ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Car revs up and down when not in gear

2003 Clio 172 Cup
I replaced my air filter and gave the air box a clean the other day on my 2003 172 Cup. However, ever since then the revs keep going up and down between 1250 and 1500rpm when the car is not in gear, such as when I am stationary or if I put it in neutral and roll at any speed. Its also more difficult to get a smooth start when in first gear, instead the car will often judder slightly before getting going.

When this first happened there would also be a slight increase in the revs whenever I dipped the clutch to change gear, but this doesn’t seem to happen any longer, its just the issue with the revs constantly going up and down.

Any ideas what this could be?

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
Have you made sure you plugged in all the little hoses on the 90 degree bend?

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
i think there is 2, one goes to the acoustic valve and the other goes behing the coilpack?

Golf GTD Mk7
there isn't one attached to the coil pack, but there is one at the back right hand side and front right also. Might be one of these, but you wouldn't have removed them if you were just cleaning the airbox surely????

2003 Clio 172 Cup
I'm pretty sure that I have connected everything correctly back together when refitting, but I will check again. Thing is, why would it have got better by itself after a few days if something is disconnected? Is there anything else that may cause this?

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
there is one that goes behind the coilpack it goes from the 90 degree bend to there.

2003 Clio 172 Cup
I took the whole air box out but I put everything back that I disconnected. Unless something has come out by accident. What do this pipes look like exactly and what do they do so I can make sure they are connected properly?

Golf GTD Mk7
I took the whole air box out but I put everything back that I disconnected. Unless something has come out by accident. What do this pipes look like exactly and what do they do so I can make sure they are connected properly?

Could anything have been knocked? TB electrics? Loose wire?

2003 Clio 172 Cup
I've just checked that pipe that goes behind the coilpack and its connected properly. I took it off and there was some oily gunk in it so I cleaned that out, but as I say it was always connected.

Something may have been knocked, I just don't want to have to buy a new TB unless I'm absolutely sure that this is the cause of the problem given their price. I have checked every plug that I can see today and nothing seemed to be loose.

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
A pipe? or an electical clip? :S don't remember removing one, but might be wrong. Plenums off at the mo as well.

Picture this on the car

TB2174.jpg

That smaller pipe goes behind the coilpack, almost underneath it.

And this one

DSCF0495-1-1.jpg

Circled in black, I think if that ones disconnected at either end it causes high idle.

2003 Clio 172 Cup
My pipe is definitely connected to the point underneath the coilpack. The other pipe that you have circled in black is also connected, but I dont know if the other end of this pipe is connected properly.

Could this also be the cause? And where does the other end go?

Golf GTD Mk7
Picture this on the car

TB2174.jpg

That smaller pipe goes behind the coilpack, almost underneath it.

And this one

DSCF0495-1-1.jpg

Circled in black, I think if that ones disconnected at either end it causes high idle.

Ah i'm with you now ;)

That doesn't make a difference on mine when removed. The front one will though.