ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

central locking fuse keeps blowing every time i set off ???

Renault Clio RT 1.2
Hello

i have a 2000 Renault Clio RT Authentique, recently i have been having problems with a 5amp fuse that seems to be a fuse for my central locking system.

The fuse seems to blow when i set off, but not always, i loose my power steering, window wipers, indicators, central looking and all electric windows. My headlights, brakelights, and cd player all still work just as fine.

I have changed the fuse several times and the same thing occurs, I have recently been using a 10amp fuse instead of the original 5amp just to get my car started in the morning and then i remove the fuse disabling my power steering and indicators etc. I then have to put the 10amp fuse back in to be able to lock my doors when i need to.

I need my car for college so there is no other alternate way for me to get there, and i cant seem to think what the problem could be.

And i dont want to take it to my local garage unless its a last resort

Any ideas im willing to try, thanks

Mark

RARE Unmolested Corsa sxi
Have you replaced the battery recently?
Perhaps it's proving too much power?
Just a thought.

Renault Clio RT 1.2
Nope, i havent touched any of the electrics since i bought my cd player which was 8 months ago.

Ive changed the fuse and now using a house hold 5 amp (240 volts no 12) and soo far i havent had any problems, it may be too early to tell

thanks for the advice

Renault Clio RT 1.2
yeah im positive!

whati dont understand is why it blew in the first place and why did it keep on blowing?
Could there be a trapped or a corroded wire or some sort ?

I have disabled the automatic central locking feature off and since then the fuse hasnt blown which im guessing there is a bad connection somewhere?

thanks for the advice

Da

Less
If you're using 240v 5A fuse wire my guess is that it'll never blow, just melt your electrics! ;)

Fuses blow for a reason, to bypass a fuse is asking for trouble.

If you're sure it's the central locking blowing the fuse then you'll have to start disconnecting the motors to eliminate them. If it still blows then work your way along the loom, but finding it will be a right task!

Does the c/locking still lock/unlock when you leave the car parked up?

Monaco Ph2 172
Not really a fix, but can't you press and hold the central locking button in the car so that it turns off the central locking's 'automatic lock' when pulling away...?

Renault Clio RT 1.2
The fuse only seemed to blow, after setting off from having the doors open, (ie dropping someone off/picking someone up)

im no expert but i just thought that it was the ampage you had to worry about and not the voltaged, but ill have to work my way along the loom, like you said

Yes my central locking works fine when im locking/unlocking the parked car.

And yes since i turned off the automatic lock (holding the button for 5 seconds) it hasnt had any problems, indicators, wipers, it all works fine!

its just now im worried about the fuse wire im using, but the normal fuses are still blowing

thanks for the advice

BMW M135i
Firstly put a fuse back in before you burn out your car fuses are there for a reason, its a textbook way to start a fire. With the auto door locking turned off does it still blow a fuse?

Renault Clio RT 1.2
I have put a 5amp 12 volt fuse back in just like the original, and the fuse has not blown since i have taken the automatic central locking off.

i regularly take my car out just to see if the fuse does blow, and it hasnt yet!

Renault Clio 1.2 8V
I'm guessing the car is long gone :) but just wondering if it ever blew again later. I've got the same problem in my Clio 2008 - car completely dies, can't turn it over, replace the 5 amp CL fuse, and car fine for a day or two and then it blows again.

Tested the battery, it's healthy holding charge - alternator test seemed to pass okay as well. Checked all the wiring seals between the door and the body, they look in good nick, not sure what else i can check.

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50
You’ll need to fault finding the circuits controlled by that 5A fuse. Chances are, it’ll be a door lock actuator or damaged wiring, in the flexi sections of the door looms.

You’ll need to do some investigation though as a plug-in diagnostic isn’t likely to find this one.