ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Chasing rattles

Louis

I Park Like a C**t
ClioSport Club Member
I currently have the doorcard off after the regulator decided to get wrapped around itself. I'm wanting to put a little sound deadening behind the doorcard before putting it back on and just wondering if anyone can recommend some decent relatively cheap stuff to use?
I know there's dynamat but wasn't sure if there's similar that's cheaper out there. Hoping to go around replacing clips where there's rattles and also putting single sided foam tape everywhere. Fed up of rattles now! More everything buzzing ever so slightly. I know it's french, but there must be something that can be done.

Has anyone else ventured into reducing rattles/buzzes?
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=1710021755756897&set=gm.10155689784328517&type=3&ifg=1

I currently have the doorcard off after the regulator decided to get wrapped around itself. I'm wanting to put a little sound deadening behind the doorcard before putting it back on and just wondering if anyone can recommend some decent relatively cheap stuff to use?
I know there's dynamat but wasn't sure if there's similar that's cheaper out there. Hoping to go around replacing clips where there's rattles and also putting single sided foam tape everywhere. Fed up of rattles now! More everything buzzing ever so slightly. I know it's french, but there must be something that can be done.

Has anyone else ventured into reducing rattles/buzzes?

I've fixed a few rattles just by bashing the dashboard with my fist! It got even better when I rammed a couple of 2pence coins down the side of the dash too, and tightened up a couple of torx screws :)

Louis

I Park Like a C**t
ClioSport Club Member
Get some ear plugs. You'll never win against rattles in a French car, especially a 182 ffs.
It's not bad in my car, just things like the interior plastic trims buzz sometimes along with the pillars and tweeter covers. They only rattle and buzz because of parts that are illfitting, if you put something between them it'll stop the rattle.
I have loads of new clips so I'll just go around replacing lots that have probably worn over the years. They're 14 year old cars, so are expected to rattle nowadays! Out of factory if a car rattled or buzzed you would hope that it would have been rectified. They would never have been sold that way and just told 'oh they're french, sorry'.

I've read that flashing tape is good to use, anyone tried it? I'm going to buy some lengths of 6mm single sided foam tape for now and run it down the pillars etc.

Land Rover
Silicone spray is good for squeaking plastic trim, and as it leaves no visible residue it doesn’t matter if you get any overspray.

BMW M4; S1000 RR
As others have said. The padding becomes brittle over time and gaps appear creating rattles..

You can remove the dashboard and apply double sided tape or even better some vibrant or similar which should sort each part out. However I'd be afraid of starting that journey and not being able to finish it on something like a 15 year old Clio.

My 1 series has a few plastic buzzes from here and there. Ultimately as cars get older it exposes the cheaper materials used. Which these days is a plenty...

Clio_fool

ClioSport Club Member
I cured all the rattles in my Defender 110 and if it can be done in one of those, it can be done in anything
What did you do, fill it with expanding foam? ?
It's not bad in my car, just things like the interior plastic trims buzz sometimes along with the pillars and tweeter covers. They only rattle and buzz because of parts that are illfitting, if you put something between them it'll stop the rattle.
I have loads of new clips so I'll just go around replacing lots that have probably worn over the years. They're 14 year old cars, so are expected to rattle nowadays! Out of factory if a car rattled or buzzed you would hope that it would have been rectified. They would never have been sold that way and just told 'oh they're french, sorry'./QUOTE]
As someone who bought a brand new Renault in 2006 I'm sure you could find some old threads that read exactly like that!

My door trim was squeaking right in my ear and a bit of thin foam stuck behind it sorted it so some sort of padded tape would probably be the best option. It will be a long task though.

Louis

I Park Like a C**t
ClioSport Club Member
What did you do, fill it with expanding foam? ?
They actually told people they're meant to rattle from factory? I don't believe that.
I understand they did rattle as I've found old threads but it shouldn't have been the way! I don't mind chasing buzzed and running foam tape everywhere. There's not many panels!