ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Car keeps stopping

172 gravel rally
I've been having some issues with my car that have stumped me. I will try to explain what is happening but it is so inconsistant that it will be hard to explain it clearly.

The problem first raised itself at Rally Queensland where the car just wouldn't start. The starter turned the car over but it just didn't even try to fire. I had driven the car for about 40km's mainly highway and fast roads then left the car sitting for about an hour before it wouldn't start after about another hour it started fine. Later in the event and it occuring a few more times we found that pouring water over the ECU and unichip would clear the problem. So I thought problem solved and I moved the unichip into the glove box.

Yesterday I took the car for a wheel alignment at 8:30 in the morning when they tried to move it at about 12:30 the car wouldn't start. I went to have a look and put some ice on the unichip as it had been in the sun for sometime, by the time the car started the unichip was well below ambient temps. I then tried to drive the car to work and it stopped at a set of lights. I checked the temp of the unichip and it wasn't exactly hot but I bought some ice and put some on the computer under the bonet and some on the unichip eventually the car started.

I got the car home and thought I'll try to recreate the problem so I used a hairdrier to heat up the unichip. I managed to get the unichip far hotter than it ever was when it wasn't starting and it started everytime. So I left the car idling with the car heater on and still no problems. No matter what I try I can't recreate the issue by applying heat to the car it starts fine. Seems as though the under bonnet temps weren't up at Fulcrum when it failed I doubt it is anything under there but it only seems to happen when there are high ambient temps making the cabin hot.

I am stumped, any ideas?

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
First thing to check with this is the TDC sensor, or crack sensor as some mechanics will call it, could be dirty or just need replacing, easy enough.

172 gravel rally
First thing to check with this is the TDC sensor, or crack sensor as some mechanics will call it, could be dirty or just need replacing, easy enough.

This was the first thng I thought and it has been replaced for the new type.