ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Car sounds rough, got beat by a CTR...

Flame Red 172!
My 172's been sounding pretty rough and feeling quite sluggish recently so i've been driving it pretty slow instead of burning round like I usually do. The other day I was behind a CTR who thought he would have a bit of fun...

Kept up with him through 1st and 2nd and then he pretty much crapped on me when I shifted into 3rd, really struggled to keep up.

Never come up against one so I was wondering if this is normal, suppose it could have been tuned, definitely had a after market exhaust on it so I don't know.

Anyone think it might be worth me taking it into a stealer and getting it hooked up to a diagnostic to see if they can find anything wrong with it???

megane 225
To be honest CTR's are quick standard, specially when the v-tec kicks in and he can out rev you aswel.
does it feel really crap? when was the last time it has oil/filter change etc?
Just look for simple things before taking it there buddy.
If you get really worried then take it there but worth just checking before you shell out your hard earnt mular

MCS R56
CTR would normally be exactly the same to 100 as 172, mate so if you lost him in 3rd, either it was modded or your car is not well. A CTR will out-rev most cars on the road - it doesn't mean it is quicker. (BTW - I am not going down the "which is faster" discussion). May be worth getting looked at.

Flame Red 172!
Thanks guys, he definitely sh*t on me and i'm not happy with the way the clio sounds right now, just feels like something ain't quite right...

Any ideas how much it'll be to get a full diagnostic at a stealers?

Clio 1.6 16v Dynamique +
I am wondering whether you could have a faulty coil. I know I have a coil on it's way out and on a bad day she kind of sounds like a black cab and really doesn't seem to want to go for it. When the coil is behaving she sounds fine and goes like a rocket.

Just an idea.

Flame Red 172!
Thanks for your help peeps...

I was thinking maybe coil just from what i've picked up on here really...

Hmmmmmm, don't think my finances will stretch to £75-£85 at the moment, can any garage hook it up to a diagnostic or does it have to be renault, is it a clip machine or something?

Clio 1.6 16v Dynamique +
Any decent garage will be able to do a diagnostic and find out if you have a faulty coil. It won't be that cheap if you need one replaced either as although replacing one should only take 10 mins tops, the garage will undoubedly charge a minimum of an hours labour, plus parts and VAT.

Edit: Get the garage to do the diagnostic and then get the coils and fit them yourself. It's apparenty pretty easy.

Mountune Tractor
let mike have a look at it @ rentech, whatever is wrong with it he will fix and then you can keep pace with the ctr.

172 CUP
I used to have a Civic Type R

now drive a 172cup

i would say 1st and 2nd gear is pretty much the same CTR might be a bit quicker but not much

but once rolling 3rd & 4th the CTR is noticeable quicker.

as above really similar to 80/100mph

but after that CTR is quicker

Shed.
what colour was the ctr ? as long as it wasnt yellow it doesnt matter. the day i get overtaken by a yellow car is the day i will be very embarrased and sell my car.

Clio 1.6 16v Dynamique +
what colour was the ctr ? as long as it wasnt yellow it doesnt matter. the day i get overtaken by a yellow car is the day i will be very embarrased and sell my car.

Tee hee hee. As long as you buy another Clio / Renault I guess we could live with that! :rasp: ;)

Shed.
haha yeah. Itll force me to buy a 1.6 >D

oh i just found out i got another years worth of payments on my car right now, which works out at £1000, so im gunna pay that of right now!!!!!

so back to the bank account and starting again at £1

Flame Red 172!
Nope, not yellow...gun metal grey.

Seriously considering getting one when the insurance runs out on the clio... :quiet:

Just phoned the local 'stealer' and it turns out they're much cheaper than expected...£35 for a full diagnostic check! Mentioned that other people i've spoken to said it was about £75-£85 and he laughed and said that they're renowned for charging honest prices when other dealers are total rip-off merchants!!!!

phase 1 172
my mate own a 53 plate type r and i wud say they are quicker, but it depends revs ur at sometimes he`ll pull away from me then others i`l pull away from him!, wen bein passenger they constantly hav 2 drop gears as much as ther rev higher than a 172 they hav less pull lower down

So in general, were best to stay away form jap type r's :( vauxhall vxrs and cupra seats i take it ?

Poor 172's aint fit to keep up ! !

:( :(

P.s Hope you get your car sorted mate, lets us know how you get on ;)

Civic's are faster for one simple reason... ask yourself, does a Clio do this?

Vtec1.jpg

Ph1
Might be worth putting it on a RR just to see roughly what its doing.

Im a proud owner of a CTR slaying 172 and they dont like being beaten. The excuses they come out with is amazing!! I just laugh at them ;)

RS4 480hp,STI 420hp,ELISE
My experiences with my 182 vs a mates CTR is I could easily keep up and stay a little in front when I'm next to him. But it becomes a different story when I'm behind him. The 5k kick comes in quicker than his Vtec so I have to slow down a little. Than his Vtec kicks in and I'm under my 5k, so he drives away easyly and than I can't keep up anymore

Quite mixed replies in this post.

So i take it the 172 has no chance against the CTR :(and the 182 has the edge ;)

Or maybe it all depends on driver and how hard he hammers his/her car. :)

Or when the clios 5k kick (VVTI ??) kicks in or CTR's VTEC kicks in :)

Your second and third opinion is true.

But:

I think there are Mk2's that aren't that fast. It's my opinion from what I see on the legal quarter mile sprints we have in Belgium. There are guys with Mk2's that aren't able to keep up with cars they should beat without any problem. Or maybe this is a point for you second opinion again :)

Last quarter mile sprint:

Mk2 VS CTR: CTR wins by 3 lengths
same CTR VS chipped Mondeo: Mondeo wins by 1 length
same Mondeo VS Mk1: Mk1 wins by 2 lengths
Mk1 VS Mk2: Mk1 wins by 3 lengths !!

Those Belgian Mk2's are soooooooooooooo slow, but they made them in 2 version. 169 and 166 hp. Normal tax on a 172 is 2500€. They sold a light version to bring the tax down to 1250€

If 166bhp is correct, We'll have 1.6 vti civics going past us as there 168bhp and a 9000 rpm rev limit:(

Ph1
If 166bhp is correct, We'll have 1.6 vti civics going past us as there 168bhp and a 9000 rpm rev limit:(

This 172 bhp and PS bizz is old news mate. Have a hunt on the search button :)

Nah the Civic 1.6 vti isnt quicker. My mate had one and i could turn him over easy when my 172 was standard.

From my runnings with them, 182's are errmmm 'milder' in the performance stakes than the 172 models.