ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Cheap track car any recommendations

172/B8 Quattro
That vid makes me want an mx5 even more and can pick one up cheap anyone ever turbo'd one I know they did on mcm

A 50/50 weight ratio compared to a fwd Clio = mx5 can take corners flat out. I regret breaking my race car now, I would of turbo'd it by now if I didn't change to a Clio. The Clio is still good but my Mazda I'm afraid to say was better round corners (the key is you need to set up the Mazda well to preform).

There's a guy on nutz called sturovo makes manifolds and down pipes for numerous turbos quite cheap and just bolt a Subaru td04 with relevant management like ms2/3 and supporting mods is good for 250hp.

Last edited:
  Mk1 MX-5 (x3), Westy
My 172 Cup was great, but at your budget I'd go for a Mk1 MX-5 for a track car. Reliable, cheap consumables, loads of used spares available, lots of knowledge on the' 'net and easy to work on - that's what you need from a car that's gonna be flogged half to death for a couple of hours a day...

Yes they are slow on the straights and it can get frustrating when toolbags don't use their mirrors, but you learn so much about carrying speed and how to drive that it's worth it.

Oh and of course it's right wheel drive, so wet trackdays are even more fun than dry ones ;)

Chi

Z4, VW172, R26
My 172 Cup was great, but at your budget I'd go for a Mk1 MX-5 for a track car. Reliable, cheap consumables, loads of used spares available, lots of knowledge on the' 'net and easy to work on - that's what you need from a car that's gonna be flogged half to death for a couple of hours a day...

Yes they are slow on the straights and it can get frustrating when toolbags don't use their mirrors, but you learn so much about carrying speed and how to drive that it's worth it.

Oh and of course it's right wheel drive, so wet trackdays are even more fun than dry ones ;)

How does right wheel drive work ;)

172/B8 Quattro
Oh and if timing belt snaps then don't worry just pop on other one in and away you go (won't feck it) and as adamR said real easy to work on and can be thrashed all day long without worrying.

Mk1 MX-5 (x3), Westy
Yep, non interference engine, although have never heard of one go. Full cambelt kit is £50 and can be done in 3 hours on the drive with a normal socket set though if you wanted... Full set of brake pads and discs good enough for race use and enough brake fluid to flush the system for under £200... I could go on all day :)

Steve

ClioSport Club Member
  ST3 8.5
Mk3 mx5, few tweaks very capable car.

Ask Adam he races against them.

Swift Sport
I've not read the other three pages of suggestions but an MX-5 and Ignis are both equally as fun as a Clio, if not more.

Swift Sport
Thought I'd remind myself how I miss mine...

9825292154_211f95bf7f_z.jpg

It was such a happy car, it just loved every second of my abuse.

Danith

ClioSport Club Member
  MX5 ND2/220 Trophy
Think I'm gonna sell my EP3 after the Ring trip in summer and get one of these instead for track.

I did drive one a few years ago and it was an import and it was pretty F'ing slow tho! Guessing that's easily remedied if people are tracking them. Would love an SC.

172/B8 Quattro
Look for an RS/VS import, 6 spd box, 3.9 LSD, 6500rpm redline, better cams and IMO go better with that combination as a NA car unless you find a turbo'd one.

172/B8 Quattro
I know where there is a VS one for sale ATM. I think £1495 in stock form ready to upgrade if you want one standard with your choice of mods

Chi

Z4, VW172, R26
If you like indicating and moving over for every other car on track to take over you then get an mx5 ;)

Mk1 MX-5 (x3), Westy
If you like indicating and moving over for every other car on track to take over you then get an mx5 ;)

Not true. If I had a pound for every time I'd overtaken someone on a track day in an MX-5, I'd... be able to buy another MX-5 ;)

Not true. If I had a pound for every time I'd overtaken someone on a track day in an MX-5, I'd... be able to buy another MX-5 ;)

where as if i had a £ for every person i had overtaken on track in my westfield , i'd have been able to by a Caterham ;)

172/B8 Quattro
Lol at the folk saying the rs drivers rubbish, a porsche with that much hp makes it a hard car to drive as they are very twitchy on the rear as the video demonstrates, you have to be a very good driver to drive one of them round at speed without killing yourself especially with all them camber roads on the ring. (no driver aids to help you out) hence the mx5 floors it into corners as it doesn't have crazy power, just right apart from the straight. Hence a turbo'd Mazda would be very special.

One hell of a toy this - http://www.mx5nutz.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=138885

i didn't say it was badly driven , i said a well driven one would have left it for dead , BTG time for a GT3 4.0 RS is 7.22 driven very well well

the MX5 was also driven very very well , which was my point ,

watch this video of 2 gt3's followed by a corvette around the ring on a 7 min 48 lap and watch the behaviour of them , and explain to me why the black one in the MX5 chase video looked twitchy and all over the place, i think you will work it out ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OA2Ot1Rh8fo

an average driver in the MX5 would not get near an Average driver in the GT3 , as for the mx5 having no power and thus being easy to fling into the corners i think you mean weight .

the MX5 driver was very very good and thats the point ,

in fact i take it all back about the black GT3 , the twitchy bit was caused by a curb and the bouncing camera of the mx5 , that GT3 was on far from a fast lap and he then followed the mx5 and then blasted past on the straight like the MX5 was going backwards

172/B8 Quattro
The Porsche rs is also quite light.

I agree the mx5 driver was very competent, probably his daily drive road :) but the rs driver wasn't that bad tbf, was taking over quite a few others.

He wasnt on a quick lap for an rs , and if he was he wasnt competant i am afraid , and that mx5 looked and sounded more like a track car than a daily

The Porsche rs is also quite light.

I agree the mx5 driver was very competent

Slight understatement about the mx5 driver , would you like to know what he does for a living?**

Clue: he will have done the odd ring lap now and again

Robert Serwanski
Test Driver at Koenigsegg Automotive AB

;-)

172/B8 Quattro
Slight understatement about the mx5 driver , would you like to know what he does for a living?**

Clue: he will have done the odd ring lap now and again

Robert Serwanski
Test Driver at Koenigsegg Automotive AB

;-)
Lol you could tell he knew the ring........feck that I'll wup him in my shitroen AX :)

172/B8 Quattro
Also on sticky khumo v70 and on a suspention setup he has developed .

As said a standard Mazda are not really very capable, you need these mods and set up right to make them special when racing, just like any track car.
Just the driver turned out a bit better than your average track driver.

This was mine which I now regret breaking

360F1503-D53F-41AD-90A4-B401796160E9-3494-000005A92C430327_zps617e5036.jpg

9f0a8c35702d1ca92fc6727ea5a24836_zps8ea99ace.jpg

As said a standard Mazda are not really very capable, you need these mods and set up right to make them special when racing, just like any track car.
Just the driver turned out a bit better than your average track driver.

This was mine which I now regret breaking

360F1503-D53F-41AD-90A4-B401796160E9-3494-000005A92C430327_zps617e5036.jpg

9f0a8c35702d1ca92fc6727ea5a24836_zps8ea99ace.jpg
I want a mx5 now.

sbridgey

ClioSport Club Member
  disco 4, 182, Meglio
MK2, gheeey

Nah that looks sweet, but i am sure i've seen it before!