ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Chipped anyone

Hey guys/gals, i just wanted to know who has a superchip on their 172 mk1, i went to superchips in Uxbridge and the guy showed me a power graph of an increase of 10bhp, what i a want to know is if this is noticable and how the car drives? Also what is the best chip to fit? AMD? Im stuck!

if uv got a 172 then i wouldnt bother with a super chip or any type of "hacked" code. cus thats all "chips" r, just fiddled with code from the manufacturer.

wat u really want for optomum perfromance is a piggy back ecu, like the dastek unichip. this is fitted to ur car, and is perfectly tailored to suit any mods u have. this is doen by setting it up on a rolling road. with basic mods and a uni-chip youd be seeing about 200bhp at the flywheel and a better mpg! unichips and setting up go for about 350quid.

jimbo

in basic mods i mean airfilter(with a cold air ram pipe) and a decent exhaust. the unichip is mapped to that very engine, the car spends about 3hrs on the rolling road!!! the ecu is mapped every 250rpm, and at varying throttle positions, therfore squeezing the max amount of power and fuel economy from the engine. dastek gurantee i think its like 10% increase in power and fuel economy(minimum) or u get ur money back!! it even controls VVT extra injectors, nitrous shots, the lot!!!

jimbo

nah id disagree there im afraid. superchips and all them kinda thigns are gimmicks!!! they get hold of a standrard ecu map, and fiddle roudn with it, advance iggy timing here, and increase fuelling there. and most importantly increase the rev limit!

thats where the dastek is different. its actually tailored to ur engine, configured to those exact characteristics. the only better way after tha is fully programmable managment. for 350notes, u wont get better around. if 180bhp can be squeezed from a clio cup car with just an airfilter thingy, then with a free flowing, cat-less exhaust, with a unichip then i see no reason why 200bhp shoudlnt be possible. i reckon 200bhp would be the limit, but 200bhp wud be attainable.

jimbo

Watch your warranty & insurance chipping your 172, cos Renault wont do warranty repairs to the engine if they know its been chipped (they deem it unserviceable) and a mate of mine chipped his brand new Corsa, wrote it off and got no money out the insurance co. cos he hadnt told them it was chipped and they found it when they inspected the car. Also, Ive heard most insurers wont even touch a chipped car, while those that do hike up the price massively. Dunno if there are any exceptions to this tho... maybe Adrian Flux as they are more mod-friendly.

I got a quote difference of 200 pounds with mods. Without I would only pay 700 but then I just need to lower it and get a bit more performance

Chun.

Most people with those mods have got 185Bhp or maybe a bit more. Ok they used the superchip but even with the dastek I dont you an extra 15Bhp over the superchip.

Chun.

sorry jimbo, but i have to disagree. But on the clio cup cars, the exhaust they run is so free flowing even with the cat on, it makes anything wlse we can buy a joke. Also, the induction kit is a bit better than anything on the current market bar things like the viper. And the ECU is completly different, its a magneti marelli, the italian jobbie use by almost all F1 teams, wrc, GT global class etc. so it kinda beats the uni chip. Even though the uni chip is an amazing and great value buy.
Trust me.

(ex-2.0 Hybrid)CorradoVR6

Dont get a superchip heard bad things about them.
Go for a uni chip. and yes you should notice an improvement but I would recomend having an improved induction system and exhaust system to gain full benifits from it.

W

wyatt gates

i have superchip it does increase your torque i have had it on my mk1 for 39000 miles no problems.i have had it seviced 3 times the dealer could not tell.makesure you do not put stickers on car to say so

Wyatt, have yu been on a rolling road with your 172 since the Superchip? If so, any graph plots you can post?
Ive had problems fitting the Unichip, and have heard bad reviews about Superchips.

BMW 320d Sport

The key to the power of the cup cars is the custom engine management and thats it. Its not some black magic with the exhaust and filter. Anyone can get the same results on the inlet and exhaust, its the custom mapping that squeezes every last hp out of it. And to be honest IMHO the same results would be achievable on a 172 if you were prepared to sacrifice driveability and have all your power aimed at the top end say 7000 revs. Its a question of whether you want to build a car for one single-minded purpose - bags of go at high revs - or want something flexible and useful for the road.

The cup car filter is just the same box with a single bigger inlet rather than two small ones, hooked up to a ram scoop under the headlight. Ok there may be a different filter element inside the airbox but its not rocket science. Look at the WRC Peugeot, its the same principle - a sealed airbox with a single big cold air feed and a decent element inside. In fact I tell a lie, I think it runs a Green cone filter of some kind, but still housed inside an airbox.

W

wyatt gates

have not been on rolling road but it does seem to have more fizz