ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Car WON'T Stall/Stop!

2004 1.5 DCi 80 Dyna
The car wouldn't start this morning until I managed to put it in gear and start it, gave it a few revs and set off as normal, the battery was fine so god knows what was wrong with it.

On the way back from work I started the engine and pulled off as normal but at the traffic lights, the car kept creeping. I stopped round a corner and tried it again, clutch up and it went off, usually I need to put a little gas to get it going but it did it without and stayed at a constant speed, it didn't slow down, even when I put it into 2nd gear, it just picked up speed.

I tried it on a hill start, no acceleration, and it still didn't stall, just kept moving up the hill, no juddering, no warning lights.

When the car is in neutral it idles as it should.

A video of the hill start, once moving I wasn't touching anything pedal wise..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-qFYAZlwM_s

I have my MOT in 48 hours:(

Any Ideas?

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
Guessing the clutch has broke? Tried removing that mat?

Saab 93 Aero Wagon
All cars can pull off on idle as long as you don't jump off the clutch.....but pulling away on idle on a hill is a neat trick.

I can't imagine it will trouble the MOT.

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
how is removing the mat going to solve it lol.

and new clutch sounds expensive, we talking more than £200 from local garage?

Because the reason the car is moving forwards is cos the clutch is biting, it might not bite if the matts removed because you'll be able to push the clutch pedal down slightly more.

bmw e92 330d '09
nope, unleaded

ahh i aint got a clue then lad, diesel's do that but never seen an unleaded do it. i cant help, if its summat major the MOT will pick it up if not dnt worry but it will just bug you till you find out whats making it happen! haa!
good luck

2004 1.5 DCi 80 Dyna
Because the reason the car is moving forwards is cos the clutch is biting, it might not bite if the matts removed because you'll be able to push the clutch pedal down slightly more.

I see what your saying but, there is the biting point and then past that, it should stall, especially if it is going up hill with no foot on gas pedal? It should judder to a stop, but it is pulling away.

E30 318iS x2
how is removing the mat going to solve it lol.

:D Made me laugh

Bit of shaky left foot syndrome in the vid lol!

Does sound like the clutch is knackered. Did you have your foot flat to the floor on the clutch when it was creeping? it could be the clutch master or slave cylinders (more likely the master isn't giving enough pressure to the slave cylinder) I had this problem with my BMW. But FYI, I pull away and get up to about 15mph in ques on idle from 1st to 3rd.

2004 1.5 DCi 80 Dyna
Did you have your foot flat to the floor on the clutch when it was creeping?

when the clutch pedal is up, was when it continuously moved, fully pressed down, and it slows as normal.

f**ked clutch, shouldn't fail MOT and around £200-£300 to get it done!

If I leave it for a week or so and coast in neutral (it drives fine normally) should this be ok? its not going to break anything else in the engine?

also, I hear it is fiddly for a garage to get to, so while it is getting done, is it worth changing anything else next to it that might need replacing in the future? (its done just under 55K)

Last edited:
  clio 182 & Fiesta RSTurbo
The car wouldn't start this morning until I managed to put it in gear and start it, gave it a few revs and set off as normal, the battery was fine so god knows what was wrong with it.

On the way back from work I started the engine and pulled off as normal but at the traffic lights, the car kept creeping. I stopped round a corner and tried it again, clutch up and it went off, usually I need to put a little gas to get it going but it did it without and stayed at a constant speed, it didn't slow down, even when I put it into 2nd gear, it just picked up speed.

I tried it on a hill start, no acceleration, and it still didn't stall, just kept moving up the hill, no juddering, no warning lights.

When the car is in neutral it idles as it should.

A video of the hill start, once moving I wasn't touching anything pedal wise..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-qFYAZlwM_s

I have my MOT in 48 hours:(

Any Ideas?

Last edited:
  1.5 Clio Dynamique
thats normal isnt it. all cars do it. (that was one of the first things i did in my first driving lesson)
try doing it in 2nd for abit of extra speed ;)

but to test the clutch you should park it in on a hill put it in 5th, raise the revs then lift the clutch. if it stalls then all is fine

very doubtful that anything is wrong at all

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
Actually looking it it again, i don't get whats meant to be going wrong?

Unless it moves along when the clutch pedal is pressed all the way down?

Titanium 182
He doesn't think his car should be able to go up that hill* without stalling.

*Slight incline.

Un chaved corsa c
Someing like this happend to me i was able to set of in fifth gear and drive normal i then stopped and thought WTF,so i tried it again and it stalled its a wierd experaince.