ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Car very grumpy on cold starts

Nissan 350Z
Just had my car (ph1 172) in for a load of work, including to fix one problem which was the car running a bit ropey on a cold start.

The work I've had done includes new cambelt and dephaser etc, clean up throttle body, new throttle cable and a service.

They have had it hooked up to their diagnostics but can find no codes, they also say they could not reproduce the fault.

Every time I cold start, it starts up OK. Sometimes the revs dip very low and tries to stall. Other times, you pull away, and then the car has no power whatsoever, and you have to either lift off or push the throttle down even more (it kind of feels like the engine is being starved of fuel or air). It sometimes seems to misfire slightly. After a few seconds of this, the engine is normal again for the rest of the trip (each trip is 20 miles, twice a day).

It is random as to how bad it is. It behaved perfectly this morning, but then tonight, it tried to stall and gave no power under acceleration for several seconds after pulling away.

Once the car returns to normal, its behaviour is fine. It pulls very strong, and gets up to 36 MPG on the way to work according to the computer (driving modestly, mainly urban, lots of traffic lights and roundabouts), which I think is pretty acceptable.

Having done some research, I seem to see the following as possible causes: Lambda sensor (but wouldn't that give poor MPG?), Inlet Solenoid, Spark plugs (don't know whether they were changed on service, will ring to check), HT Leads or coilpack.

I'm asking which one sounds most likely? Or something else? I've seen some even report remaps helping but to me, a none remapped car shouldn't be doing this?

TBH this sounds like normal behaviour. Certainly, my 182 quite often did this, and I know it's been discussed on here a lot over the years.

Petrol Blue 182.
Mine does exactly the same, no power when cold.

I just wait untill engines up to temp, no problems what so ever then.

Funnily enough, has only started to happen after I had my cambelt changed!

Nissan 350Z
Sorry for the late reply chaps, thanks for all your advice. Since I asked, its pretty random but certainly isn't getting any worse, so I'll leave it as the car is running spot on!