ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Check this sleeper!

Seems quite a hike from the engine tbh, they're 195bhp standard, so I think that 330 seems bit on the high side.
I have seen a punto gt running coupe 20vt engine - thats proper hardcore !

1.8 16v Mk1 Ph1 + S14a
Seems quite a hike from the engine tbh, they're 195bhp standard, so I think that 330 seems bit on the high side.

Why is 330 unreasonable? The Nissan s14/s14a has 197bhp as standard on a 2litre engine. Given a gt28r, 555 injectors and a remap it will hit 330 bhp.

Not sure you have a proper understanding of turbo engines and what you can do with them.

EDIT: Just read the spec. I'm suprised it isn't making more power. Although "-Cold start, you need to give it half throttle to start and hold it there for 30 secs at about 2.5k rpm. Then it will idle fine." Would be a major source of concern. The turbo will die an early death if this is done everytime you start the car.

Matthew

Last edited:
  Better than yours. C*nt.

Why is 330 unreasonable? The Nissan s14/s14a has 197bhp as standard on a 2litre engine. Given a gt28r, 555 injectors and a remap it will hit 330 bhp.

Not sure you have a proper understanding of turbo engines and what you can do with them.

EDIT: Just read the spec. I'm suprised it isn't making more power. Although "-Cold start, you need to give it half throttle to start and hold it there for 30 secs at about 2.5k rpm. Then it will idle fine." Would be a major source of concern. The turbo will die an early death if this is done everytime you start the car.

Matthew

2.5krpm as a startup wouldn't do too much damage I don't think? 3k upwards is where you try to avoid as it starts to spin the turbo up properly, that'll just get it ticking round nicely with all the oil flowing and heat getting passed into the components?

I'll not hold on this one though, you may be right. I've never really messed to that sort of level with a turbo engine - I used off the shelf stuff for my Smart.

Mazda 2, MX5 Mk2.5 Sport
Mate of mine had a GT making nearly 200 BHP and that struggled for traction. I dread to think what that would be like in the wet.

Evo 8 Jap Crap
THeres absolutely loads of FWD cars out there running over 300bhp that get it down.

Proper suspension set up, launch control and a slip diff are your best bet

Turbos.
b****cks there are...

'Proper' suspension set up would mean a super soft front, there is no way of getting round the inherent problems of FWD. If you had massive slicks on the front then it might cope with the power, but it won't handle. Can't have both...

Mazda 2, MX5 Mk2.5 Sport
I remember reading about a Corrolla GTi-16 (quite a few years ago) with a turbo lump in making 250ish. He said the traction was still crap even though he'd fitted equal lenth drive shafts and an LSD.

Big power FWD's are ok if you want to do 1/4's but I would want one as a daily drive.

Evo 8 Jap Crap
Englebert i know of 2 big power FWD cars, ive been in both and trust me they can kick s**t out of some big power 4WD cars.

My mates old 331bhp Focus RS used to embarress a lot of exotic machinery.

Badger 5 (Bill) on seatcupra.net regularly races in the amateur classes around Oulton Park and Castle Coombe. His ibiza was running just shy of 400bhp last year and he battered a lot of 4WD machinery around both tracks. This year hes now running just shy of 500bhp.

Yes he still uses the VAG 1.8 20VT lump :D

Could show you many FWD cars that handle & get power down.

Evo 8 Jap Crap
Have a search around the vag forums for custard cupras 330bhp ibiza cupra then look at machinery he has beat.

Ferrari 430 just to name one ;)

Evo 8 Jap Crap
Badger%205%20RR%20Run-small.jpg

:approve:
http://badger-5.com/bin/Dyno/Badger 5 RR Run-small.jpg

_Tom

ClioSport Club Member
He's well respected on puntosports.co.uk. I'd head over there if you want to know more..

Scouger, so this is where you've come from sx ownership. Clio 16v's are great fun! :)

The one - you will always have big traction problems with that power and fwd.

_Tom

ClioSport Club Member
at the end of the day tho its still a s**tty Fix It Again Tony

Whats the point in that comment? At the end of the day you drive a clio.

Alot of hard work has gone into that car and its not trying to be anything else? IF you take a look on puntosports you will see he says he wants it to look like a run of the mill punto.

Fair play i say

Evo 8 Jap Crap
Big power in FWD is going to have traction problems off the line.

Rolling start and its not a problem

Hence why big power FWD cars do great on track days :)

RB 200 Cup!

Alot of hard work has gone into that car and its not trying to be anything else? IF you take a look on puntosports you will see he says he wants it to look like a run of the mill punto.

Fair play i say

Well its obvious they have spent a lt of money getting it fixed up like that I would just have rather saved up money and had a nicer car to start with

Evo 8 Jap Crap
With the money hes probably spent on that engine your not going to buy something "nicer" for similar money thats as quick

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
very VERY nice project, hats off to the guy for building that.

only one thing that puts me off is... ive heard it doesnt matter what suspension you put on a punto they still just dont handle, cant imagine 300+bhp helping that lol

still a very nice car tho

well isnt this an interesting read!

I am the current owner of the punto in question. its always interesting to hear other peoples views!

Some of what has been said seems a bit unjust to me, but at the end of the day we are all entitled to our opinions.

With regards to a few of the questions, yes it does have traction issues from a stand still however i doubt i will ever drive a faster car in my life time. When you can quite easily beat cars of similar power in a straight line it always brings a smile to your face. As far as twisties go, im not that reckless to try it, id rather live and be called a loser.

Yes the engine spec is good and could cope with more power easily. However is there really a need? is 330brake not enough in a FWD car?

Any further questions, fire away!

Evo 8 Jap Crap
Wouldn't of done it to a punto but i fully appreciate whats been done to the car and can understand what the car can do ;)

Mazda 2, MX5 Mk2.5 Sport

Fair play i say

I agree to some extent but even though I admit my clio's build quality is pretty poor its nothing compared to my mates Punto. To be fair the engine, clutch and gear box stood up really well. He didn't touch the engine or gear box just uprated everything else (bigger turbo, intercooler, chipped etc.) He had it running nearly 200bhp for 30,000 miles and thrashed the knackers out of it without blowing it up. The interior and bodywork just seemed to fall apart though.

_Tom

ClioSport Club Member
Chad yeah thats fair enough. I'm just pretty sure the guy that made this car didnt think, hang on i think i should use a car with a better build quality...

This is a toy...

i owned a punto gt (1.4 turbo lump) and ran a contant 22psi through it (obviously with all the uprated goodies) for well over 30k running 201brake without any hickup.

Its now on 90 odd k and structurally is sound and not had a major problem at all. I dont think that puntos are specifically poor build quality. You have to remember that MK1 puntos are well over 10years old now, thats along time and things have moved on somewhat in terms of build quality over the past 10 years. Maybe your all used to your clio's, i've heard that french cars are renouned for their build quality.

This 2litre punto has run god knows how many miles at this power and is structurally sound aswell. No sqeeks, no knocking.

Its how you treat and maintain a car that results in the car extending its lifetime.

FN2 Type R +MK6 Golf
Well done for building it in the first place mate.I'd love a go in that.
Now i just hope you meat someone from here in there 182 and trounce them

ian

Lol - I do have a clue, I just sold my Fiat coupe 20v turbo & am a regular on the fccuk.

To the owner of the punto - fair play to you :)
(reason I was a bit sceptical is loads of people claim massive power figures - but can't back them up at all) you've proved me wrong.

I dont think that puntos are specifically poor build quality. You have to remember that MK1 puntos are well over 10years old now, thats along time and things have moved on somewhat in terms of build quality over the past 10 years. Maybe your all used to your clio's, i've heard that french cars are renouned for their build quality.

good point, if you compared it to the build quality on a 10 year old clio, then fair enough, but not really fair comparing it to a new clio.

good effort mate

Mazda 2, MX5 Mk2.5 Sport
Chad yeah thats fair enough. I'm just pretty sure the guy that made this car didnt think, hang on i think i should use a car with a better build quality...

This is a toy...

True, sorry I'd just finished night shift and been awake for 25 hours. I may have even been sleep posting. I would have loved a car like that before I started to get old and soft.

Mazda 2, MX5 Mk2.5 Sport
well isnt this an interesting read!

I am the current owner of the punto in question. its always interesting to hear other peoples views!

Some of what has been said seems a bit unjust to me, but at the end of the day we are all entitled to our opinions.

With regards to a few of the questions, yes it does have traction issues from a stand still however i doubt i will ever drive a faster car in my life time. When you can quite easily beat cars of similar power in a straight line it always brings a smile to your face. As far as twisties go, im not that reckless to try it, id rather live and be called a loser.

Yes the engine spec is good and could cope with more power easily. However is there really a need? is 330brake not enough in a FWD car?

Any further questions, fire away!

Not trying to disrespect you or your car but pretty much anyone can make a car go fast in a straight line. It was fun when I started driving but these days I'd rather have a good handling car with enough power.

TBH although I wouldn't tell her I prefer driving the missus' MX5 than the 172 on alot of the roads by me. Its just a shame the engine isn't as good as the clio.