, after driving out of the petrol station, the car would not rev above 1300rpm, so mi crawled in first to a car park and left it for 10 mins, started it again and it was fine!!! And has been ever since!!

Any ideas what this was? could it have been some airlock or crap form the tank as i let the Diesal get too low?

Cheers for any help, just curious.

Clio III - S 1.5dci
I say it had around 30-40miles left in it! But that's going by the trip computer. My fault should NEVER let a Diesal run that low.

Just wondered why it would start on nthe button a few times, but would not get the revs up, also there was a hell of a rattle form under the bonnet, but it had a slight rattle befoe, maybe it just made it sound worse!!

btw - I used to have a Mk1 172 around 4 years back, was on here all the time, what happened to the guy that was sticking a turbo in his MK1 172??

Last edited:
  Clio III - S 1.5dci
Nope no warnings, i think i may have stalled, coming out of the station as some idiot cut me up and i started it again whilst moving, noit sure if this could have caused a weird sensor tempory failer?

02 Clio Extreme
This happens to me too..

If it's running really low (on the red), after I fill up, it moans and chuckles for a couple of minuets. Two weeks ago, my car even stalled itself in the courtyard after fueling up! :S Oh, I also noticed my car likes to randomly stall itself when running low on petrol. I've noticed this mainly when I'm stopped at a junction or traffic lights.

And yes. I do know when to put fuel in my car. I don't usuall let it run low. :) lol

Sunflower & Golf Mk6 BMT
for the record diesel engines can't misfire (unless no diesel is injected in the first place)

That cant be quite true? what if a piston ring wears and loses compression? or faulty injector or head gasket faliure? These could all cause misfires.

Lionel Richie
loss of compression ok, faulty injector ok (as i said though)

remember once a diesel engine is running thats it, there's no spark, to stop the engine the diesel/air supply is stopped

Clio III - S 1.5dci
It was a strange one, it was fire up fine and idle, but as it would not rev passed 1300rpm or something like that, so i had to crawl to a safe place and as i sead after 10 mins it was fine, never had this before. There was a hell of a rattle form under the bonnet though i mean really load, but the car has to go back to the garage for a rattle i had before this, maybe it was the same rattle, but just enhanced??

This happens to me too..

If it's running really low (on the red), after I fill up, it moans and chuckles for a couple of minuets. Two weeks ago, my car even stalled itself in the courtyard after fueling up! :S Oh, I also noticed my car likes to randomly stall itself when running low on petrol. I've noticed this mainly when I'm stopped at a junction or traffic lights.

And yes. I do know when to put fuel in my car. I don't usuall let it run low. :) lol

Just noticed your location, i am from Swansea too LoL - You did not fill up in the Tesco garage in the enerprise zone did you when it happen to you?