ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Car Spraying

Valver Lookalike Mk1 Ph3
Here's another one of my posts with lots of questions.

I'm thinking of getting a compressor and spraying my car myself, what else will I need?

Think a rotary sander will be needed as well?

Where can I get the paint to spray the car with because I take it you can't use aerosol paint? Who would sell the body shop paint in small quantities?

ohhh big step spraying a car! would love to try this one day myself.. probably be crap at it.. best ive done is my refurb of my wheels. Spraying a whole car takes sum guts... sorry this didnt answer yer question mate.. but good luck :)

I use Jewal Paints in Wolverhampton. There will be various companies local to you who mix paint up to specification.

Have you sprayed a lot before?

Spraying a car is a very big job and could turn out stupidly wrong if done incorrectly.

You'd need to dry sand the whole car to key the surface and get rid of all those shiny parts so the paint takes to it.

You wouldnt be using a small quantity of paint though. You would use a fair amount to spray an entire car not to mention any repairs you do on it, filler, high build primer, wet and dry paper, activator, thinners, hardener, clear coat. Some professional bodyshops charge £2-4k for full resprays so you can tell its a big job.

Its not something to do if youve never done it before. very very easy to f**k up. ive learnt to spray in my apprenticeship, and its not something that takes an hour, it took me 5 hours to spray my valver. also, as for buying a compressor, it'll have to be a big one, i.e 100+ litre tank, and your looking £200 odd for that, plus the spray gun, as the guns that come in the kits are only really for primer, new spray gun your looking £80+ paint £100 including all the hardener etc, primer £50, sand paper £20+, your still looking at £800 odd to do it yourself, then another £500+ to get it sorted out when you f**k it up! im not saying your incapable, im just saying many people think its easy, trust me, its no where near.

Monaco Blue Mk2
Yeah, really isn't easy. Even just from spraying small parts, handles, side strips etc, it's clear to see how hard it is. I found the handles fairly easy but even just the side strips are a big step up from that! The key is in the preperation and thin, even layers of paint, and a lot of patience!

Valver Lookalike Mk1 Ph3
The car's pretty much a wreck, I'm not bothered about f**king up.

I know compressors are expensive, but that's the great thing about tools, once you buy it - you don't need to buy it again.

I take it a rotary sander is the thing to use to take it back to the basics?

Getting is sprayed professionally may even cost me less, but then I won't learn anything.

I do have little experience of spraying, but as I said, it doesn't matter too much if I f**k up.

Dual Action Sander.

Spraying takes a lot of time to master. Even if it looks like you sprayed it perfectly with no runs, orange peel etc. It could still come out ridicously dry enough to cut your fingers on.

Give it a go if you have nothing to loose. Good learning process but I would suggest practicing for weeks and weeks before you do it on a spare panel.

Edges first

Tungy
Like they said dude, spraying a car would be a big step if you want a good finish, no blobs, runs etc. If I were you I'd try source a friend of a rfiend or something that would spray it for you cheap if you supplied him with the paint etc?

Valver Lookalike Mk1 Ph3
What do you mean by edges first?

I will be practicing before going ahead with spraying the car.

I'm based in Kent mate.

When spraying I start with the edges of the panel first then move to spraying the rest of the panel.

I know someone that would probably do it for you but i'd have to ask him first but he'd probably charge £600-700 + materials.

Valver Lookalike Mk1 Ph3
I've actually got someone that would charge £500, I'm really interested in doing it myself though.

I'd prefer to put in the extra money/work and learn a skill.

Yea i know what you mean Rip3z id love to learn how to do it! Good luck mate... if you do go ahead with it take pics before.. after sanded.. between spraying etc.. keep a diary then post it up on here :)

Valver Lookalike Mk1 Ph3
I'll def post pics, I'm sure I'll need some more advice before long too so there'll be plenty more question yet lol.

Thanks all.

Valver Lookalike Mk1 Ph3
Someone in a body shop is going to teach me the basics for a week while his partner is away :D.