ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

P2 Clio 172 - Rough idle & stalling

Clio II P2 172
Evening all,

Another poorly running Clio, same one as in a previous post of mine.

The car will consistently stall at seemingly any temperature when the clutch is pushed in while driving normally. It’s particularly noticeable when pulling up to lights etc, will start slowing down > clutch in > revs dip then engine chokes and doesn’t catch itself to bring back to idle speed. Fire the car back up and it idles normally around 650-850ish depending on how warm/cold it is. When driving normally through the rev range the car feels totally fine.

I have read just about every single forum post under the sun relating to this issue and I’m hoping someone might have a suggestion outside of the norm/what’s already been tried just incase I’m missing something obvious.

All parameters when reading from the OBD port appear normal.

I have done TDC, injectors, leads, plugs, coil pack & coolant temp. Belts were replaced 10k kms ago along with dephaser, water pump etc.

I have been assured that the timing is 100% okay by our local French car experts and I want to believe them but I just can’t think of anything else that would cause these symptoms.

So it boils down to 2 questions,

1. Is there anything not listed to try test?
2. Could someone explain how the timing could potentially be out, but not far out enough to cause valve slap etc

I know that there are very specific tools to make sure the timing is correct, if these tools were used I can’t see how the timing could have been done wrong.

I really do love this car and don’t want to sell it but at this point I’m at a loss, it’s been almost a year of this issue plaguing it and I’m just a bit over it.

Hoping the forum gods can help!

Clio II P2 172
Precat lambda been checked/replaced?
Otherwise a vacuum leak somewhere maybe?
Precat lambda has been checked and is giving correct readings, floats between 0-1mv. Is it possible for it to be giving correct readings but still be an issue? I know the electrics on these clios can be a little wonky at times.

There was a slight vacuum leak around the intake manifold but a new gasket fixed that, the issue still stuck unfortunately

hopgop1

ClioSport Club Member
Precat lambda has been checked and is giving correct readings, floats between 0-1mv. Is it possible for it to be giving correct readings but still be an issue? I know the electrics on these clios can be a little wonky at times.

There was a slight vacuum leak around the intake manifold but a new gasket fixed that, the issue still stuck unfortunately
Lambda should switch between about 0.2v and 0.8v a multiple times a second I believe.
Good picture here of what a new one looks like on live data on a decent diag machine.

G. Brzęczyszczykiewicz

CSF Harvester
ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182
Idle control valve or MAP sensor maybe? Don't know if either of those could misbehave without throwing up a code, but might be worth checking.

Clio II P2 172
Idle control valve or MAP sensor maybe? Don't know if either of those could misbehave without throwing up a code, but might be worth checking.
Is there an ICV on the P2 172s? Mine has FBW so I assumed there wasn’t one.

MAP sensor is giving normal readings at idle, but I do know they can be a little funny if they’re not seated properly. I’ll give it a whirl tomorrow and see if it makes any kind of difference, but im not going to hold my breath 😭

hopgop1

ClioSport Club Member
Is there an ICV on the P2 172s? Mine has FBW so I assumed there wasn’t one.

MAP sensor is giving normal readings at idle, but I do know they can be a little funny if they’re not seated properly. I’ll give it a whirl tomorrow and see if it makes any kind of difference, but im not going to hold my breath 😭
Yeah I think ICV is on ph1s only.

Clio II P2 172
MAP sensor was in solid, readings still look the same, lambda sensor also still giving the correct readings.
This is starting to do my head in a little 🥲

Clio II P2 172
Link to video of the car running.
The built in stabilisation thingy of my iPhone makes it look like its not rocking at all, but its rocking back and forth in time with the rotation? noises.

Clio Extreme
Mine is running badly on idle when warmed up. It is idling around 500-600 rpm. Any suggestions?

Attachments

• IMG_2472[1].MOV
    66.2 MB