ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Car Cleaning Advice....

Fiesta ST
Ive recently bought a 172 and i am looking to give it a good clean over the weekend and need some HELP!! The other day i noticed that there was swirls all over the car, ive read other posts on car cleaning and scratch X cropped up a few times but does this have to be applied in small areas as i think that the whole car needs doing and i dont wanna be there all day.

Ive been looking in the DemonTweeks mag today and looked at the Mequires range but im stuck on what to buy, im after the full lot to do i full clean, shampoo, polish, wax,clay ,sealant , tyre stuff etc etc,i keep changing my mind each time i look so i would love to know what everyone recommends.

cheers

106 GTi
Working by hand scatch X and a folded terry towel are the best option, but it will be time consuming and hard work. Tou will need to work in small area's, as it needs to be worked until there is hardly anything to remove to get it to do it's job properly. Would take you along time, and it will never be 100% sucessfull. A machine polish is the only way for that.

Working by hand

Wash - Sonax Gloss Shampoo
Clay - Meguiars Quick Clay
Swirl Removal - Scratch X
Polish - Autoglym Super Resin
Seal - Autoglym Extra Gloss Protection.
Wax - What colour is the car?
Tyres - Autoglym Vinyl and Rubber Care
Glass - Autoglym Glass Polish

Clio 04 172 Cup
Rich said:
Working by hand scatch X and a folded terry towel are the best option, but it will be time consuming and hard work. Tou will need to work in small area's, as it needs to be worked until there is hardly anything to remove to get it to do it's job properly. Would take you along time, and it will never be 100% sucessfull. A machine polish is the only way for that.

Working by hand

Wash - Sonax Gloss Shampoo
Clay - Meguiars Quick Clay
Swirl Removal - Scratch X
Polish - Autoglym Super Resin
Seal - Autoglym Extra Gloss Protection.
Wax - What colour is the car?
Tyres - Autoglym Vinyl and Rubber Care
Glass - Autoglym Glass Polish

Do you recommend waxing after using EPG if so I have a cup what do you recommend?

Cheers

106 GTi
Any good Carnuba Wax.

For me on Mondial Blue - P21s Concours Look Wax, or Poorboys Nattys Blue Wax.

106 GTi
Just let Alex from SP know your a CS Member when you order, either in an email or write it on the form.

Clio 04 172 Cup
Cheers will do. Going to get me some of that there P21S wax looks the nuts got all the other products you mentioned.

106 GTi
mini ripper said:
Cheers will do. Going to get me some of that there P21S wax looks the nuts got all the other products you mentioned.

Well worth it IMO - P21s looks ace on Blue, my fave wax. Looks good on any colour.

On Blue

P6120033.jpg

P4120007.jpg

P4040039.jpg

Clio 04 172 Cup
The finish looks well sweet. Cant wait to get it on there. I ordered some clay bars as well so will have a day at it on Saterday!
Hope it looks as good as you 205GTI if it does I will post some pics.

What process do you use as in step buy step from start to finish. Your help is much appreciated and sorry for hi-jacking someone else's thread.

106 GTi
This is pretty much step by step

http://www.cliosport.net/index.php?ind=reviews&op=entry_view&iden=36

Wash, clay, deep polish/swirl removal - Scratch X, Final Finishing Polish - Super Resin, Seal with Extra Gloss, 2-3 coats are best for looks and durabilty, then a coat of P21s.

For maximum durability it is advisd to leave 24 hours between coats of sealant, and wax, but unless you dont need to use the car, have a garage and 3 days this is quite impractical!

I tend to add a layer a layer of Extra Gloss each week after washing for a few weeks, them a coat of wax after the next wash.

Clio 04 172 Cup
Cheers Rich. Do I need to do the Scratch X step as I dont have any swirls and only a few minnor scratch's.
Do you think an hour between each EGP coat is enough if they are thin enough coats.
I wish I had a garage to leave it then the misses would'nt be able to use it!

All the best and thanks

106 GTi
You could skip the Scratch X then, or just use it locally in areas it needs it.

It wont give the EGP the cure time it needs to really bond, but 2 coats an hour apart will still be better than 1.

Clio 04 172 Cup
Sweet! Shall be on it early Saterday! and get as much time and as much done as I can!

Just started to pray for sun shine.

Fiesta ST
Is there any stuff which treats swirls on a larger, quicker process? im a novice you see!! usually just take it to the car wash.

106 GTi
No easy fix by hand, where you based, maybe worth getting someone to machine polish it for you?

Clio 04 172 Cup
jimmyriddle said:
Is there any stuff which treats swirls on a larger, quicker process? im a novice you see!! usually just take it to the car wash.

Those pesky car wash's expect that is why you got you swirls mate. I hate them I wouldnt run my van through a car wash

Fiesta ST
yea dont think im gunna do anymore, ive only just got the car and its got swirls all over it, might just take a full wkend to get them out with the scratch X stuff.

MRBILLYUK

ClioSport Club Member
  FF Jeden Osiem Dwa
mini ripper said:
Those pesky car wash's expect that is why you got you swirls mate. I hate them I wouldnt run my van through a car wash

I've never used in my life and wouldn't even consider it . Can't beat doin' it yourself .

106 GTi
Scratch X starts of abbrassive and finishes down to a finer polish so works well in small areas. Use a folded terry towel to increase the cut if needed. Wont be easy though, as whole car needs some real elbow grease!