ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Choosing a console? Some great advice here....

A4 Avant
Again with a console you can get your mates round chill on the sofas and pass the controllers round. PC's are more single person use. Playing against friends (online or in person) is the thing that makes me pick the controller up. I rarely play singleplayer parts of games anymore.

Chris nails it as well, I don't know anyone else with a gaming rig so i'd be playing with randoms.

I'm a console fan too. Did the whole PC gaming thing during the 80s and early 90s and got sick of the hassle and expense.

Yes they're at the pinnacle of tech/graphics etc but unless you're a complete pecker then you'll understand that's a tiny facet of a good gaming experience.

I can buy a console for under a third (even when they've just been released let alone 12-18 months into it's life) of the cost of a decent gaming rig. It'll never need upgrading, I will never have to piss about optimising settings or checking hardware requirements prior to purchase and as Chris mentioned most peoples mates will have one if the two rival consoles at home whereas it's fairly infrequent you'll know a die hard PC gamer.

Mac + xbox360/PS3 for me personally is the way forward.

Evo 5 RS
You don't really have to be at the pinnacle now. It's very much a case of one size fits all with the exception of a few games. Ok so a lot of people would say well wtf is the point then? Well for a start (in my case) my mates play BC2 on PC, so I'll buy it on PC. You don't have to be a die hard gamer to notice how clumsy that game is with a controller. Vise verser for say Blur which is clearly a couch em' up

F82 M4
Two types of people in this thread:

a) "Gamers" who have blatantly only ventured into online game since the consoles could support it and;
b) Proper gamers who have experienced gaming at its best and probably started online gaming in the days of 56k.

Consoles will just never give as good-a experience as PC gaming because of the hardware limitations and lack of customisation. Having said that, consoles are still very entertaining, very easy to set up and play, and you can have Console LANs too (me and my mates do this).

If I had to choose one it would be the PC just because you can't beat the raw gaming on them, but I still use my 360 all the time.

Exactly what I said on the first page mate ;)

I remember the days of playing CS with a ping >200 on the 56k. We were called HPB's. (High ping b******s :cool:)

My name is Stew and I'm a proper gamer. (Not sure if this is cool actualy... :eek:)

Cupra
I remember the days playing 4 player Goldeneye on a little 14" screen. Now play Fifa on much bigger screens and still sit on the edge of the sofa to get closer! Lol.

Yep. I had some awesome times back in the day with mates and 4 player Goldeneye. It is the only game I have not started up yet, mariokart, 1080 snowboarding, wave racer and zelda have all been played, but I don't want to spoil the memory of Goldeneye. My 4 year old loves mariokart though.

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
Ah Zelda, still one of the greatest games ever made. I was a massive perfect dark fan. Multiplayer though.

Online it would have been immense!

Cupra
Ah Zelda, still one of the greatest games ever made. I was a massive perfect dark fan. Multiplayer though.

Online it would have been immense!

Can't disagree with you there. It was almost disappointing when you completed it! I never played perfect dark though.

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
:eek:

The game was actually awesome, same makers as Goldeneye.

CrippsCorner

ClioSport Club Member
  Astra VXR
Yep. I had some awesome times back in the day with mates and 4 player Goldeneye. It is the only game I have not started up yet, mariokart, 1080 snowboarding, wave racer and zelda have all been played, but I don't want to spoil the memory of Goldeneye. My 4 year old loves mariokart though.

This man knows about all the best games! Goldeneye is my favourite game of all time, simple as that. Four of you huddled around a screen playing that was awesome... 1080 Snowboarding I used to get all the high scores then give it to my brother and let him beast most of mine, then I'd try and beat his again ;)

I had a lot of fun playing online with the PC back in the days, mainly Command & Conquer and Quake 3. However gone are the days of having hours to sit and really get into a game. I've really enjoyed Uncharted on the PS3, best game since Goldeneye imo... but apart from that these days I just have a quick blast on CoD/DiRT/Tiger Woods.

Evo 5 RS
Perfect Dark / Golden Eye - f**king ace.

Every title since Rare got bought out by Microsoft has been shite. Well, apart from Viva Pinata :D

LY 182
I must find my N64. Think my sister has got it actually.

Interesting debate. I can't fairly offer comment myself, never having owned / played a high end gaming PC. However the Xbox fits my needs perfectly. The games are fun, it's affordable, looks good on my TV to me, and a bunch of mates are on XBL so there's plenty of banter there too.

Monaro VXR
Mine 27" i7 runs this...

ATI Radeon HD 5750 graphics processor with 1GB of GDDR5 memory

No idea whether that's good or not. The most it's ever been tested is on GTAIV. lol. It ran that, maxed out, at 50-60 FPS. It did get hot though.

I'm guessing Crysis would bum it. But then, it's not a games machine; that's why I have my consoles.

The iMac is basically a laptop when it comes down to it. It's based on laptop architecture so used laptop spec GPU's, Memory etc. Obviously they aren't as good as the desktop counterparts. However Apple for some reason underclocked the GPU they put into the iMac. It's actually supposed to be faster than it is. They have a mobility based 5850 GPU. Which they underclock in speeds to make it similar to a desktop 5750 counterpart.(on the low end of the GPU scale)

However if you are willing to clock it back up and up the fan speeds. You can gain some decent performance out of them. There are people who have got them running at mobility 5870 spec's. Which was one of the fastest mobility GPU's around. Again still not comparable to the desktop version. Around 1/2 the power of it but not that bad.

Easy to tell what GPU is fitted as GPU-Z will actually tell you it is a 5850 not a 5750. Cooling system is up to it when the fan speeds are increased though. Guess Apple just underclocked it so would not be as noisy.

I'm a console fan too. Did the whole PC gaming thing during the 80s and early 90s and got sick of the hassle and expense.

Yes they're at the pinnacle of tech/graphics etc but unless you're a complete pecker then you'll understand that's a tiny facet of a good gaming experience.

I can buy a console for under a third (even when they've just been released let alone 12-18 months into it's life) of the cost of a decent gaming rig. It'll never need upgrading, I will never have to piss about optimising settings or checking hardware requirements prior to purchase and as Chris mentioned most peoples mates will have one if the two rival consoles at home whereas it's fairly infrequent you'll know a die hard PC gamer.

Mac + xbox360/PS3 for me personally is the way forward.

You make valid points. That's why I also use consoles. I don't agree that you need to be a 'pecker' to want to play with the best graphics possible, though. For some people it's a hobby. They don't need to check system specs prior to buying a game, because they know they've spent a fortune on the correct hardware, and always know what it can and can't do. It's just a different financial frame of reference. Personally (and I'm no dk) I can comfortably afford to spend a good deal of my disposable income on keeping a games PC that's always up to the job. Other folk prefer to spend their money on tow eyes and bonnet bras.

Christopher

ClioSport Club Member
  Z4M
The iMac is basically a laptop when it comes down to it. It's based on laptop architecture so used laptop spec GPU's, Memory etc. Obviously they aren't as good as the desktop counterparts. However Apple for some reason underclocked the GPU they put into the iMac. It's actually supposed to be faster than it is. They have a mobility based 5850 GPU. Which they underclock in speeds to make it similar to a desktop 5750 counterpart.(on the low end of the GPU scale)

However if you are willing to clock it back up and up the fan speeds. You can gain some decent performance out of them. There are people who have got them running at mobility 5870 spec's. Which was one of the fastest mobility GPU's around. Again still not comparable to the desktop version. Around 1/2 the power of it but not that bad.

Easy to tell what GPU is fitted as GPU-Z will actually tell you it is a 5850 not a 5750. Cooling system is up to it when the fan speeds are increased though. Guess Apple just underclocked it so would not be as noisy.

Great info mate! Cheers!

Is it easy to overclock the CPU/GPU? Bear with me, I'm a hardware virgin, for the most part.

Christopher

ClioSport Club Member
  Z4M
You make valid points. That's why I also use consoles. I don't agree that you need to be a 'pecker' to want to play with the best graphics possible, though. For some people it's a hobby. They don't need to check system specs prior to buying a game, because they know they've spent a fortune on the correct hardware, and always know what it can and can't do. It's just a different financial frame of reference. Personally (and I'm no dk) I can comfortably afford to spend a good deal of my disposable income on keeping a games PC that's always up to the job. Other folk prefer to spend their money on tow eyes and bonnet bras.

PMSL. You were doing so well until the last sentence.

I don't agree that you need to be a 'pecker' to want to play with the best graphics possible, though.

I wasn't suggesting wanting the best graphics makes you a pecker, just saying that's not the be all and end all and thinking it is that makes you one. Some uber l33t overclocking, cooling system installing, case modding/lighting geeks seem to suggest it is which tbh comes across a bit gay/elitist. I'm sure plenty of us have fond memorys both recent and past of games they thoroughly enjoyed or online games with mates that were a great laugh that did not require cutting edge visuals and in some case probably had average or even basic visuals.

It's a bit like hollywood blockbuster syndrome, you can spend a f**kload of cash on CGI and still end up with a stinking pile of s**t like 2012.

That's a subject about s**t games though. An awesome game is an even more awesome game if it's running in high resolution with better visuals at 60+FPS and vsynced. Just because some people (rightly) are not willing to spend the extra money for that luxury, doesn't make it a less valid point. I doubt many console gamers would choose to have worse graphics. Not that we have a choice on those platforms. On PC the main limitation of how good a game looks and runs, is how much you want to spend. Even if the game easily maxes out, you can always add (or force if necessary) more AA/AF and increase the size/resolution. It's not for everyone, but IMO more console gamers would do well to remember where their COD's came from. They should also take a moment to think about where the hardware in the 'next-gen' consoles was developed and paid for.

That's a subject about s**t games though. An awesome game is an even more awesome game if it's running in high resolution with better visuals at 60+FPS and vsynced. Just because some people (rightly) are not willing to spend the extra money for that luxury, doesn't make it a less valid point. I doubt many console gamers would choose to have worse graphics. Not that we have a choice on those platforms. On PC the main limitation of how good a game looks and runs, is how much you want to spend. Even if the game easily maxes out, you can always add (or force if necessary) more AA/AF and increase the size/resolution. It's not for everyone, but IMO more console gamers would do well to remember where their COD's came from. They should also take a moment to think about where the hardware in the 'next-gen' consoles was developed and paid for.

Agreed, PS3 has 256megs of vram, GT5 screen tears like a good un. Mmy mobile phone has more lol!

All I'm saying is much like a film a well written, scripted, acted and gripping gaming experience does not need to have cutting edge visuals to deliver and epic experience. Bioshock being prime example. Granted it's a nice addition but it's more the cherry on top of the cake than the cake itself. I think some of the PC hardcore gamers get too bogged down in justifying (it's their money so don't see why they feel they have to) or bragging about the technical specs and performance of their rig and how it's so superior to a console when console users are having just as much fun playing their "inferior" less visually polished games.

LOL COD was invented by xbox was it? I was playing those types of shooters on PC when some of you console fanboys were playing stink finger with Sally ;)

RE: "just as much fun". That's a bit of an open statement. If person X has more fun (to them personally) playing an already awesome game, with visuals that he/she likes, then who is anyone else to say they have 'just as much fun' playing the same game at 30fps with screen tearing, ugly jaggies, and textures that disappear 3ft into the distance? I know what you're saying and I largely agree, but it's not clear cut. Some people want to spend the money for the (to them personally) better experience. That doesn't mean they like playing s**t games with awesome graphics.

Equally games are not s**t on the back of "average" or "below optimum" visuals.

I'm just saying there's a large number of the PC purists who'll put down consoles based on their inferior ability. I'd liken it to the type of douchebag who considers themselves a music fan but will dismiss anything that has become "mainstream" FFS music is music in the same way gaming is gaming. Just because someone has a gaming rig does not mean they are having more enjoyment out of their experience than the guy living next door who's sat on xbox live playing a less polished game against his mates. If you compare the same multiplat then aside from more polish to the look and fluid movement they are having the same experience and for most people over £1k for a little extra polish just isn't VFM over the great experience they're already having.

I do think that current gen consoles are creaking under the weight of some of the newer titles though and could probably do with the next platform arriving if I'm honest. That said I certainly wont complain if it's not until 2012/2013 as some people are suggesting before I invest another few hundred a piece on the next xbox and playstation.

Define more enjoyment though? I DO enjoy shooters more on PC. Mostly because they look better and play better with the correct control method. I personally DO have more fun playing them on PC, therefore your point is kinda wide open IMO. The debate cuts both ways. One camp justifies their choice by deciding for themselves how much fun someone else has playing a game on PC (lol). The other camp justifies their choice by pointing out that they have a valid reason for wanting to spend the extra money. What's valid to one person, isn't to the next.

There are some irrational PC fanboys, just as there are console fanboys. None of it is life changing stuff, but when the subject comes up, it'll be discussed by both 'sides'.

You're pretty much making my point. It's subjective, you personally prefer the PC when playing back to back in comparison to a console. Many console gamers don't feel the "benefit" of better aesthetics is justified by the additional cost and considerations required when PC gaming. So by saying you sat on your PC playing a multiplat in slightly higher res/detail/framerate are getting the same enjoyment as the guy next door with his xbox is a fair comparison IMO. I'm not saying the PC isn't technically/visually superior but then it should be given the additional cost and despite the graphics the actual plot, vibe, acting etc depending on the genre will be identical.

Yeah fair enough. Can't be arsed with a full scale debate on graphics on a Friday night. I've had pretty much every major console in history, and I continue to keep a powerful games PC. I have a PS3 and x360 and they all get used. I'm happy with my choices :)

Oh and you can't get the Uncharted games on PC, so you HAVE to have a PS3.

Although Uncharted would look even better on PC, and also be less fun, as those kinds of games are best played with friends on the sofa.

Monaro VXR
Great info mate! Cheers!

Is it easy to overclock the CPU/GPU? Bear with me, I'm a hardware virgin, for the most part.

Quite easy yes. If you download the drivers from ATI rather than using boot camp you should be able to up the speed somewhat in the official drivers. I also believe under the normal ATI drivers they jump back up to their standard clocks anyway. But really you want the software to up the fan speeds slightly on the iMac just to keep the heat down a bit. Software a lot use is macfan, basically allows you to set the fan speed to whatever you want. Normally they run at around 1/2 or less of there top speeds. But a lot of people whack them up to around 3/4 or full when gaming to keep the temps down also gives them a bigger overclock.

There are threads on the various mac forums with lots of details and how to's etc so worth having a look around if you ever want to try some games.

With regards to the CPU though, no point overclocking it. More than up to the job plus in gaming you get very little gains with CPU overclocks. Mostly all about the GPU.

You really need to get on the forums, tried having a look for the threads but there are so many of them and lot more posts now than when I last looked. But there are various programs some OSX based, some Windows based. So you can get the performance back under both OS's. As with steam now being on OSX makes sense to have the ability in OSX too.

There are guides and lots of feedback from people who have done it, settings you should try etc. So worth having a read of it all. Lots of info on the mac forums.