ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Car loosing power under acceleration

Hi guys,

I was sitting in traffic today and I heard my engine start to almost splutter. Thinking it was going to stall, I put my foot on the accelerator to rev it and it sounded fine but then the rev's died down a bit and started to splutter again. I kept doing this thinking it was going to die on me until I managed to get to a carpark and had a listen from the exhaust. I put my hand over the exhaust and it wasn't expelling in a steady manor but more of a intermediate, rhythmic cough. I turned the engine off and when I started again, it was fine. I also think there was a slight smell too but I can't be certain that was the car because it disappeared after I drove away.

fyi too, whilst I was driving, with my foot on the accerlerator, the power to the engine would just cut out and it felt like no power was going to the engine anymore.

Just over the weekend I changed my backbox exhaust cos it fell off but I checked under there and there's no leak or anything, however I do know for a fact there is a small hole in the exhaust near the cat cos it pop's when I rev. Could this have anything to do with it?

Sorry for the long post but I would be very grateful if anyone can point me in the right direction of fixing my problem!

Cheers

CX-7,westfield,ix20
Engine temp sensor?

Had EXACT same symptoms on my old 106 gti and took hours of fiddling before I though to check that out lol.

Got it checked out on a diagnostic machine as a favour and the temp sensor was telling the car it was -40 degrees so the car was chucking in the fuel which was causing it to cough and splutter and cut out form time to time!

Ford Puma
As said it sounds like either the COIL PACK (most likely) or the Lamda/HEGO sensors.

Easy fix for both :D