ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Car has just broke its self :(

DCI100
Okay had my car a little while now, I now feel sick as i just took my car in for a service and check too find .....

Loosing oil from the two oil ways on the head gasket at the back of the engine, but not in to the coolant just oion is whut the back.
Brake master cylinder appears to be going as brakes are seizing on. but new calipers :(
play in track rod.
hand brake needs doing (i new that)

The question is what do i do now, unless i decide to do the work my self its not worth doing. I'm capable of doing my self but don't have the time.

I'm gutted it went in the same place a couple of months a go for a drive shaft with none of the major issues. Which makes me feel sickk now!

its a 1999 v reg clio what do i do? :(

DCI100
So much work mate, :( head gasket will be a b**ch. i'm thinking new car but how i'm going to insure it i don't know

275 Trophy
Why will the insurance be any more, apart from maybe an administration charge, as long as you get a similar car?

DCI100
Well my insurance is already 2600, and at the moment i have an open case (for a scratched bumper on someones car where there claiming for whiplash. scamming t***s) so i don't know what to do, or how much they will charge on top x

275 Trophy
Stop driving? You can get a lot of buses / taxis for that :eek:

Do the brakes still work? Keep driving it until MOT runs out then scrap it?

DCI100
well I was surprised to find out that changing the car would cost me around 200-300 pound.

The cost of a new car could be too expensive though!

Lionel Richie
you can pick up a newer 1.2 16V dynamique for £1K-£1500 for a half decent one (even less if you shop about)

DCI100
Nahh i tried a new car, which was more expensive. I'm looking in to buying something new but still a 1.2 and keeping that.

The car had be really good until now. I do lots of miles bus and taxi's aren't an option when you live 20 miles away from work and start at 7 lol.

and its a 1.2 8valve

DCI100
Yeah i'm considering it. buying the car its not so much of a worry now that i now insurance won't bust me. But after all this i'm thinking about putting my money in to a much newer car like a 56 plate. And just keeping that for a long time if possible!

Arctic Blue FF 182
I know you say you don't have the time, but know how to do the work. Able to just set a weekend aside and do everything? Where abouts you based, someone might be able to led a hand?

DCI100
Im based in northamptonshire mate, I have thought about doing it through out the day, I require a reliable car so i'm thinking sell it honestly and get not a lot for it 150 maybe * or scrap value. then buy a newer more reliable car.

Its unfortunate its gone, as i had really enjoyed owning the car, its been lovely to drive and reliable untill now :(

Clio 182 Trophy. No. 189
Im based in northamptonshire mate, I have thought about doing it through out the day, I require a reliable car so i'm thinking sell it honestly and get not a lot for it 150 maybe * or scrap value. then buy a newer more reliable car.

Its unfortunate its gone, as i had really enjoyed owning the car, its been lovely to drive and reliable untill now :(

Must admit, when I first started driving I had a right old clapped out MG Metro but to this day, I wish I had saved my money up before buying car after car after car! My Trophy is off the road having dampers refurbed and must say my other halfs Saxo VTR (S reg.) is a 'beast' to buzz about in and saved a fortune in fuel this last week! Bet you could pick up a 1.1 Saxo for a few hundred quid in decent nick.

Why not look for another cheap run about, keep the Clio as a project so you can 'learn the ropes' and save up your pennies over time for something decent?

DCI100
Yeah i had been thinking about keeping the clio has a project but quite simply i don't have enough room. we have 3 cars on a driveway only meant for two. one of us parks down on the road so unfortunately its time for it to go.

But err once i return from sweeden i'll be looking for a newer more reliable car. Mostly due to the fact that i drive quite alot of miles too and from work so rely on my car everyday.

If i only had it has a little run around, i'd probably want to get a cheaper little run around.

DCI100
Well little update, started work on the car today. So i stripped the brakes down and it turned out to be sticky sliders so i cleaned them and greased them up. done one side gotta do the other now. Brakes sorted hopefully. I've got the bits for head gasket will start that asap.

Also in the process of cleaning up the car and removing some scratches and small rust patches. Quite enjoying it so far.

Hopefully once the brakes and head gasket are sorted i'll be on the road again.

DCI100
Hope so man, just been bleeding the brakes but err not going well one side isn't a constant flow and the system looses pressure when i start it up :s Thinking this has something to do with the master brake cylinder