ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Car dying from cold

oVerboost.

South West
ClioSport Area Rep
  Clio 182 LY
Got a small problem with my ph1 172, the engine starts fine but if you go to move of, the idle drops to low and the car cuts out, the same happens at traffic lights and junctions until the car has warmed up a bit.

Any ideas what could be the problem? Thanks.

oVerboost.

South West
ClioSport Area Rep
  Clio 182 LY
I sprayed it with some carb cleaner and I think it helped a bit, but its really bad from cold, before and after the cleaner I was thinking maybe the idle control valve?

Titanium 182
Maybe, I took mine out and cleaned it when I sprayed carb cleaner into the spring loads of crap fell out. Needed a new paper gasket from Renault though.

How much are new ICV's ?

Edit, if it has one. I haven't a clue.

Last edited:

Da

Less
Does the ph1 have an ICV?
I know the ph2 doesn't.

Coolant temp sensor could be the issue and are relatively cheap to replace.

oVerboost.

South West
ClioSport Area Rep
  Clio 182 LY
I dont think its lamda as once its warm its okay so makes me think a different sensor is at fault, will try the TDC and ICV first... Fingers crossed!

172 ph1
on a cold morning when i leave mine its about quater of a mile out of the estate and onto the bypass which is a 60 so not going about sorta 3 1/2 to 4 in 1st 2nd and 3rd it seems like there a power shortage it like 'stutters' duno if it would be the same thing!

these bloody ph1's lad eh :dapprove: lol

K-Tec Racing

ClioSport Trader
  172LBT-172HBT-197-R2
get it on a diagnostic scanner, it will save you money as you can pin point the problem

Andy

Astra 1.9Cdti SRi
Does the ph1 have an ICV?
I know the ph2 doesn't.

Coolant temp sensor could be the issue and are relatively cheap to replace.

Ye they do, i remeber f0xy or someone mentioning it when i had idle problems on ph2.

Da

Less
I thought the idle was electronically controlled from within the ECU?

That's what I was told anyway when I was looking to adjust mine...

oVerboost.

South West
ClioSport Area Rep
  Clio 182 LY
172 phase1 has got idle control valve.

Today however, after having a good look around the engine bay I found a small pipe that goes from one part of the inlet to the bottom of the throttle body, this pipe was not connected to the throttle body directly under the jubilee clip holding the intake pipe in place. After re-fitting this the car now seems to idle better, less iratic and smoother. I shall have to try it in the morning from cold, but fingers crossed it is much better. :)