ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Car lunges / pulls violently to the left under heavy breaking

Sunflower & Golf Mk6 BMT
Wondering if anyone can help narrow this one down for me, or point to most likely cause:

Car in question: 172 Ph1.

Symptoms:

Car lunges / pulls violently to the left under heavy breaking
ABS light is on and ABS is not working. Under heavy breaking the front left wheel locks up but the right does not.
Wishbones bushes, lower ball joints and track rod end bushes are almost new and in good condition, slight play in steering rack but only very minor.
The left disc and break pads seem to be wearing quicker than the right. (The left disc has a larger wear lip than right.)
I do have two different tyres on the front temporarily but not convinced this is root cause.
Dont get any knocking noises or banging.
Under heavy breaking I can hear an ABS switch type clicking noise

Could the an ABS malfunction cause this? ie: ABS kicking in on one side but not the other?

Could it be a faulty caliper?

Break bias settings?

Anything else?

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
Taken the caliper apart to make sure everything is moving freely?

I had a siezed slider on mine and the brake was not retracting, so sticking on a bit, you could be the other way around, sticking, but off.

Sunflower & Golf Mk6 BMT
Not striped down the calipers yet but that's my next thing to do.

The brakes don't bind at all thou. :-/

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
The missuse of the word brake it hurting me lots.

But i reckon it's the ABSring/sensor, sticking calipa.

I know nothing about cars lol.

Da

Less
ABS ring is my guess.
My mum's clio used to do this, I bought the ABS ring for £11 and fitted it myself.