ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Car insurance excess question.

Alastair.

ClioSport Club Member
  986'S 172ph1+182FF
Yo, Getting the mrs a 2003 Megane dynamique on Saturday, paying £1300 for it. With regards to excess on insurance, is this only money you would have to pay for repairs to your own car and not the other parties? As the car is only £1300 i would never claim for her car if she wacked it. So i was just going to put her excess all the way up. Am i correct?

xx

Bluebeard

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
If she causes £4000 worth of damage, and her excess is £1000, the insurance will pay the other people £4000 but only after you've paid your insurers your £1000 excess.

Alastair.

ClioSport Club Member
  986'S 172ph1+182FF
If she causes £4000 worth of damage, and her excess is £1000, the insurance will pay the other people £4000 but only after you've paid your insurers your £1000 excess.

She proper stoved a van in last year was a 2009 vw transporter, doors caved in the works! We didnt claim for her car as i sorted that myself. Insurance never had any money off us and her excess was over £500:S

Alastair.

ClioSport Club Member
  986'S 172ph1+182FF
just found this

[h=2]Your policy excess[/h] [h=3]What is a policy excess?[/h] A policy excess is the amount of an insurance claim you must pay if your car is lost, stolen or damaged. You only pay the excess for damage to your own car. You do not have to pay the excess for damage to someone else's car. Your policy excess will be shown in your policy schedule.

Alastair.

ClioSport Club Member
  986'S 172ph1+182FF
Thought i was right, you only pay excess on your own car, £1500 excess for the mrs then, that will take the quote down by £50.

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
You definitely don't pay for third party damage. Been in policies for years now.

If the car was written off and you did claim they would simply take the excess off the settlement figure. Kinda weird when the settlement is less than the excess!

I had a crash in my first car nearly 5 years ago. The other car was written off and pretty sure they milked it for injuries and I never had to pay a penny of my excess.

just found this

Your policy excess

What is a policy excess?

A policy excess is the amount of an insurance claim you must pay if your car is lost, stolen or damaged. You only pay the excess for damage to your own car. You do not have to pay the excess for damage to someone else's car. Your policy excess will be shown in your policy schedule.
Depends on the policy some you have to pay your eccess to damage to other partys ie you hit another can and no fdamge to you but £1k to the other car and if you've a £500 excess you pay the £500 to the insurer/garage and the owner of the car you hit goes and gets the car fixed at a garage and pays nothing

BG CLIO 182
You only pay your excess if your making a claim for any loss or damage to you own vehicle.
If a third party makes a claim against you and your not claiming for your vehicle then no excess will apply.
To be honest its not worth paying for Comprehensive cover if your not intending to claim for any damage to your own vehicle if its involved in an accident, your better off buying TPFT cover. Generally this is cheaper than increasing your excess greater than the car value.
(I've worked in insurance for 6 years)

Alastair.

ClioSport Club Member
  986'S 172ph1+182FF
You only pay your excess if your making a claim for any loss or damage to you own vehicle.
If a third party makes a claim against you and your not claiming for your vehicle then no excess will apply.
To be honest its not worth paying for Comprehensive cover if your not intending to claim for any damage to your own vehicle if its involved in an accident, your better off buying TPFT cover. Generally this is cheaper than increasing your excess greater than the car value.
(I've worked in insurance for 6 years)

Did a quote 3rd party and it went up buy over £100 thats whys im going fully comp with a massive excess. Edde me old fruit what insurers have you seen that make you pay excess on other peoples cars? cant see nothing about it on swift cover?

Did a quote 3rd party and it went up buy over £100 thats whys im going fully comp with a massive excess. Edde me old fruit what insurers have you seen that make you pay excess on other peoples cars? cant see nothing about it on swift cover?
In america you have this its known as section 1 and section 2 insurance. You hit another car and have $500 excess and you cause $10k to your car and $20k to their car you have to pay an excess total of $1k ($500 for your car and $500 for the other persons car)

Not 100% sure about the UK