ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Car wont start / dash lights flash during driving

JMR

RB 182 Cup
Been away in the 182 all week on holiday.
Not missed a beat really, drove the 2 hours back and parked it away for the night.

Got the car out this morning, mrs went out for a spin, 60-mile round trip and parked back up in the sun, half on the pavement outside the house, as we were going to have a sandwich and cold drink before going out again.

About an hour went by, jumped in the car, nothing, the dash lights came on as normal, but the engine didnt turn or anything.
Rocked it and pushed it forward to see if starter motor was stuck, but no cranking at all rung out "battery"

Got my car out in front and the jump leads and after a bit of deliberation it started.
I drove around 30miles to parents house to pick son up and when we got there even after only 15mins it was as flat as a pancake again. :S
Jumped it this time with dads car, was low on fuel so he followed me to Total garage, I filled up and guess what, flat again. Queue the lucky jumpleads, again.:mad:

Once on the way out and once on the way back both times very close to destination, the dash lights came on, SERV, traction, battery, stop, Power steering, then went straight of after about a second. (i heard a relay click in from the glove box area when this happened)

I've put it in the garage with the battery charger on overnight and its charging, we'll have to see if it hold its 'maintain' charge in the morning.

Any ideas guys?
Needless to say, I'll be booking it in for a check up later this week.

BG Clio 182/RR Sport
Been away in the 182 all week on holiday.
Not missed a beat really, drove the 2 hours back and parked it away for the night.

Got the car out this morning, mrs went out for a spin, 60-mile round trip and parked back up in the sun, half on the pavement outside the house, as we were going to have a sandwich and cold drink before going out again.

About an hour went by, jumped in the car, nothing, the dash lights came on as normal, but the engine didnt turn or anything.
Rocked it and pushed it forward to see if starter motor was stuck, but no cranking at all rung out "battery"

Got my car out in front and the jump leads and after a bit of deliberation it started.
I drove around 30miles to parents house to pick son up and when we got there even after only 15mins it was as flat as a pancake again. :S
Jumped it this time with dads car, was low on fuel so he followed me to Total garage, I filled up and guess what, flat again. Queue the lucky jumpleads, again.:mad:

Once on the way out and once on the way back both times very close to destination, the dash lights came on, SERV, traction, battery, stop, Power steering, then went straight of after about a second. (i heard a relay click in from the glove box area when this happened)

I've put it in the garage with the battery charger on overnight and its charging, we'll have to see if it hold its 'maintain' charge in the morning.

Any ideas guys?
Needless to say, I'll be booking it in for a check up later this week.

I had the same issue!! you need a new alternator!! 110amp! looking at £150.......some on ebay for 95!!

Hope This Helps

Nick

JMR

RB 182 Cup
I said its one of two things.
Battery unable to charge.
Alternator.

Thanks for the reply, I'll see if I can get enough charge in overnight.
£150 fitted or part only?

BG Clio 182/RR Sport
I said its one of two things.
Battery unable to charge.
Alternator.

Thanks for the reply, I'll see if I can get enough charge in overnight.
£150 fitted or part only?

Yeah I'm 95% its the alternator! seems it cant hold the charge!! make sure you keep the c/c lights off where possible!! Theres alot of toys pulling from the battery!!

Check ebay out theres a firm in the east mids that sells the 110amp alturnator for £95...... A local garage will charge 2 hrs labour!!! Most people take the bumper off, although you can get into it with it on! My mate did mine as he has a garage!! I think you will be looking at 150-200

Cheers

Nick

JMR

RB 182 Cup
Cheers Nick

Im based in East Mids, I'll get my man at the garage to sort it out.
Its booked in for Wednesday.

The Optimate charged the battery fully last night so I'm suspecting Alternator probs.

182 Cup
Cheers Nick

Im based in East Mids, I'll get my man at the garage to sort it out.
Its booked in for Wednesday.

The Optimate charged the battery fully last night so I'm suspecting Alternator probs.

if your're anywhere near nottingham, get Mick at Diamond Motors to have a look :)

JMR

RB 182 Cup
Havent got a meter, tried to borrow one last night but no luck.

The charger indicated that the battery was maintaining charge.
However when I tried to start the car I had nothing.

Turned the lights on and they just went dim and everything went off straight away.

So I'm now suspecting the battery is dead and unable to charge to max.
I'll have to see if my mate from the garage will pop over and have a look.

JMR

RB 182 Cup
if your're anywhere near nottingham, get Mick at Diamond Motors to have a look :)

All I hear is good reports about Mick.:)
If I thought I'd get over there without breaking down, or he'd come out to me I'd use him.

I had the Gordini in at my nearest Renault dealer a couple of weeks back and they were sh!t.
They forgot to screw the ignition coils back in the top of the engine as theyd had the spark plugs out.

It wont be going back.
They left the bolt on top of the scuttle panel in front of the windscreen - on the outside of the car!!

JMR

RB 182 Cup
The mechanic came around from the local garage, slipped the old battery out, fitted new one.

Started first time, had a good long drive out in it and have done a few short trips to town and back.
Seems to have done the trick.

Mechanic says if the battery is flat and you jump start it, if the car will go from A to B on a decent run, then the alternator is working fine.
Pleased this is sorted