ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Cars has been standing for 12months, wont start.

Renault clio 1.6 16v
my 02 1600 16v clio has been standing for 12months. The battery is fully charged but it wont turn over, so i think its a fuel issue, because the spark plugs are dry after trying to turn the engine over. Maybe a fuel pump problem? can anyone help please.
Henry

BMW M135i
Can you hear the fuel pump prime? Checked fuses? Relays operating when you turn the ignition on?

BMW M135i
In the tank, you should be able to hear it prime when you turn the ignition on. You checked all the engine bay fuses?

The Boosh!

ClioSport Admin
  Elise, Duster
empty the tank and put new petrol in it... your petrol will have gone off. iirc petrol goes off after 8 months or something? might be just dreaming though

Renault clio 1.6 16v
thanks, i will check the pump now, i dont think its working, because there is no obvious noise.

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
Sounds daft, but how do you know the battery has charged? If you've just put in on charge after 12m of sitting still, its probably fucked.

For the sake of £25 i'd buy a new battery and go from there.

Laguna Estate
When you turn the ignition on you should hear a slight whine that last half a second, thats the fuel pump priming up

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
Starter motor could be stuck?

Put it in 2nd gear and rock the car back and forth. Although if your not hearing the fuel pump turn on, chances are its an eletrical issue.

Iceberg 172 Cup
put the car in gear, (1st or 2nd) and keep rocking the car backwards and forwards....might free things up..... If there was no fuel ur engine would still turn over. If ur sparkplugs werent sparking ur engine would still turnover....

What about the starter motor?

Uve got power issues IMO. How bright are your headlights?